PDA

View Full Version : Shifting/clutch problems

Mustang
02-25-2008, 01:12 AM
So I've been riding my 03 XB9S for, oh, 5 days now. When I first got the bike (test ride and all), I noticed that there seemed to be a LOT of clutch effort. But I just attributed it to being a different bike, and maybe needing an adjustment. The clutch (dis)engaged fine, the lever was just really heavy. Shifting seemed a bit heavier than normal too (I missed 2nd the first few times on the bike), but again, I thought it was just a Buell quirk.

Well today, I'm sitting at a stoplight in N, and go to shift into first and nothing - it won't go into first. I have to jam on the shifter to get it in...this problem repeats itself many times throughout the day, but not every time I try to go into first. On the way home, it started doing it at every light. I noticed that the shifter was way lower than normal after "jamming" it into first...but I could then just nick the shifter back into place with my foot and we were good to go. Now it's started to be difficult to get into 2nd as well, and all but won't go into first.

I did play with the shifter adjuster the other night, trying to fit it to me better... Maybe I just adjusted it wrong, or didn't tighten the nuts? I also checked the primary oil last night, and it appeared to be at the appropriate level. I haven't changed the oil yet, but the bike only has 1600 miles on it, and the oil looked clean last night (would've swapped it then but didn't have an appropriate funnel). Could it just need a primary chain adjustment? Any other ideas?[confused]

LeFox
02-25-2008, 08:22 AM
- 1600mil total, or is that your the milage with the same oil???
- brand & type of oil?
- what do you understand under 'play with the shifter adjuster'
- when in 1st and releasing the clutch, when does it actually get grip?
- does your bike crawl forward when the clutch is disengaged?

Mustang
02-25-2008, 07:00 PM
- total. I assume on the same oil as well (just bought the bike with 1300 miles on it last week).
- No idea. Will be Mobil 1 15W50 as of tonight.
- I loosened the nuts on either side of the "tube" that connects the shifter to the primary case, spun the "tube" (sorry, can't think of the correct name right now) counterclockwise I believe to lower the shifter, then snugged the nuts back against the tube.
- Don't recall...can fill you in on that tonight. About halfway, IIRC.
- Nope, it sits perfectly still.

Mustang
02-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Bike doesn't crawl when the clutch is let out in N.
The clutch starts to grab when the clutch lever is about 1" from the grip (the closest part of the clutch lever, that is)

LeFox
02-26-2008, 09:14 AM
Bike doesn't crawl when the clutch is let out in N.
i ment when pulling the handle in and in 1st gear.

- No idea. Will be Mobil 1 15W50 as of tonight.
i would use transmission oil...
also for your engine, it is better to get oil that is specificly made for twin sport engines, and not just any kind of engine oil.

total. I assume on the same oil as well (just bought the bike with 1300 miles on it last week).
change the oil asap...1 of the 1st things to do when buying a used motorcycle.

Sawyer
02-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I had a similar problem recently on my xb9sx. It turned out to be a crack in the primary casing due to wear from the clutch. the new primary casing also looked a little thin were the spring rubs against it, but thats how they come.

by the way my bike has done around 10000miles