PDA

View Full Version : Bad Stator

AZCRrider
10-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Had to turn the bike back over to the dealership this week. I went for my weekly Sunday ride and wasn't tem miles before my check engine and battery lights came on. Headed back to the house (about 7 miles away) and in that time I watched the volts drop from about 12 to under ten. The bike died on the way to the dealership and was reading 7.4-7.7 when it kicked off. I just had the charging harness recall maintenance performed a couple of months ago. The service rep at HD said there are currently two more 1125CRs at the dealership with the same problem, bad stators. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up.

xtreme6669
10-01-2010, 08:17 AM
[down]

Oceansides
10-01-2010, 10:16 AM
Yeah, the 09s seem to have a load of bad stators. What is your riding style, and how many miles? Any other issues?

JohnnyS999
10-02-2010, 08:36 PM
This is a serious problem and more common than not. If not for the fact most of us are still on warranty, this defect can cost a lot of dough to fix. Sounds like either a mechanical flaw or improper heat sinking from the regulator and stator. Similar to the problem Ducati had with their superbikes back from 1995 to 1997 or 8. However, their problem wasn't so much the stator, it was the rectifier/regulator overheating and causing the low gauge wires and nearby connectors to fry. At that time the electrical was single phase and when Ducati upgraded the wires, went to multi phase(additional wire coming out of rectifier)electrical and improved the rectifier heat sink, the problem went away.

I think what both situations have in common is the inability of the systems to shed heat, also, the Ducati electrical system was weak to begin with so any extra heat sent the system into overload.

CoastieRider
10-03-2010, 09:59 AM
A how to guide to change the stator:

http://www.ukbeg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8551

Red93stang
10-03-2010, 11:22 AM
Bummer AZC, my R has been in the shop for 2 weeks for a bad stator. I have been reading about horror stories, replacing the stator about every 4500 miles. It's obvious the harness isn't fixing anything cause they are going bad after it has a brand new stator. I hope the find the problem soon!