PDA

View Full Version : To Blast or not to Blast?

mccluresm
03-17-2008, 05:34 PM
So, for intro, I'm super new to riding. My boyfriend (Scobbie001)is teaching me some basics on his XB9R. Its a pretty big bike for me, I'm short and have to tiptoe it to reach the ground and its just too powerful. So far I havent gotten out of the parking lot, I doubt I will anytime soon unless I magically find some totally abandoned road somewhere. I'm doing pretty good on the basics and I'm planning on taking an MSF course sometime this spring. Within the next year, I hope to get my own bike.
Since Robbie started looking at Buell's I've wanted a Blast. I sat on one at a dealership and fell in love. They are cute, and I can flat-foot one in heels and skirt (not that I would ever ride like that).
I've heard great things and bad things(as seems to be the case for most things concerning Buells) about having a Blast as a beginner bike. Some of the negatives I've heard are: too much power for a first bike, too loud (makes beginner riders nervous), too much torque etc. (Most of this was from an article discussing the differences in MSF and Harley RE courses and the possible reasons why Harley has more in-course deaths in their classes than the MSF courses do).
I recently discovered Hyosung bikes and though I love Buells and their unique style I'm reconsidering the Blast. Hyosung makes a cute little GT250 that I'm thinking might make a better first bike (of course I'll move up to a Buell eventually dont fret)
My question is: Does anyone have any experience of a Hyosung and how they compare to a Blast? Does anyone have any opinion regarding the legitimacy of my Blast concerns? Or even any, "Blast as a first bike" stories, suggestions, tips?

strmvt
03-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Mccluresm Most HD/Buell dealers have a Riders Edge course which is similar to MSF course and they supply a Blast for you to ride. Check into that at your local dealer IMHO Blast is a very nice starter bike.

mrdozer2you
03-17-2008, 08:12 PM
a Hyosung and how they compare to a Blast?

I saw them at the motorcycle expo here in MI maybe a month or so ago. I think they are Korean made right? They look alright but I dont really like the 250's There just isnt enough power there, almost to the point of it being damgerous for street riding. Look at their 600...and I think that Kawasaki makes a 650 V-twin that is pretty inexpensive and would better prep you for a Buell upgrade. I cant say about the Blast because i've never ridden one, although a few people on here have them as their daily drivers ( so I guess that helps explain their reliability ) [up] Either way..do your homework and alot of test rides. Find what the best fit for YOU. [up]