PDA

View Full Version : 2007 xb12r wont start

StalkerBuell
03-18-2008, 03:41 PM
i put my new jardine muffler on last night. started it up to check for leaks and awesome!!!! got ready to leave the next morning for work. bike tried to start then died. thought i ran out of gas. filled up and still just turns over. any ideas. harley said i may have flooded the bike out.

k_reed_14
03-18-2008, 04:21 PM
My guess is you fouled the plugs. The dealer told me that if you don't give the bike time to warm up and you rev it or anything its super easy to foul plugs. It happend to me.

LeFox
03-18-2008, 07:50 PM
you just installed the exhaust and nothing else?
after install you started the engine and shut it down again?

changing 1 detail to an engine gives a chain reaction...everything works together, so by changing 1 thing all the rest gets thrown off course.
if you do things yourself it's best to 1st read up on things on what you're actually doing.

what setup do you have?

justice720
03-20-2008, 04:13 AM
well you might have fouled the plugs.. that's my guess.. when you changed the muffler it allows more air to escape the vacuum of the engine quicker.. the bike compromises by pushing more fuel through the engine.. so if you just changed the muffler without tuning the engine or adjusting the map you probably fouled the plugs buy not allowing the bike to reset/ adjust itself. I'd check the plugs.. disconnect the battery for 30 mins... reconnect.. start the bike up let it idle for about 5 mins then go for a very leisurely stroll.. don't pin the throttle or anything.. I'm not a buell expert but that's how it is on cars.. so I'm sure the same thing happened here.

you probably don't have to replace the spark plug either.. you can just take a really fine piece of sand paper and rough 'em up/ clean 'em up for now.. that should get you going if it's your only transportation..

good luck.

fouled plug pic (http://www.lambretta.co.uk/downloads/image/plugfouled.jpg)

SeattleBuellMan
03-30-2008, 07:24 PM
I just bought a 06 xb12r....first night i had it form the dealer, stoped at sisters house to show the family. My 5 yr old niece sits on it while i was on the phone with my work. she proceeds to push the "yellow" start button and twist the throttle, flooded the bike bad. I just got done changing the oil after taking the plugs out and blasting the gas out of the cylinders. Plugs were bad so i bought new ones along with lucas 20-50 to change oil. man that was a pain.....have had the bike since tuesday the 25th and havent even got to ride my gorgeous state yet. cant wait. glad i found this site. great info and some intelegant people posting