PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Bad!

Achtenberg
09-01-2010, 08:49 PM
I bought a 2002 Buell X1 Lightning used from someone on craigslist. Unfortunately i really do not know much about bikes mechanically and have had one break down after another about a month from the purchase.

What I know it needs:

ECU needs to be tuned or replaced with the stock part (i would prefer it to be tuned)

I need the bored out exhaust replaced

What is currently wrong:

Just about every time i slow down and come to stop thick white smoke with a very slight faint bluish tint pours from the exhaust. It burns oil and i have to put it in before i take it out every time to keep it in the clear. Oil is leaking from the heads. Possible blown head/head gasket?

It is my only vehicle and i am no longer driving it to keep it from getting worse, if you could please tell me what you think my problem may be and how to fix it i would be much appreciative. Also i am in need of cheap parts being a college student I do not make much. I will trade my pipe (and some cash if needed) which is a bored out D&D racing pipe for one that is not bored out, i work nights so what like it quieter not to mention it runs more efficiently. I would prefer something like a Vance & Hines or another D&D.

Cronce1125R
09-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Oil is leaking from the heads. Possible blown head/head gasket?
when i think of head gasket the first thing that comes to mind is liquid in the heads, i hope it all works out for you bud, if you're still in contact with the guy you bought it from maybe give him a call or take it to a local shop. i'm not 100% with the older bikes (x1, cyclone, ect...), but im sure someone will be able to help you soon. gook luck and best wishes.

Achtenberg
09-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I could contact him but i doubt it would help considering he caused most of the issues lol. He had no clue what he was doing to the bike and even though there were some things i knew about at the time of purchase he did not of course tell me everything he had done to it, such as using incorrect hosing for the fuel line so i had it blow out on me while i was driving down HWY 45.

Cronce1125R
09-01-2010, 11:30 PM
wow what a jerk, i don't think i could have the heart to sell someone ANYTHING that they don't know what it's been through, ya know.

LeFox
09-01-2010, 11:49 PM
i would keep a lookout on converting to a carb, so you'll have no more issues with ecm or any settings...
lot of the tubers do it and have no issues at all.

what exhaust do you have?

from what you are telling, i would find someone who can work on the engine and have it taken appart and reassemble it correctly with all new gaskets everywhere. otherwise you'll have 1 issue after the other.

good luck!

pur pony
09-02-2010, 05:20 AM
this is a great website but you may get better tuber info on badweb.

What exactly do you mean when you say a bored out exhaust?????????????????????

As for the ECM- your best bet would be ebay for a replacement or spare. You could get a factory or a race one and with an aftermarket exhaust, the race one would be the way to go. Or you could get/make an ECMSPY cable and remap your stock computer with a race map.

Where exactly is the head(s) leaking oil? Are the engine fins wet about 4 fins down? Can you see where the jug and head are seperated and is that where the oil is coming from? If so, then you do have a blown head gasket. When replacing the head gasket you can SHOULD remove the jug and replace the base gasket. If not that will start to leak overtake once the new head gasket is in place. However, if it seems to be leaking above the fins, its most likely the rocker boxes (valve covers). They are known to leak and have updated gaskets. The rocker boxes are a 3 piece design so there are 3 gaskets needed for the each with a very small rectangular gasket in the center.

good luck-

buellet proof
09-02-2010, 06:24 AM
I bought a 02 X1 off my buddy and before I did he blew some seals and they told him he was not letting it warm up enough before he rode it, just something to keep in mind when you fix it. Mine is all stock no aftermarket.
I hope you got it for a good price. good luck

Achtenberg
09-02-2010, 10:18 AM
What exactly do you mean when you say a bored out exhaust?????????????????????

He took a drill and hollowed out the baffles inside the exhaust.

Are the engine fins wet about 4 fins down? Can you see where the jug and head are seperated and is that where the oil is coming from? If so, then you do have a blown head gasket.

That is what it looks like.

So if i fix that will it not only stop the leak but the smoke as well?

Achtenberg
09-02-2010, 10:22 AM
what exhaust do you have?

A D&D race

IYAOYAS
09-02-2010, 10:31 AM
If you are getting oil in your exhaust you need to consider the rings as well as the head gasket. How well does the engine spin when you hit the starter? Does it work a bit or does it crank easily? I know this can hurt, but if you spend about 550 you can replace the pistons and rings, have the jugs bored to fit the pistons, and replace those old gaskets.

Hammel13
09-02-2010, 10:34 AM
The smoke sounds like you might have a leaking valve seal as well

Achtenberg
09-02-2010, 11:45 AM
Well i just checked and for $80 i can replace every gasket on there so i will do that and look for any other issues i might find while doing so.

Achtenberg
09-06-2010, 10:52 PM
has anyone ever seen or heard of oil in the air intake?

LeFox
09-06-2010, 11:26 PM
how much do you mean? if you're burning oil fumes will get into the intake and you'll find that oilish residu inside the covers.

could also be that the reroute has not been done yet. ;)

aptbldr
09-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Is smoke coming from inside exhaust, or is it burning-off outside of exhaust pipe/muffler?
Breathers, tube, one each from cylinder head to intake manifold. Tuber's setup can pull oil into intake more readily than XB style breather setup. (I once read a little bit on internet about Tubers.)
Keep it toppped-up with clean oil, ride it gently.
Watch for spark-plug fouling due to oil-burn. Best wishes :)

upthemaiden
09-07-2010, 05:15 AM
I don't know much about how the tubers are setup, but if you're getting that much smoke out of the exhaust it means that you're getting oil into the top end somewhere. If you already know your head gasket is leaking, it could be getting in through the valve like Hammel said. If you have oil somehow getting in through the intake it could just be sucked in that way and not actually be a leak in the top end. The other option is that the valve rings are shot and it's just going straight in that way.

Be careful riding it that way. My last bike was a triumph that started leaking oil into a breather hose from a bad gasket and I just kept topping off the oil every day(college student with bike as my only transportation at the time) and I eventually destroyed the entire inside of the motor. Thank god for the warranty because the paperwork I got back afterwards said the total came to about $3k after parts and labor. Mine was leaking oil really fast though, and I didn't really slow down my riding either so I don't think I helped the situation.

Achtenberg
09-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Ok thanks a lot guys. Oil is burning off from inside the muffler. I guess i will just take it to the shop again i think its a bit above me doin it myself lol.

ztied
09-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Depending how bad the head gaskets are(assuming that is the problem)Spray some carb cleaner around the cylinder where the head gaskets are.usually the bike will rev down when it sucks the carb cleaner in.
The rings are probably worn also.The best thing to do
would be the have the cylinders bored,and replace the piston and rings,never reuse gaskets.It is more expensive to go this route,but it should fix all of your problems the first time.
If you just do the head gaskets or the rings,and it still smokes,then you have to tear it down and do it the way I suggested,and cost 2 times as much.