PDA

View Full Version : I need help please. Clanking noise from main shafft!!

Sgt_Buell
07-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Well I was on way home from work and pull in the drive way and that is when it happens, seems like ever 5 feet I would get a loud clank noise. So I stopped and turned off the motor and pushed to the garage and it was still happening with the clutch pulled in, Moved to neutral and I am pretty sure it went away. Removed cover to the front drive pully and the belt showed to be lose and the pulley has maybe .5 inch or less of side to side play. I tried to remove the nut but all I have that size is going to be my channel locks. (I already know this is not working, I know it is reverse thread) What do I do next? Is the circlip broke and the bearing slide out? I dont know but there is a lot of dust on the case in this area that looks like brake dust. Also anyone in the west columbus ohio area that wants to loan me a socket ratchet for this job it is much appreciated

chrispudd
07-28-2010, 04:53 PM
Sounds like a lot of play.. The nut is 1 7/8 and reverse threads (left hand) Torque is 50 lbft. Easiest to use an impact gun. Pneumatic or electric.
Not much else i can say, i had the cases apart and that output shaft stayed in place.
Best of luck, and pictures help a ton.

chrispudd
07-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Just another thought. If your tensioner looks ok and front pulley is okay, check your rear axle and see if it's tight. If it backed out, the wheel will creep ahead causing the belt to be a bit loose maybe?

onelogue
07-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Just curious, whats giving you the impression that you should inspect the front pulley?

Try opening the primary side, cause my bike was making a clanking noise at one point too and it end up being the front spindle that the timing chain spins around, the main bolt holding it was really loose. Just a thought.

Keep us posted.

Sgt_Buell
07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I will get some pics today or tomarrow, The feeling i have is because i can actually grab the front pully and wiggle it maybe 1/4 of an inch side to side, Checked the tension and it is tight. Just put on new wheel. I am going to day for a 3/4 inch drive set of sockets and ratchet. harbour frieght special. has like a two foot breaker bar. is it ok to put in gear cause I know i will just spin the wheel if in neutral. does anyone know if there is a replaceable bushing or an outer bearing on the other side of front pulley?

Buellysses
07-29-2010, 02:50 PM
[up] On checking the primary side. Check the tension on your primary chain. Too loose and it will slap around in there.

Sgt_Buell
07-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys for the info, I know I need a few parts now, I have identified the bad ones, Front pulled is stripped, needs new seal, spacer is ok i think, and the bearing that goes in there.

Sgt_Buell
08-01-2010, 06:47 PM
:)ok guys i was able to ride the s3t today, I replaced the front belt drive pully with oem 29 tooth, the seal, the quad seal, and the outer main shaft bearing, runs great except a small sound from the clutch side now, I removed my derby cover to fide the clutch ramp has a spring that hold a nut to the outside of the clutch ramp, since local stealer is closed does anyone know the name or part number for this?