PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion on top 5 mods every buell needs

Loki
09-07-2010, 08:17 PM
What would you say are the top 5 mods, upgrades every buell owner should do to their bike to make it preform even better?
ex. K&N Air filter

stang65pony
09-07-2010, 08:44 PM
breather re-route
exhaust
tune or ecm
air filter
rss

just my .02

crxtasy169
09-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Breather re-route
shorty levers
air filter
exhaust
tune or ecm

50dro
09-07-2010, 08:52 PM
^^^What he said!!:D

Cosmetic mods (in case you wanted to know my opinion there?):

Tail Chop
Bar end mirrors
Seat
Gauge face
Integrated signals

dave_xb12r
09-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Order of importance

1 Breather reroute
2 RSS
3 Better grips
4 HIDs
5 Adjustable levers

These upgrades made the most difference with my bike.

I dont think a pipe, ecm upgrade and K&N is a must. If I was to put it on the list, it would be all together number 6, and should not be separated.

xtremelow
09-07-2010, 09:13 PM
1.Susp. adjustment
2.Reroute
3.TPS reset
4.Grips
5.Levers

Then if you have a 9 a must is the Race KIT, or equal to. My 2ยข

Loki
09-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Now my exhaust is upgraded from stock and is the race one but how can i find out if its been rerouted and breather reroute?
Also, whats RSS? OR TPS?
Where can i find the best grips and levers?

dave_xb12r
09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
RSS = Right side scoop
TPS = Throttle position reset which is only needed for ECM changes.

If you can find comfort grips, they are amazing. CRGs, ASVs and Pazzo's are great, chinese GSXR levers are good too, but they require modification.

BikerTrash
09-07-2010, 09:35 PM
1. Breather reroute
2. RSS
3. HID (low beam, and both headlight on mod with this one)
4. LED tail
5. Tail chop

dave_xb12r
09-07-2010, 09:40 PM
1.Susp. adjustment

I think suspension tuning is like setting the right tire pressure or putting gas in it or checking your oil. Not really a mod as much as it's a requirement.

In your airbox you will find 2 hoses running into it from the bottom if the reroute hasn't been done.

Loki
09-07-2010, 09:53 PM
OK, how big of a RSS do i need?
how much better does it make the buell?
Where can i find some of these grips?
ABS.com has a K&N air filter for 60$ is that reasonable?

And one more thing, i only have one hose going into my box and since the second hose wasnt connected i took out the little box to save some weight.

stang65pony
09-07-2010, 10:07 PM
i picked up a k & n new from ebay for 52 bucks shipped. 60 is reasonable to me.

i too would like to know where to pick up a better set of grips as i have some sort of nerve damage and need all the help i can get.

i am in the market for a rss

dave_xb12r
09-07-2010, 10:12 PM
ASB also sells the 2010 Uly RSS for like $60. I'm not sure what other grips to get.

Also, you can do a K&N alone. But keep in mind that if you plan on doing a K&N and a pipe, you also have to tune your ECM.

deh2k2
09-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Can anyone suggest a larger grip... I have big hands and those little stock grips just don't cut it for me... And I do not want the big foam grips.... Thanks...

xtremelow
09-07-2010, 10:24 PM
trojan horse scoops is what i have think the set was like $160

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/520_20090704142635_L.jpg

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/520_20090625182412_L.jpg

Miami78
09-07-2010, 10:39 PM
RSS, exhaust, led taillight w/integrated signals, HID's, and bar end mirrors.

upthemaiden
09-08-2010, 04:58 AM
Performance wise, pretty much what everyone else said, in no particular order...

exhaust
filter
new map
breather
right side scoop

Those will probably be it as far as performance mods for my bike.

I didn't notice a ton of difference on my xb9 with the breather re-route, but I've heard it does more for the 12s. I did notice my low end being a lot smoother with just the filter before I got my exhaust, so even if you don't want to do a whole exhaust and remap, just putting in a new filter(and cutting some holes in the airbox if you have an older one) will help. I did that white wire mod too, but can't say I really noticed a difference on that either.

One of the best performance mods I did was the shorty chinese levers off of ebay, but I didn't add it to the list because I'm not sure if other people have the same problem that I did. With my stock brake lever my brake was extremely jerky in stop and go traffic when I would only be using 1 finger and only going a few mph. I could only slow down lightly before the lever felt like it caught something and would just jerk the bike to a stop so I would have to use a couple fingers. When I switched to the shorty levers this problem went away completely and made a huge huge difference. If other people have noticed their front brake being jerky like that, I'd recommend a lever upgrade before just about everything above.

Other mods that have made me really like my bike more, but not because of performance...

Transparent plastics
tail chop/cleaned up back end
short levers
better looking bars
low seat(came with my bike, but added to the list because if I had bought a 9sx with the tall seat, I would've traded for the low or skyline seat right away)

Oh, and just a side note for anyone who's debating whether or not they really want a new exhaust like I was... After I put in the new air filter and cut some holes in my inner air box, I took off the outside cover and rode about 25 miles to pick up my new airbox cover while I still had the stock exhaust on, and it sounded pretty awesome. It didn't have that muffled raspy sound that the normal airbox does. I wasn't so much conscerned with having a loud exhaust on my bike, I just hated the noise coming out of the airbox and wanted a better sounding exhaust to cover it up. I bet even with the stock exhaust you could just do an airbox delete, which I assume sounds the same as my ride without the outside cover, and the bike will automatically sound a lot better without having to buy a new exhaust. Had I tried it earlier I might've skipped out on the exhaust all together, but I had already ordered it by the time I tried it. I don't know what it sounds like from far away, but when you're sitting on the bike it made the intake sound pretty much just like a new exhaust would.

dallasb
09-08-2010, 06:42 AM
These aren't in any particular order:

1. Breather Reroute
2. More comfortable seat
3. LED tail light
4. Custom maps
5. RSS

BikerTrash
09-08-2010, 07:22 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about the seat! The Select Seat is one of my must have mods, too.

Loki
09-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Is this scope big enough to make a difference?
http://www.americansportbike.com/shoponline/ccp0-prodshow/A17360.html

dave_xb12r
09-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Yes, that is the scoop that I have as well as hundreds of others on this forum. It's worth every penny.

xxspudxx
09-08-2010, 10:16 AM
1: Breather Re-Route
2: Header Wrap
3: HIDs
4: Exhaust
5: Track Day

Baal
09-08-2010, 10:41 AM
1: Breather Re-route
2: RSS

Those two are must do's.

Everything else is personal preference, IMO.

lokatwhaticando
09-08-2010, 03:25 PM
1: Exhaust
2: K&N air filter
3: Remap or Racing ECM
4: Breather Re-route
5: RSS

Thats what I would do and I did but not in order.:D

delta one
09-08-2010, 04:10 PM
most important is dial in your suspension, suspension is hypercritical on a buell, it is a great chassis but the set up can be unforgiving.
get it right and the bike will reward you with corner carving pleasure for many many miles.

good rubber YOU can trust, it doesn't matter what you buddy likes because he is on his bike and you are on yours if you trust in a tire and like it stick with it. the best handling bike in the world is useless if you don't have the confidence to fling it into a corner

next is getting comfortable weather that is the seat, grips levers, larger windscreen, higher or lower pegs heat shields etc
if you cant focus on the ride or cant move like you should you are putting yourself and your machine at risk, if you are too cramped up to hang off the bike when it is time you wont be having any fun and that's what owning a sport bike is all about

after that is getting the buell running the best it can
RSS breather reroute are the biggest bang for the buck mods you can do, very close in line is ECM spy. this will let you tune your buell yourself.

better airflow in and/or out would be my next recommendation filter and exhaust.

now added because it is also important, not everybody agrees on it (and its my soap box so you can skip it if you like)
Gear; get it, wear it, love it
the best you can afford, if you wreck insurance will buy you new gear so don't worry about ruining it, that's what it is there for.

next is millage experience and familiarity with the bike, track days long trips wrenching it yourself, anything that makes you feel more connected to the bike, know where it is and what it is doing without looking. make commands without thinking, this will get you the most out of your bike

Jabaniz
09-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I like most of the mods on here.
I have been pleased with most of my mods
I'd say
1. SEAT
2. ZERO G TALL WINDSHIELD
3. GRIPS/LEVERS
4. MIRRORS
5. ALL LIGHTS
6. TIRES stock dunlops sucked

nilla
09-08-2010, 05:48 PM
has anyone mentioned axle sliders? or are they not considered a 'mod'

sliders
tidy-tail/chop
HID's
muffler + re-map (can't do one without the other. well you CAN, but ...)
clutch-lite

Loki
09-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Thanks everyone, and to you delta one.

Is the main important thing about a rss the cooling factor it gives?

delta one
09-08-2010, 08:15 PM
the cooling factor evens out the temp between the #1 and #2 cylinders some feel that it gives a more liner throttle feel, and less drop off in performance as the bike gets hot (air box heat shields do this very well too). but it also cuts down on the fan coming on saving you fan bearings (known to go out on some XB's) and it makes significantly less noise with the fan off so you can hear the beautiful V twin noise uninhibited. lastly it also acts as a bit of a shield keeping the heat from the headers from radiating on you as much.

lots of gains from a little scoop, I have been running without mine for only a few days and I miss it a lot already, cosmetically its better with the scoop too but that's a matter of opinion.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_HKanKlLcYkQ/TCDglTQn_TI/AAAAAAAAAos/RlHukunrdgA/s640/DSC_9846.JPG
vs
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_th7hbw2B1WM/TIVlwnNYTwI/AAAAAAAAAJY/3bSK0N0-7Dg/s640/DSC_4798.JPG

Superman217
09-11-2010, 08:51 AM
What help does the Breather reroute do? I have a 2009 XB12R is it really needed?

j4nn3
09-11-2010, 09:10 AM
Basically you reroute the cylinder head breather hoses "outside of the motor" instead of directly back to air intake as stock. For my bike the breather reroute did wonders; the bike runs much smoother since.

My take on the top 5 necessary mods (not in particular order):
- Breather reroute
- Right side scoop
- ECM tune
- Tail chop
- Air filter

(bubbling under: shorty levers & bar ends)

Superman; breather reroute is maybe not absolutely needed, but highly recommended. Some say it won't help at all, some (like me) would not change back once tried. It is so easy and cheap to do that you won't lose anything if you try it. You can always revert to stock if you don't like it.

delta one
09-11-2010, 09:31 AM
better low rpm power and help eliminate stumble as well as bettering your throttle res response

right now your breather pushes hot air and oil/water straight into your throttle body. the added heat will rob you of power the oil/water will take up some of the space that fuel/air would otherwise occupy

Loki
09-13-2010, 07:05 PM
Is there any written mods to tell us how to do the breather reroute?

Bossanova
09-13-2010, 07:20 PM
heres a good one (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/How-To-Crank-Case-Breather-Mod-with-pics)

spudwhy
09-22-2010, 01:56 AM
ive done..
exhaust
header wrap
breather re route.
:) this forum rocks

TIG22
04-08-2018, 07:18 PM
hey guys i bought s 2009 buell xb 12 lighting and want to know the latest top 5 mods are

sorta new to this ,gonna ask some noobie questions
1. what does the right hand scoop do?
2.whats the best ecm tune
3.going to go for jardine exhaust system , opinions?
4. where can i find a good tail chop
5.what is a rss
6.breather reroute , price ??? and where to find the kit>

Silverrider
04-08-2018, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=TIG22;600279]hey guys i bought s 2009 buell xb 12 lighting and want to know the latest top 5 mods are

sorta new to this ,gonna ask some noobie questions
1. what does the right hand scoop do? Kools the rear cylinder, AKA rss
2.whats the best ecm tune Tune needs to match your pipe
3.going to go for jardine exhaust system , opinions? good loud, not my fav
4. where can i find a good tail chop https://dieselmoto.com/products/xb-s-fender-eliminator
5.what is a rss right side scoop
6.breather reroute , price ??? and where to find the kit Tees, rubber hose, re- rout, your time.

sorry for being brief , going for a blast.

34nineteen
04-08-2018, 08:05 PM
sorry for being brief , going for a blast.

So, you’re the one that bought the trike!!! :black_eyed:

Silverrider
04-08-2018, 10:52 PM
So, you’re the one that bought the trike!!! :black_eyed:

Mesozoic
04-12-2018, 03:37 PM
I've got almost 40,000 miles on my XB12 and I do not have any oil issues in the airbox, therefore have never done the breather reroute. In any case, I'll throw in my top 5 based on my experience:

Exhaust upgrade - stock unit is too quiet, it's not about the power increase, but the sound.
Right side cooling scoop, particularly useful in warm climates.
Independent O2 sensors for front and rear cylinder with accompanying flash mods - make the bike get tremendously better fuel economy and much smoother riding long distances.
Rear wheel with 3 large bearings upgrade - not fun having the rear wheel seize up on you!
Cosmetic stuff: bar-end mirrors, integrated LED tail w/shave and LED headlamps among a few.