PDA

View Full Version : Buell Blast

cowgirl
08-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Hey guys;
Looking at a 2004 Buell Blast for a first time bike. Just wondering if there were any major issues with this model or anything I should look out for.
Thanks for any advice!

xtremelow
08-28-2010, 04:52 PM
The blast is a stripped down basic Buell I don't recall any real issues with them.

Most owners only have them for a season or two so there isn't enough time to actually have any big problems.

I say go for it but don't be surprised when you want a different bike Ina month or two of riding.

anrkizm95
08-28-2010, 04:57 PM
whats your age and have you done any rideing before,atv,dirt.the blast is a good starter bike but extreme is right youll out grow it in a few months.

beefy99
08-28-2010, 09:11 PM
You will find around here no one likes the blast it is a "learners" bike and not powerful enough to make you feel like a man... That being said the blast had a few years where the engine mount will literally rattle itself loose dropping the motor to the pavement in front of the bike, never a good thing. The other issue with the bike is the rubber boot on the intake, it tends to dry rot and crack leaving you with a vacum leak not a hard repair or expensive either just a pain, I would suggest buying an extra one if you get the bike. Other than that it's a dependable little bike, wish I fit on it better.

ezblast
08-28-2010, 10:20 PM
You all are toasty - lol - all those problems are commonly found on pre 2003 Blasts, however, the majority of later year Blasts - with the exception of riders edge bikes - are found to be quite dependable and rarely have any problems besides das boot - lol
EZ

upthemaiden
08-29-2010, 05:57 AM
not powerful enough to make you feel like a man...

Very often something girls are concerned with..... :D

cowgirl
08-29-2010, 06:11 AM
I was thrilled to see the feed back I got from you guys, joining this forum was definetly a good idea. I realize that the Blast is a "baby bike" compared to what you all ride but, I figure the 500 is a good place to start for a "baby" like myself LOL
Thanks again, hope you have a great day!

batman6669
08-29-2010, 06:27 AM
I got my wife a 2008 ninja 250 as a learner bike she has dirtbike experance and this is her second street bike her first was a 04 xl 1200 HD witch was too heavy for her. She loves the ninja but it is getting too small(slow) for her so we are looking for a xb9 now.

deh2k2
08-29-2010, 09:00 AM
See if the owner will let you take it to a private mechanic. There is a place in here in Houston I use to check out my bikes. I am sure there is a place near you that will do the same. It is worth the piece of mind to make sure your bike is 100% road worthy. And you will have an idea of what it will take to get it road worthy and you can negotiate the cost of any issues into you buying price.

buellbee
08-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Very often something girls are concerned with.....

Hey now, some girls enjoy excess in many forms. Power could be one of them.

Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

RT Performance
08-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Well I bought my gf a blast we have ridden 2 k in the past week.
She can keep up in the mountains with much larger bikes.
We are looking at bigger bikes mainly because it is hard to pass with in the small distances.
Good lick and enjoy

BuellRider3158
08-29-2010, 10:52 AM
I rode a 2002 buell blast learners edge bike for my first bike and loved it. I never had any of the problem you guy's describe and it was a fantastic first bike. Honestly it was much more reliable then my 2005 xb12scg. It never left me stranded on the side of the road like the lightning did. It's just an all around fantastic learners bike.

beefy99
08-29-2010, 12:17 PM
Sorry Maiden, I wasn't talking about cowgirl, but Xtreme and the like, and their hatred of blasts. These are good bikes(read can take a serious beating). Everyone is entitled to an oppinion, but when someone asks about facts give them facts.

At Cowgirl, if you do decide to get one of these "baby" bikes, understand they are very small(my wife at 5'1" can flat foot it), I personally put 7k on my wife's(great milage) but I am 6' and 210lbs, that thing is a torture device on long rides.

upthemaiden
08-29-2010, 12:49 PM
If you're new don't let the comments about lack of power worry you. the first new bike I bought was a ninja250 and I put 14k miles on it before a deer killed it. Yes I wanted more power but I didnt need it. light/small bikes have their own benefits and less power is a big one for new riders. Power drastically changes a bikes handling in turns and how to handle a bike mid lean when you hit a bump and accidentally goose the throttle isn't something you want to deal with while you're still learning to ride. Yes you may want to sell it in 2 month but if you do you'll probably be a better rider for it. You'll also do yourself a favor by not riding with guys on bigger bikes that you 'need' to keep up with. be patient and ride with other people who are willing to go your speed and you wont feel like you've outgrown the power the first week youve had it, plus it's a much safer way to learn.

ezblast
08-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Plus it is a lot of fun!
EZ

deh2k2
08-30-2010, 07:00 AM
Upthemaiden,

You are so right. I try to explain to people that an "underpowered bike" is still faster than most "fast cars", there is plenty of power to learn with.

I rode motocross for a decade before I moved out onto the streets, and while my dirt bikes had torque, they did not have the power of the street bikes. And while all of the dirt bike techniques did not translate into street riding, dirt bikes gave me more time to learn to control the bike, then when I moved to the streets, I had bike control down, then it was time to learn to use the power of the street bike.

Someone who can drift a race bike thru a corner, could use a bike with more power, but I bet they would focus on improving technique and handling rather than power.

Cowgirl, enjoy your bike, become a better rider. The world is full of people who thought they needed more power from their bike after a few months of riding, and thanks to them, there is a never ending supply of motorcycle parts on eBay...

Stevenc150
08-30-2010, 07:18 AM
As always it depends on the person, but IMO the Blast is a great starter bike. Some might outgrow it, but I've seen others intimidated when they got to powerful of a bike and gave up learning to ride altogether. Good luck with the bike. :D[up]

cowgirl
08-30-2010, 08:30 AM
The first thing I noticed when I started looking at bikes was that there are alot of Ninjas and Kaws out there.......and then I saw a Buell and it took my breath away LOL. I still can't believe that the line is discontinued !!!

EvilMike79
08-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Ive had my 01 blast since March and I love it, but I just like to cruise around and don't care about extra unused power. The gas mileage is excellent and they are easy to work on.

cowgirl
09-09-2010, 05:05 PM
Update:
The owner of the Blast was going to send me better pics of the bike.......so I waited. This guy had all the excuses in the world, I finally gave up on him :(

Buells are rare in Northern Ontario/ Canada and my options were limited. I crossed over to the "dark side" and bought a Ninja 500.

I still read up on the Buell forum, the info you guys share is awesome and I'm just in love witht the looks of these bikes......damn

BuellRiderX
09-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Just as long as you're on two wheels :D

ENJOY!!

anrkizm95
09-11-2010, 03:35 PM
congrats,thats a good starter bike,enjoy and ride safe[up]