PDA

View Full Version : running on one cylinder

buellseye
02-09-2007, 03:08 AM
tried to start it in the cold . after warming it up felt like it was running on one cylinder. any ideas? i want to change the plugs but cant get to them with my limited knowledge of the inner workings of the bike. help!!

buellxb
02-09-2007, 03:11 AM
How long has your Buell been sitting before you started it last? Was your tank full? You could have condensation in the tank. Buells don't run well on water.

BuellPartsGuy
02-09-2007, 04:40 AM
check the plugs. If you do replace them, DO NOT use anything but stock buell plugs. Not platinum or any of that ****. Check the cap on the terminal of the plug itself, it could be loose.

buellxb is right about the gas stuf too. Make sure you have some good high octane gas in there.

bahamasair
02-09-2007, 09:00 PM
Im glad I read this. I was about to order some of the platinum **** for mine this weekend. Ill take a look for the stock plugs instead.

BuellPartsGuy
02-09-2007, 10:54 PM
Every I have seen go out with plugs other than the stock ones comes back with problems. I wouldnt recommend it at all

affekonig
04-10-2007, 02:25 AM
How do you get to these plugs? I just bought an 03 xb9s and the rear cyl isn't firing. I looked at it quickly and didn't see an easy/obvious way to get to the plugs. Thanks.

BuellPartsGuy
04-10-2007, 03:13 AM
just a long extension and a swivel should do the job. You need to pull the entire airbox assmebly to get to them but its not that bad. All else fails, pick up a service manual to help you out. They are just nice to have around anyway.

Rifterzs
05-22-2007, 10:35 PM
anyone live near DC? I am having issues with my '03 XB9R. It's pinged since I bought it, but since unwinterizing (been through 3 tanks of gas) it's just not running really well. It seems significantly slower, and I'm starting to worry about the engine. I'm using mobile 1 and will be replacing it with royal purple, but any other suggestions? I don't want to replace the plugs (only 6k miles) but probably should I think, I only run it on 93 octane. it still moves, but there is no way I could pop it up i think, just isn't there. Maybe I'm just imagining things, I might head over to a dealership and test one of their bikes to compare it and see if it's all in my head.

jaredxb12
05-23-2007, 04:12 AM
anyone else use the buell pro series plugs? i swiched 2 them last go around and really like them, seems to have a easier start and smoother idle. also to rifterzs.....i know this is kinda far feched, but a couple years ago i stored one of my bikes for a couple months and when i put it back on the road i had the same power problem,i remimbered hitting a small pot hole b4 storing it, so i put it on a rear stand and belive it or not the rear wheel was hard to spin, took it off and i had blew the bearings out hitting the pot hole,it just felt like a power prob with the engine.like i said , far feched and sounds stupid, but if u get power 2 the rear and the rear dont put it to the ground??so just 2 b safe , spin the rear and make sure its smooth. ride safe

dangerranger23
06-04-2007, 04:42 AM
my buell is running on one clyinder its a 2001 x1 but it runs good when its cold then it throughs a fuel code but it floods out the front cylinder i put new injectors in and coil race ecm then switched back to stock trying to figure out the problem and cant any idea?? senor maybe even though it isnt throughing a sensor code?

c818919
05-24-2011, 12:50 AM
since you were talking spark plugs what about iridium ix DCPR8EIX?

bttrfngrz
05-24-2011, 01:25 AM
i have those plugs, they foul out super easy.

jbishop
06-06-2011, 10:22 AM
I am also having this issue.

Here is what I have done:

So I bought an xb9 knowing it had some issues and I have been figuring them out slowly but have hit a wall and was hoping someone might know my issue.

The bike originally had a TPS short to ground.

So I chased all the wires and they all looked good, replaced the TPS and the code went away. I then did a TPS reset and tried to start the bike with no luck. Then after some twisting of the throttle I got the bike to fire but it would only run around 2200 rpm. Any lower it would backfire and higher it would backfire.

Then through some troubleshooting (Touching the exhaust) I found that only the rear cylinder was firing. So I took out the front plug and checked it and it was fouled. I replaced the plug and no change. So Then I swapped the wire from the rear plug to the front and there was no change. So then I pulled the rear plug and cranked the bike and found that the front was firing but nothing like the rear.

If I timed twisting the throttle right I could get the bike to run on front cylinder only. So then I hooked both wires back up and tried the twisting the throttle in rhythm to the bike and got it to run front and back but it ran like crap and the front was not consistently firing.

This is where I am now.

Could it be the coil (same coil for both front and rear)?

Please help!

TIA,

J

jbishop
06-07-2011, 06:08 AM
Anyone? Thanks,

J

uly luigi
06-07-2011, 07:38 AM
Just a shot in the dark, but have you checked for a leak in the intake?I have seen a lot of problems come from leaking intakes

jbishop
06-07-2011, 07:52 AM
I have not. I will look up how to test.

jbishop
06-07-2011, 08:32 AM
So if I understand correctly I get the bike running and spray brake cleaner at the intake?

Nikolai
08-07-2011, 08:54 PM
That'll work. The factory manual suggests using propane and a crushed piece of tubing.

BRatigan
08-08-2011, 03:05 AM
Iridiums work just fine, stock plugs fouled on me. There is also a trick with the 08 Buells and up that lets you clear fouled plugs. I'll look around to see if I can find the proceedure.

BR

Shane
12-17-2011, 03:37 PM
i had same problem and replaced spark plug wires. fixed me right up

BRatigan
12-18-2011, 06:34 AM
Probably should remove the plugs and wires, do a continuity test on the wires, clean and check the plugs and regap if necessary. Assemble the plugs with wires attached but don't seat the plugs, let them dangle over the side of the frame and make sure the side of the threads touches ground. Crank the bike over and see if their is any spark. If it sparks brightly then the plugs our probably fine. You can also turn off the lights after you have the plugs back in the jugs and wires attached and crank it over till it starts, using a fine mist of water sprayed at the plug wires look for any side sparking going to the frame, if you see that then the wires are bad.
I'm sure their are other things you can do, but this is what comes to mind at the moment

BR