PDA

View Full Version : rear axle

Phrogg
02-25-2008, 07:37 PM
Alright I am good to go for taking my rear axle out. Have the rear brake off, and the tensioner bolt out as well. I go to take the axle out and nothing. Using an impact wernch at roughly 100-140psi, and the damn thing doesn't even budge. Tried going both directions, cause it doesn't say which way to turn it in the manual. The front tire is reverse thread so we thought we would give it ago. Tried squirting some WD-40 on both sides to see if that would loosen it up. Now we didn't let it sit for very long maybe 5 minutes and called it quits after that cause we had to get going. Like I said i've done everything the manual has said, up to getting the rear tire off. Any advice would be great.

BuellPartsGuy
02-25-2008, 07:57 PM
So you loosened the pinch bolts that hold the axle in place?

Scary thought, you using an impact on that.... Ewww

Phrogg
02-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Ya, we loosend the pinch bolts. There is only one right? The one rigt next to the axle pointing up? The HD shot here uses the impact wrench on that as well. So I didn't think it would be a problem. That and I thought it would pop right out with minimal force....I was wrong....:(

Any other ideas?

BuellPartsGuy
02-25-2008, 09:15 PM
I wouldnt ever use air tools of any sort on things that both parts are aluminum.

Yeah it is just the one bolt going in from the bottom on the right side.

Phrogg
02-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Cool, any other suggestions then? It isn't reverse threaded like the front is it?

BuellPartsGuy
02-25-2008, 09:32 PM
No, its not reverse threads.

texashick
02-25-2008, 10:25 PM
I had the same problem on my 9R...I took it to 3 different motorcycle shops everyone put a impact on it and stripped most of the axle out (By the way now I have to find a new rear axle)...But I took it to one of my dads harley friends who told me to go get a pipe...I grabbed a 3 foot pipe stuck it over the wrench and he pushed the pipe and it just moved..He said moron service departments dont antiseize the axle before they put them back on and it is a hell of a time.. So go get a cheater pipe and just apply steady pressure dont bounch on it just keep putting pressure on it and eventually it will break loose..

Phrogg
02-26-2008, 04:12 AM
Alright, I will try that next weekend before I use a bigger impact drill. I don't think the HD shop used anti seize on it. Cause I like I said this damn this isnt moving at all. Atleast I don't have to worry about stripping it.....

LeFox
02-26-2008, 09:43 AM
a good mechanic would tighten the axle with a torque-wrench...
as already mentioned in another post...not many buell technicians use airtools.

so, remove it using a pipe & wrench and check the axle. but i would recommend that, if you want to work on your buell, a torque-wrench is a must!

BuellPartsGuy
02-26-2008, 06:39 PM
It wouldn't be over tightened by very much, otherwise it would snap the belt. Its probably just seized in there. That axle is tapered and the more you tighten it, the tighter the belt tension is. Once you get it out, coat it in anti-seize and torque it properly.

Phrogg
02-26-2008, 06:54 PM
What do you recommend to unseize it? I tried WD-40, but I probably didn't wait long enough. Is there anything else you'd recommend?

BuellPartsGuy
02-27-2008, 02:43 AM
JB-80 or some other better penetrating lube. WD-40 is a horrible penetrating lubricant. Spray it on and let it set over night.