PDA

View Full Version : HELPP PLEASE!!!?? Squeaking rattle sound!

bigblast7
08-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Oh crap! can anyone help me out? So heres the deal, a few days ago I noticed a little rattling sound coming from the right side around the right driver footpeg or around the exhaust. Stupidly, I ignored it for a day or two. I've came across some posts before on this forum and others that say something about a box of rocks sound meaning that your primary is too loose. But I dont know how exactly to reach it. But I assumed this was the problem. Now! Its making a whole different sound. Like a squeak Squeak sound while I idle at lights. It's pretty darn loud too. It's only while I idle and sometimes when I'm cruising at low speeds (5-28mph). I'm not sure what the heck it is now or if it's still the same problem I thought it was from the beginning.

Oh, also. I do feel a loss of power top and low end about a 15% decrease overall

It's getting worse by the minute and every morning I have to ride 20 miles to school and back!

anyone's immediate advise is oh so greatly appreciated!

I'll even work in the dark tonight to fix this darn problem if I can[sad]

ridendude
08-17-2010, 05:27 PM
What do you ride?[confused]

bigblast7
08-17-2010, 05:31 PM
oh sorry! Blast 05 stock, except for V&H exhaust

ezblast
08-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Your primary is too tight! You must have adjusted it according to the incorrect manual setting - go about 12 more flats out.
EZ

bigblast7
08-17-2010, 06:54 PM
Assistance! =]

bigblast7
08-17-2010, 06:55 PM
I've never adjusted it to begin with. So now, should I?

ezblast
08-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Ahhh - Try loosening it the 12 flats first, if still sounds then I suspect busted chain guide adjuster shoe, its into the primary for you!
EZ

bigblast7
08-17-2010, 08:00 PM
WOOOOW, okay so first off. I'm a flippin retard. I unscrewed to the point of oil gushing.

But thanks to my tiger reflexes I quickly plugged the screw back after some mild oil drainage

Okay, so
I still have that stock ring around it and I tried to get it off with some pliers but had no such luck. Besides that, I think I tightened it to perfection. But who knows. Also the squeek/chirps are coming from the right side, just behind and below the airbox (where the belt meets with the engine) you said something about adjuster screw. Would that make A chirp sound? I'm going to have my friend who goes to MMI take a look at it tomorrow and tell your suggestions. Thanks man much appreciated

TooFst
08-18-2010, 08:47 AM
My xb12s just started squeeking from the same area. LOUD. Kinda comes and goes. How many miles on your bike? I don't know what mine is. I do know the primary is definetly not too tight. I thought I heard a little scraping noise along w/ the squeeks and I'm just hoping it's not the main bearing.

bigblast7
08-18-2010, 10:25 AM
about 9.8 -9.9K, exactly dude. mines the same way. I'm hopefully as well about to do an oil change asap. not sure if it well help anything relating to the problem but it's needed anyway.

IYAOYAS
08-18-2010, 10:34 AM
Screen your oil, that will tell you alot about the condition of your motor.

bigblast7
08-18-2010, 10:38 AM
hey, just searched around and heard from some people with pretty precisely the same chirp sound. that they took to a dealer and they said the idler pully was what was making the chirp sound!

rideboarder589
08-18-2010, 12:08 PM
mine's making the same chirping sound...i thought it was the primary chain also so i tightened that..it seemed to fix it for a little while but now its back again...maybe ill take a look at the idler pully tonight

bigblast7
08-18-2010, 08:41 PM
So tommorrow I'm taking it to the HD service dept. and ask them whatsup.

Besides that though, can you guys help me out with changing some thing out since I'm about to click 10K!!!! =) first off I want to change the oil. I've heard an seen some thing about mobil1 the guy at the HD dealer strictly said if you put that make sure you put specially for motorcycles not automobiles. But anyway, the only one I've found is mobil1 20/50. Would that be good? I live in FL so it's a wicked hot summer as of now and our winter starts in dec and it's about 45 the lowest. Also would I be able to use this with changing the tranny fluid too??? And how do I do that?? ONE LAST question :) I'm going to buy a spark plug too. What kind should I get and any advice on installing that?? THANKS MUCHO FELLAS

Art
08-19-2010, 06:50 AM
My tensioner pully makes the same chirp while walking the bike around never heard it riding though. Bearing seems to be a little loose but not sure if that normal. Squirted a little wd-40 on it no more squeek. Bigblast7 wouldn't be useing regular mobil-1 couldn't tell you why. Wally world has the stuff for Motorcycles at least up here they do. I use amsoil in both holes so can't tell you much on Mobil1 and I also just got the plugs from the factory. Good luck.

bigblast7
08-19-2010, 10:02 AM
thanks man. I'm gonna try that WD40 when I get home

IYAOYAS
08-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Be sure you get the V-twin Mobil one. The auto stuff will break down your stator.

bigblast7
08-19-2010, 10:43 AM
for both? the transmission as well as the engine?

Stevenc150
08-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Yep, both engine & tranny. Use 20W50 Mobil 1 V-twin Full Synthetic.

anrkizm95
08-19-2010, 08:29 PM
[up] on mobil 1

ezblast
08-20-2010, 10:44 AM
If its just a chirping sound from the front pulley area - then its ok - just torque and the belt interacting.
EZ

bigblast7
08-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Okay UPDATE & assistance needed!

first off THANKFULLY!! the chirping sound has been located!!!:D Thanks to a harley tech he basically made me look like a jackass but super solved my problem by placing his foot firmly against my exhaust and the noise stopped! Basically its the allen screw that is holding the exhaust to the bike that's loose and making betal rub metal ESPECIALLY while i throttle, (due to the vibration) NOW it's just a matter of getting to it. The allen key just turns and turns the bolt I SOMEHOW have to get BEHIND it and securely hold the bolt WHILE i turn the allen key but wooow what a relief I'm not breaking down:)

SECONDLY, heeeelp
I'm in a bind and very confused. I've just bought a couple things. NGK spark plug which wont be here till tomorrow but awesome! But ALSO some oil. Damn mobil1 V Twin 20/50 is $10/a bottle!!!![down] So I bought two thinking that I'll just buy another when I do the tranny tonight or tomorrow. HERES THE DEAL THOUGH. I'm running a little low on cash flow but I really want the best for my bike. I REALLY want mobil1 20/50 V TWIN for both engine and tranny but I don't think I can afford it.

CAN I USE Mobil 1 15/50 For Auto ONLY in my engine or is there any other cheaper alternative? They have valoline 20/50http://www.valvoline.com/products/consumer-products/motor-oil/motorcycle-atv-oil/13 but it's not full synthetic. its only $4 a qt??????

bigblast7
08-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Bump. Anyone??? Trying to buy some oil on the double

ezblast
08-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Yes - most Buell riders use the 15/50 car Mobil1.
EZ

Stevenc150
08-20-2010, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't say most... Most here that I know use Bike-specific Full synthetic.

bigblast7
08-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Well I've just put 1 3/4 qts of it in so I hope we're gravy gonna change the tranny tomorrow since I couldn't get the damn footpeg off today. Also gonna change the spark plug. Anyone know what our gap size is for the plug???