PDA

View Full Version : Symptoms of overheating?

joseb552
08-11-2010, 07:28 AM
Hi guys and gals, sorry for the long post!

I decided to take the CR to work today for the first time, everything was going smoothly until about mile 23/27 when traffic started to back up. I noticed that the temperature (AT on the display) quickly rose to 136, I sat in this traffic for about 5 minutes, staying in first and neutral as we only advanced maybe 40 feet at a time.

At around the 6 minute of traffic mark, the bike died on me, I made my way over to the very small gutter and attempted to fire her back up but she wouldn't turn over. I turned the bike off and sat for about 2 minutes before trying again. This time it fired up and seemed normal.

I made my way down the road and then about 2 minutes later, the engine light came on, but it still was running normal. At the next light (now no more than 1/2 mile from work) she got really weird, the temp was still hovering around 120-126 and whenever I would accelerate past 2,500 RPMs, the whole bike would stutter and sound like it was about to die. I managed to hit the side streets and made it to work very slowly, as I was pulling into my spot I noticed the fuel light was on and the display said Fuel 1.3, also the engine light was still on and the temp was still around 129.

I bought the bike last Friday and it has 5,4XX miles on it, I've only put about 100 miles on it myself so far.

Are these symptoms of overheating due to sitting in traffic on a hot day, or possibly fuel starvation? I read that the bike has .8 gallons of reserve fuel, so I assume 1.3 miles ridden on reserve would not start starving the engine. Any other ideas? I do have a 1-year extended warranty on the bike through McHenry HD so I'm planning on calling them up as soon as they open today.

Thanks for the help! Sorry again for the long post!

joseb552
08-11-2010, 07:38 AM
Here's a quick video that kind of shows what I am talking about, I am applying even pressure on the throttle:

1125CR Video (http://www.flickr.com/photos/joseb552/4881810447/)

Red93stang
08-11-2010, 09:18 AM
I cant pull up the vid here at work but, those air temps are normal for setting in traffic. I am going to guess that the fuel was starting to boil due to high temps and low on fuel. What codes did u get?

joseb552
08-11-2010, 09:30 AM
The code was P0087, "Fuel PR Sys ERR"

I also called the dealer, they didn't have any immediate explanations (I wouldn't expect them to without seeing the bike).

I did fire it up and take it out for a few minutes to fill up with gas, no problems at all on the short trip, no CEL either.

Should I have the dealer come pick it up anyway, or do you think it will be OK to ride home later? Unfortunately the dealer will be closed by the time I leave work tonight so if it did act up again I'd be SOL.

03Firebolt9R
08-11-2010, 09:31 AM
So you are NOT revving it up during the video? Is it revving/surging on its own?

joseb552
08-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Correct, I moved the throttle to *about* where 3,500 RPMs should be and held it there, it was doing the surging on its own.

03Firebolt9R
08-11-2010, 09:38 AM
I have read where a few others have had similar problems on here but I havent seen where they replied what the problem was exactly.

But it sounds to me like a weak fuel pump. I would get it in to get replaced.

Red93stang
08-11-2010, 09:41 AM
The P0087 was probably set when you tried to restart it and it saw no fuel pressure do to the low fuel and maybe setting on the side stand. If you filled it with fuel and no cel afterwards I wouldnt worry about it. The code will clear after 80 starts. I wouldnt bother taking it in, they are going to find nothing and waste ur time.

Have you had all the updates done to the ECM? Have done a TPS reset? They are worth the time spent at the dealer.

03Firebolt9R
08-11-2010, 09:48 AM
I agree that may be when the code was tripped, but the constant surging in the video is just wrong.

Red is prolly right that they wil not find anything and waste your time if it is not currently doing it.

I guess if it duplicates try to get to the stealership so they can witness it.

joseb552
08-30-2010, 08:11 AM
I posted this yesterday on BadWeb, but it's stuck in the archive so I'm not sure if anyone is checking there, I'll post here as well:

Ok here's a follow up on this issue...

I have been riding the bike almost every day for the past month. I am careful to keep it to around 85-100 miles and then I fill her up, sometimes much sooner. It's been hot most days but she has been ok for the most part.

I did check the coolant and the reserve tank was bone dry (checked after 10 hours of engine being shut down), so I filled that to the COLD FILL line.

Yesterday I took a ride up to Lake Geneva with my brother, no problems on the way there, but after riding around town at 25-30mph for about 10 minutes, she had had it, engine light came on and started revving erratically again. So we pulled onto a side street and let it sit for about 30-45 minutes in the shade. Coolant temp did not exceed 195° from what I could tell. After that it ran like normal and I made it home without further incident. Btw, it was the same error code as above.

Then today, I rode to work in the morning on a full tank, and as I'm headed home just now, I notice the whole bike is getting very hot, feels much hotter than before. I'm paying attention to the CT and it's climbing to 215-220°. It's very sunny out but I'm not in any kind of traffic, just occasionally getting stopped at a red light. Once again the engine light comes on and it starts revving erratically. I am now pulled over at a Walgreens letting it cool down again.

I'm pretty sure I'm taking it into the dealer this week, unless anyone can think of any other things I am not seeing?