PDA

View Full Version : Do I Need New Injectors/Cams??? HELP!

Buell_Rider
02-21-2008, 03:14 PM
I have a 05 Firebolt xb12 and I want to do a minor head mod to improve mid range. I haven't bought a pipe yet cause I'm not sure if I need new injectors/cams. Have any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,
Matt

LeFox
02-21-2008, 04:59 PM
why would you need injectors when installing another pipe??? [confused]

BuellPartsGuy
02-21-2008, 05:02 PM
Yeah you need to clarify a little more.

Buell_Rider
02-22-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm having 'Mega-Flow' port the stock heads and I'm installing new cams, but I'm getting some mixed opinions on what to do for fuel delivery.

Sorry about all the confusion, but any help is really appreciated!

Thanks!
Matt

LeFox
02-22-2008, 08:57 PM
why are you already flowing the ports when all is still stock???
that's a major cost for the result you'll get...[confused]

Buell_Rider
02-25-2008, 01:19 PM
Yes, my bike is stock. However I own several 'V-Twins' and I have had the heads ported, changed cams and changed fuel/air delivery and I have had very good power increases, however these engines are carbeurated. What I haven't heard from anyone yet is a good answer on weather or not I need to upgrade injectors?

Matt

LeFox
02-25-2008, 01:46 PM
these engines are carbeurated.
that's cause i'm not following you...i don't call a ddfi a carb [confused]

but i guess it all depends on howmuch gain you have in the air getting in.
should be tested, i can't give you an answer without specifics. :o

but if it is minor, as you mention, the stock injectors should be able to handle it.

dans03firebolt
02-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Yes you can reprogram the ECM to dump more fuel in there. You definitely don't need new injectors. Plus you said do you need injectors and that it is carburated in the same sentence. No XB model is carb'd.

mezap
02-25-2008, 11:15 PM
Guys, I think he was trying to say that the engines he did those mods on in the past where carburated, not the buell. He just worded it a little strange.;)

mezap
02-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Matt, I think you can get all the improvements you want without touching the injectors. Usually a race ECM, new filter and new pipe are good for (quoting others) 12 to 15 more horses. Plus you can try different mapping to boost the midrange. I wouldn't turn someone loose on my heads unless they were broken or something...
Very risky, and like someone else said, not much return for the investment. Just a thought...

dans03firebolt
02-26-2008, 01:25 PM
The only time you want to touch the heads like that is if you are changing cams or putting a 1050 kit on it or something like that where it will need the better flow. Porting and polishing heads and keeping stock intake and stock exhaust won't give you much of a gain at all.

Buell_Rider
02-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone! What I said about the carbs, was that I own 'other' older V-Twin engines that are in fact carb'd engines. Sorry for the confusion.

Can I re-program the ECM myself with software or is that a dealer only issue?

Matt

LeFox
02-26-2008, 06:25 PM
Can I re-program the ECM myself with software or is that a dealer only issue?
you can do it yourself, but i would suggest doing it on a dyno.
if you never done it, you could mess up your ecm & engine.

price to dynotune your ecm by a pro is about 250$...that's far less than porting, changing cams, etc.

vtwingearhead
02-27-2008, 09:48 PM
when it comes to the re-mapping portion of it i can help you out with software. if you do not have a dyno and have a shop that has one we can also train the guys at the shop to tune with it. if you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me. i have been working on the v-twin bikes for nearly 14 years now and have owned 3 S2 Thunderbolts. hope this helps.

Buell_Rider
02-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Thanks again everyone, I think we are finally on the same page. I guess my next question then is, what exhaust and air do you like and prefer? I want to change the head pipes also.

vtwingearhead
02-28-2008, 02:28 PM
stay away from the force pipe. it totally kills all mid-range performance. it makes ok numbers up top. just fyi

vtwingearhead
02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
one other thing i forgot to say. go to americansportbike.com and open the xb exhaust shoot out tab. it is a very good read. a lot of pipes were tested on the 9 and 12. check it out

justice720
03-20-2008, 04:28 AM
lefox:
why would you need injectors when installing another pipe???

Generally when ppl upgrade pipes they have to jet their carbs too.. the xb if fuel injected not carb'd so this isn't an issue.. you can just reset the computer/ tune the ecm for the performance upgrade unless you're doing something really drastic like a turbo.. I'd suggest a race ecm to complement the new pipe..