PDA

View Full Version : worried about spark plugs

bcbull4
03-03-2008, 03:21 PM
im getting ready for spring & one thing im doing is replacing the spark plugs... i got new 10R12A's.

the only thing is im worried about cross-threading the rear plug. the threads are steel & the engine is aluminum (softer). the front plug is easy to get to & turns in REAL easy... the back turns about 1 or 2 times, then gets WAY TOO HARD! i dont want to mess up the aluminum threads, but no matter how many times i try, it always threads the same way.

i dont know if its just hard b/c im using an elbow-type extension on my socket or if im crooked in the hole. has ANYONE had this feeling, or does the back plug turn in real easy for you??? thanx

BuellPartsGuy
03-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Are you coating them in anti-seize before re-installing?

They shouldnt turn very hard at all. Something isnt right...

dans03firebolt
03-03-2008, 04:20 PM
My back one gave me some problems at first and then I realized it was going in a little crooked and now it is perfect. Just fiddle with it a little bit and you will be fine.

I didn't put anti-seize on my new plugs when I changed them. But they are only Champion POS plugs so they will be changed to NGK's before I put it on the road.

LeFox
03-03-2008, 06:44 PM
1st do a half turn in the wrong direction...that should align the thread so you don't damage it. ;)

mrdozer2you
03-03-2008, 07:50 PM
1st do a half turn in the wrong direction...that should align the thread so you don't damage it.

Sure when you can see what you're doing :p Hard to do by feel when you have a crapload of swivel sockets trying to find the hole.

If anyone has a trick to getting to the plugs please please let me know. This may sound stupid but it's the one and only reason I would get rid of this bike. Also pics would be helpful if somebody would be so kind as to explain and then show ( with pics) how to get at the plugs the right way[up] As i basically feel like a dumb ass when I'm trying to get to them.

stevensue
03-03-2008, 08:56 PM
A piece of rubber hose works :D

dans03firebolt
03-04-2008, 12:58 PM
You just need to reach up behind the frame to put the back plug in. It really is easy. If you have problems there the dealer said they usually just drop the motor a little bit when they are doing the service to change them.

bcbull4
03-10-2008, 02:09 PM
well i wouldn't say it was 'easy' like dan^^, but i got it & i was cross-threading it cuz once i got it straight it went smooth. the rubber hose works awesome.... thanx stevensue!:)
and now that i got new plugs my bike actually starts without flooding half the time! getty up.

Wiccidbikerchic
04-14-2008, 05:08 PM
If I could pose a couple of questions here, I'm changing the plugs on my 2005 XB12S and also on a friends 2003 XB9R...

You say the front plug was easy, did you get to it from under the airbox?

Also I was thinking of changing the plug wires on the 2003 while I was there... will I need to rotate the engine down to accomplish that??

Thanks =)

Wiccidbikerchic
04-17-2008, 03:10 PM
I figured it out, it was much much easier than I thought it would be!