PDA

View Full Version : HOT!

vactor
08-07-2010, 08:30 PM
got my 1125cr today. it was in the mid 90's in chicago. the bike. is. a. BEAST. however, in the nearly two hours it took to go 60 miles (traffic was staggeringly bad) i have to admit, i was getting ROASTED on the bike. the right side of the frame was VERY VERY hot, almost too hot to touch, and the volumes of HOT air coming off the radiator shrouds was amazing. it pulls like a locomotive and is as easy to handle as a bicycle and makes noises to die for. but the heat's killing me!!! also, i'm concerned about the exhaust venting right onto the rear frame/swingarm and brake line. seems a bad place to vent HOT gasses. i was thinking of replacing the exhaust just to be able to channel the hot exhaust away from the bike. any thoughts? anyone got a manageable solution to the heat coming off the bike and making riding it uncomfortable? cheers! and i am hapy to be paprt of the 1125cr crew :)

brightbuell
08-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Well if you cant handle the heat on an 1125 you will never be able to ride an XB12. I ride an XB12R so I dont have any advice for you, but I do think you are the first to complain about an 1125 that I have seen. I would check you water and oil level forsure.

triple7
08-07-2010, 08:48 PM
I have the same thing with my 1125R. It roasts me with excessive heat in stop and go traffic.

brisbon
08-07-2010, 10:20 PM
my eb12r does too in traffic, so bad that i ride in the brake down lane if the case

Hammel13
08-07-2010, 10:44 PM
I heard of some people putting some kind of heat tape on the inside of the frame. I forgot what they were using but it looked like the stuff people use for dampning the sound on cars. might do a google search on it.

delta one
08-08-2010, 12:52 AM
I heard of some people putting some kind of heat tape on the inside of the frame

American Sport Bike has it

the exhaust venting right onto the rear frame/swingarm and brake line

D_adams of kenda design has some tips that he can mod onto your exhaust for you that turns it out

boreas
08-08-2010, 05:28 AM
I agree with brightbuell the heat on the XBs is worse,so I guess I'm just use to the heat when I went to the 1125.[smirk]

fwkapaun
08-08-2010, 08:30 AM
I live in central Florida and any amount of time in traffic roasts my chubby little thighs. The right side air scoop helps a bit though. My next big project is to get the header ceramic coated. Good luck, that's just the cross we bear for riding a Buell.

BRatigan
08-08-2010, 09:16 AM
DEI sells a reflective, flexible aluminum material that has an 1/8 inch or so thick fire retardent felt behind it that has an adhesive on the felt. Can be shaped, cut and fit to underseat areas and some inside frame applications. Really works on the XB12's.

BR

Red93stang
08-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Ur CR already has the heat pads on the inside of the right frame rail. My R is the same way in stop and go traffic, just something we Buell owners have learned to deal with over the years. My XB9R was pretty bad about heating up my right side as well, but I hate to say it but I think the 1125 is worse. Still love the bike though!

SchlongCR
08-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Do check your coolent level. My overflow bottle was empty when I checked mine. They do seem to run hot though.

popeye13433
08-08-2010, 01:28 PM
mine coolant bottle was empty at my 620 check as well. looking on pre-ride checks i thought i saw fluid but i guess not

09CRRED1
08-13-2010, 07:23 PM
yea when i had mine in the 80s it was hot as hell i was dreading it riding in downtown sturgis it probably would have been unbearable

Padave
08-13-2010, 07:35 PM
I think the ceramic coating is the way to go. According to a local vendor - the heat reduction is significant. That being said I will wait until winter to do it, since it's fairly involved to get them off, and can't bear the thought of not being able to ride while the weather is nice.

joseb552
08-13-2010, 08:10 PM
If you don't mind, about how much are you looking at to have them coated?

Padave
08-13-2010, 08:24 PM
It's around $100 bones. going to be getting them done in black - which will match my bike well. oh btw, that's coated inside and out

joseb552
08-13-2010, 08:38 PM
That's a lot less than I would have thought, might have to get that done myself this winter! I just got my CR last week, so forgive my ignorance, how difficult is it to get to the headers and remove them?

joseb552
08-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Would using something like this work for the headers?

http://www.secondskinaudio.com/thermal-acoustic-insulation/firewall.php#tab3

From reading the application instructions, it doesn't seem like a difficult job to me.

aptbldr
08-15-2010, 09:38 AM
How do ceramic-style coatings on inside and outside of exhaust system work @ exhaust's slip-joint connections?

joseb, Firewall is a neat product, but exhaust systems are not included in its recommended applications.

Padave
08-15-2010, 01:25 PM
On the website of the guys I'm gonna go through, they explain the benefits of having a ceramic coating - it's a little lengthy, but seems to explain it well:

Ceramics stand above all other thermal barrier coatings currently being used in combustion chambers. Ceramics have characteristics shared by no other product, providing an unrivaled layer of thermal protection to piston tops, aluminum heads, stainless, iconel and titanium valves. Ceramics "move" heat, reducing detonation and increasing the effective oxidation of fuel. When polished, it provides a highly reflective surface that further aids in improved flame travel. Unlike previous ceramic coatings, ours is not subject to cracking and flaking, which can lead to extensive engine damage. In fact, Ceramic coatings actually strengthen the coated part. The cured "Cermet" provides a cap of material that can withstand far more heat. During testing when sufficient heat was applied to a piston to melt the aluminum, the Ceramic did not melt, rather it held the softer aluminum together.

Unlike header wraps, ceramic coatings do not hold potentially damaging heat & moisture around the part. Rather, the surface temperatures are actually reduced, extending the life of the part. When cured, a very effective corrosion inhibiting film is formed that protects the part against oxidation and imparts excellent chemical resistance that further extends part life and enhances appearance.

joseb552
08-15-2010, 07:21 PM
joseb, Firewall is a neat product, but exhaust systems are not included in its recommended applications.

Yeah I noticed that after I posted. I asked them if it would work on exhausts / headers, we'll see what they say.

joseb552
08-17-2010, 04:27 PM
Well there goes that idea lol. Like you mentioned, not recommended for exhaust / headers...

Thanks for your interest in Second Skin!
we do not recommend applying any of our products directly onto any part of the engine or pieces directly attatched to the engine, however if you apply the product on a surface near the engine headers, between you and the source of the heat you will have fantastic results!

09CRRED1
08-18-2010, 03:06 AM
the front header is easy to get off but the back one you either have to drop the motor out or lift the frame up. i had my D&D ceramic coated as well as the front header and my mechanic just used some type of paint that was heat treated kinda like a paint on header wrap but that didnt help the heat problem but it looked good