PDA

View Full Version : why you purchased a CR?

BuellDr
09-14-2010, 07:32 AM
i recently created the thread why you purchased your buell but now i am curious for my fellow cr owners why you bought a cr? why not an R? just curious.

Paniller
09-14-2010, 07:58 AM
I've been considering one myself. Why not an R?

1) More comfortable ergonomics
2) I like the front headlight a million times better
3) Much, much cheaper insurance

The R reminds me of a confused sportbike missing fairings. The CR looks a little more complete as a streetfighter.

IRULE
09-14-2010, 08:02 AM
The naked look was key factor. Also, it seats more up right when the bar raiser is added. The headlight is aggressive. [up]

boreas
09-14-2010, 08:09 AM
I had a xb 9, and was happy with it, but when the CR came out I wanted it bad. It looked pissed off and evil , not to mention the motor to back it up .Happy with the CR and its looks just waiting to get a pipe .The main reason for owning the CR or the 9 ,is I like not seeing any around other than mine!!!:D

popeye13433
09-14-2010, 10:21 AM
i like the naked look and the CR is just Bad A$$ looking in general

redbolt04
09-14-2010, 10:28 AM
i have been dreaming of a CR since they came out! why a CR over the R, because I still cannot get over the look of the from of the R, those headlights and fairing look awkward, i love the aggressive look of the CR so much more. Second, the ergonomics, a CR with the high bar kit is way nicer than the R in my opinion. too bad college costs so much! guess ill just keep riding the 12R for a while

meetch
09-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Boreas -- I still gotta see this new machine of yours before the snow falls!

BuellRider3158
09-14-2010, 01:45 PM
I ride an xb12 and I honestly thought the cr's were uglier then sin when I first saw them, as I hated the radiator scoops. Just been looking at more and more pictures and now I think they are awesome, would trade my 12 in a second for one.

triple7
09-14-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm just the opposite of theses guys. I bought the R over the CR because the R had more wind protection, especially with the double bubble screen. Also the fairing more integrated the pods for a better look. When I rode the CR I felt like I was right over the front tire and it made the ride feel uncomfortable. I like having something in front of me. Although for sure the CR is more comfy but I put XB lower pegs, Buell select seat and the high R bar kit on mine to make it more comfortable. Just my 2 cents.

FlyingDuc
09-14-2010, 06:46 PM
When I looked around, the CR was cheaper than the R and the CR is more street focused with better low end power.

flwindsurf
09-14-2010, 07:36 PM
I have an 09 XB12XT. I didn't want my streetfighter to look like another XB mod...and when the snowbirds see it in their rear view mirror...children on the sidewalk, RUN! Can't wait until it's delivered.

Mike Van V
09-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Originally I was interested in the "R".

BUT...after really looking at it, I decided that too many people...too far from each other did the design work.
That is...to me, nothing "fits" (bodywork wise, mostly the front half).

It put me off enough to allow the CR to make its debut.
I was hooked as they say on the CR. While I do think the designers could have taken the tail off of the Lightening...I do understand that, that would have taken extra/more money.
The seat sucks. Made by a female designer. I had mine modified to fit the male lower torso.

The better street gearing is also a great positive.

My CR currently has just over 13,5xx miles and running well.

Mike

agfish18
09-15-2010, 01:14 PM
I like both the R and the CR. Honestly, although I bout the R, I think the CR looks meaner and more aggressive. I just made the thing look small (6'5" 270lbs) Plus I got a great deal on the R at the time. Had I waited another 3 months I could have gotten the CR for cheaper, but cant always forsee Buell closing down and fire sales going on everywhere.

cms1172
09-21-2010, 12:35 PM
Love the street fighter look.
Had an XB12Ss that I got in 06. Then when I saw what they were doing with the rotax, I was really stoked. But when another guy I knew got one of the first 1125Rs and had so many problems with it. I decided to hold off. Then comes the reworked 09 models, with the CR forefront. That thing made me fall in love all over again. The dealer gave me a good trade for my Ss, so had to make the trade. So far have about 3500 miles. One wreck and rebuild on it and still tearing up the mountain roads.

BuellDr
09-21-2010, 01:47 PM
mike van v i would love to see some images of yours to see how you changed your seat?

091125CRblack
09-29-2010, 11:25 AM
I like the naked, but also they only had CRs left within a few hours of me when I bought it through the fire sale.

JohnnyS999
09-30-2010, 12:34 PM
Like many of the posters I liked the upright ergos, didn't like the look of the R at all and the CR also had a "sinister" look to it. I say its a Streetfighter not a Cafe Racer as Buell described it. Doesn't look anything like any old Cafe Racer I have ever seen. Plus it was cheap to buy: where could you buy a brand new quality performance motorcycle for under $7K.

Ebeo1
09-30-2010, 08:01 PM
Do you think you could put the windscreen and light from the 1125cr on a firebolt?

Oceansides
10-01-2010, 10:15 AM
the look. Rs are FUGLY

Kidder
10-01-2010, 07:07 PM
I'm one of the ones who took advantage of Buell's misfortune. I wouldn't have bought my CR unless it was priced where it was. How many 130 horsepower motorcycles can you buy with great suspension and that great motor for under $7k? I wasn't even in the market for a motorcycle as I already had my Suzuki V-Strom 650. So, I'm a band wagoner.

After having owned it for 11 months, I can say it's worth every bit of its full MSRP. I really like it a lot.

So, bottom line is that I bought my CR strictly because of the heavily reduced price. And, I like the looks of the CR a lot more than the R.

Cronce1125R
10-01-2010, 09:55 PM
The R reminds me of a confused sportbike missing fairings ouch... well... umm....err... the CR looks like a fat lightning :p

i'm just kidding, i bought the R because i love me some track days and the price and availability was just right

swamp2
10-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I bought a CR instead of an R because...

- ergos with high bars and uly pegs are near perfection (although I thought the clubmans sucked)
- think it looks better, I like naked bikes - there's nothing nastier looking than a black CR
- liked the fact that it was the last new model ever introduced by Buell
- insurance is cheaper
- like that it's geared a bit lower
- didn't have all the "teething problems" negative stigma of the R

Got it at firesale price, but could have had an R for that as well so that wasn't a swinger...

JeepinBueller
10-08-2010, 02:44 PM
I picked my CR when I had just bought my '03 XB9R about 4 months prior. I bought my XB back in September '09 and rode the hell out of it. I'd been DROOLING over the CRs since they came out earlier that summer, knowing I'd never be able to afford them. Buell got the guillotine ( [mad] ) and I saw the deals start popping up everywhere, so I put my XB up for sale and sold it in two days locally for $200 less that I bought it for a few months back.

Love, love, love it. Even through all the stator issues (been replaced once w/battery), I couldn't like a bike more.

winnetka
10-14-2010, 10:45 PM
I would consider getting the CR because of that nice engine, but I can't get over those huge air-thingies sticking out on either side of the bike. Is it possible to remove them to get a cleaner flater look?

boreas
10-15-2010, 06:33 AM
pods - (huge air-thingies).

frostedflakejake
10-15-2010, 07:04 AM
am i the only one that thinks both of them are annoyingly ugly?

agfish18
10-15-2010, 07:19 AM
am i the only one that thinks both of them are annoyingly ugly?

no but the topic is why you bought your CR... not so much why you think they are annoyingly ugly. Most people who post are answering the question because they have bought a CR or an R (and they probably do like the looks of one or the other)

triple7
10-15-2010, 11:02 PM
I have an R and I love the the pods. They are different and make the bike unique. Makes the bike look aggressive and kick ass!!! I like the extra wind protection the R gives me but I admit the CR looks meaner and is more comfortable.

Rebel_CafeRacer
10-15-2010, 11:20 PM
The reason I picked the CR over the R was was simply the fact that I dont want a race bike. I want a pissed off devil of a bike to rip around town and the backroads. I bought my bike for the street, not the track.

The CR has a look all its own and i love owning unique machines. I owned a '94 subaru SVX for the same reasons.

Fine engineering and form following function styling.

swamp2
10-17-2010, 04:13 AM
I really found the pods grew on me. I like the fact that the bike looks very distinctive and not like anything else out there. I find most other bikes look boring in comparison.

And, no - they really can't be removed unless you'd like your motor to melt.

crohead13
10-21-2010, 08:00 AM
I had and 2008 XB12Ss. I loved the way it looked, sounded, handled...etc. I didn't love baking it in the heat in traffic. I didn't like the finicky ignition, plug-fouling etc.

I bought a Red 2009 CR about a month before the fire sale (darn it). I have had no problems with it. I did get a recall notice for the chargins system, but havent replaced anything yet. It's way faster than the XB. The water cooling is awesome. Just a better bike technologically speaking in my opinion.

When the bike first came out, I thought it was fugly for sure. It wasn't until I saw it in the dealer, and I saw the lines from above and the front, that I 'got' it. I now think it is beautiful yet mean looking. It's an awesome bike.

leonc69
10-22-2010, 01:03 AM
At first I wanted the R. I was sold on the race bike look. But friends from Europe kept raving about the CR. They"got" the naked streetfighter/cafe style EBR was going for. Finally the bike grew on me and I picked up a black CR. I am very glad I did. For the type of riding i do I think the CR fits perfectly. I installed the EBR race tuner and the FMF pipe. The bike really goes. I find it odd that I prefer the clubman bars and standard pegs.It seems that most people here don't. This is the third bike in my stable and it seems most people are changing their bikes to ride like my V-rod muscle.(except the v-rod has forward controls.)
No matter how it is set up the CR never ceases to turn heads. I love the looks from all the Gixxer riders when I am at a stoplight. The bike really stands out. Can't say enough good things about it.

tmfcracing
10-22-2010, 03:41 AM
Mine is a XB12SS, I donĀ“t have a CR but could live with one any day. =)
In my dreams it would be a CR without those huge mailbox lookalike scoops. Anyone done that "mod" ???
A Pic could be fun to see =)

boreas
10-22-2010, 07:50 AM
Pods.......... , http://planetsmilies.net/sign-smiley-444.gif again this thread is called " why you purchased a CR "

sportster_mann
11-06-2010, 01:07 PM
I own both - a 2008 R and a 2010 CR - bought the CR for the lower gearing and higher bars, also added Uly pegs for a little extra leg room, it's much better for commuting, the R is better for longer distances.

And I wish people would stop whingeing about the pods, you don't notice them when you're riding, and if you're honest, how much time do you spend just standing there admiring your bike ?

Cronce1125R
11-06-2010, 01:15 PM
the pod stuff is getting old lol, i don't notice them anymore, i think it would look ugly if it was done any other way. i could look at my bike all day, if i could i'd marry it

boreas
11-06-2010, 01:20 PM
sportster ..I agree ,and think the pods are pretty cool :D, one of the reasons why i bought the CR,.... different !!! :D

twoguns
11-06-2010, 07:28 PM
i have a 2009 XB12R... but i couldnt resist the CR any longer. why?

cause they are FREAKING AWESOME! :D

xgambit
11-10-2010, 03:28 PM
cause i like to scare cagers and pedestrians

the CR looks like it wants to eat them

eddiep
11-14-2010, 06:24 AM
Great price, great engine, handles well, and it looks like a Pissed Off Alien!