PDA

View Full Version : valve noise @ 3500 - 4000 rpm 09 1125cr

bucephalus
08-02-2010, 05:40 PM
I have an 09 1125cr that has 5000 miles on it. Lately I've been noticing a sort of chattering of the valves between 3500 and 4000 rpm. At first I thought it was just the exhaust harmonics, but it seems like it is getting louder as time goes by but I'm not sure. The chattering goes away above 4000 and below 3500, but that is usually my cruising rpm, so it sort of sucks. Is this a normal thing or is there a big issue? I'm taking it back to the dealer for it's 6000mile maintenance, but am starting to think I should look into this noise sooner. Anyone have a similar experience, is this something serious? Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance!

07Bolt
08-02-2010, 06:49 PM
if it were valve chatter then its lacking oil there and the oil pump is faulty. theres been issues with 1125s and oil pumps from other members here. 5000k on an 2009 is a lot, so keep riding and suggest that the dealership check the oil pressure and quality of the oil when u have it serviced next. all buells tend to chatter at cold start ups till warm.

Mike Van V
08-03-2010, 08:40 AM
First...5000 miles on an 09 isn't a lot.
Many including myself (13,08xx miles on my 09, CR).

As far as the noise, does this noise happen while siting still ?
While kneeling down next to the engine, slowly rev the engine to the point that it normally makes the noise. Try to make sure where the sound is comming from.

Mine's never made any of what I thought, was odd sounds. Just try to better isolate the sounds and go from there.

It would be strange for the valve train to be noisy just at that small RPM range. Normally, the lower rpm will be the loudest and get quiet as the RPM goes up. Unless there IS a problem...the sound would do just the opposite, get worse as the rpm goes up. Not just be at a very small area.
Of course...not to say something couldn't be wrong..!

Good luck

Mike

bucephalus
08-04-2010, 07:57 AM
ummm....:( heh,heh. yeah....
Found the problem, feel like an a$$ since it's the first thing I should have checcked. oil was low! I had never suspected that the level would have dropped at all, but it had. Topped it off and she purrs like a kitten at 3500rpm. A big black 400 pound snarly kitten, but a she's purrin' nonetheless.

Thanks for the replies since that's what it took for my brain to actually turn on.

07Bolt
08-04-2010, 09:17 AM
the more riding you do, especially in the curves/hills/sharp turns, the more the oil is going to spread out to all parts of the engine; the corners of your rockers (since they sit at an 72degree angle) will harbor some oil over time, along with the oil cooler,lines and filter.

stuuk
08-15-2010, 05:00 PM
To be honest I dont know how you can hear individual noises on the helicon engine.
Its the most mechanically noisiest engine ive ever owned and is only just bearable with a loud exhaust and earplugs.

Mine sounds like the valves are going to break out the head all the time