PDA

View Full Version : shifter screw keeps backing out..

justice720
03-20-2008, 04:01 AM
ok so I bought my 03 xb9r salvaged with minor left side damage.. mostly salvaged because of the dent in the tank.. I've replaced the mirror, clutch lever, blinker and now I keep loosing my shift lever bolt..

anyways, I've lost 3 shifter bolts now. I'm talking about the bolt that holds the shift lever onto the case.. I've replaced it with the stock bolt and spacers.. I've put superglue on it .. teflon tape, thread locker.. and now I'm just keeping extra bolts in my rear seat.. any sugestions on how to keep this bolt from backing out while I'm riding? I was thinking about drilling and tapping the case to add a screw pinning the bolt in place. I'm tired of getting stuck in 5th gear and loosing all my tranny fluid on the way home after a long ride.

[down][confused][down]

BuellPartsGuy
03-20-2008, 05:58 AM
Replace the lever the bolt is in and put the new one on and red loctite the bolt in.

LeFox
03-20-2008, 08:57 AM
http://www.nautilus21.com/catalog/images/loctite641.jpg
Threadlocking
Locking solutions for all threaded parts on powertrain, exterior or interior.

Loctite® 222 - Low Strength for Small Fasteners
Loctite® 242 - Medium Strength - General Purpose
Loctite® 243 - Medium Strength - Oil Tolerant
Loctite® 262 - Permanent Strength (up to M36)
Loctite® 270 - Maximum Strength
Loctite® 2701 - Maximum Strength (improved Loctite® 270)
Loctite® 277 - High Strength for Large Bolts
Loctite® 290 - Medium Strength

justice720
03-23-2008, 08:31 PM
I just realized I was putting the removable locktite on the bolt.. got the right stuff (permanent).. maybe that'll do the trick..

bullpartsguy.. you think the lever is the issue? it doesn't look tweaked.. .. I ordered one along with another spacer just to be safe though..

thanks for the help guys..

justice720
04-19-2008, 08:49 AM
3weeks and counting.. hopefully it says.. I do have some movement on it though.. it has some slack about a mm of movement.. any thoughts? normal? should I retap and use a bigger bolt?