PDA

View Full Version : Penske 8987

sinpieces
03-25-2008, 10:49 AM
Hi Buellers,

anyone of you using the Penske 8987 unit?
If yes, it would be nice to talk some settings etc...

BuellPartsGuy
03-25-2008, 07:32 PM
A guy here at my dealer races an XB9R with one of those in the rear. He says its great, just make sure to order it properly to your style of riding and weight.

sinpieces
03-26-2008, 08:38 PM
Well, yes i know what i ordered talking weight and style. But i did not receive any papers verifying that. Though i notice i need to adjust it more looking at how it is pre-set. I did my first riding today and i like it but it is lots to do. I really miss some things here, i think they should release some setting platforms. A presetting is one thing, but they should release atleast 3 platforms to try from, then better examples on how to work out from that platform which customer finds best. This is why i would like more feedback at it. I will work it in some different roads. I did a good job with the Showa i think. Suspension is really important, this is a element which is difficult to get help with from dealers, but clearly worth learning.

Thanks for the input!!!
/R

gbalias
04-23-2008, 01:34 AM
im not 100% familiar with the penske products....but based on my supermoto racing, etc....

suspension on a bike is next in line in priority after the actual rider. they probably dont send different settings with the shock because they might assume that anyone doing a such upgrade has already surpassed the level of riding on the stocker, in which case, will be on par with making adjustments on their own. the largest factors are rider weight and riding style/terrain.

1st thing is to be sure the preload is properly set. this allows the shock valving to work most efficiently. there needs to be a baseline here. if the penske doesnt have that info, go off the buell specs for preload.

next youll want to adjust the comp/reb. this can get tricky...and i will refrain from pointers since we dont know the bikes characteristics just yet. but all these settings will affect steering speed, braking stability, turn-in, wheel chatter, etc. theres a lot goin on there with just a few settings. take your time and adjust the clickers 2-3 at a time, then fine tune.

do those things have a high AND low speed comp adjustment?

hope this helps, even just a little.

sinpieces
04-23-2008, 11:00 AM
Hi gbalias,

i have set the shock's height adjustment and worked rider sag, rebound, high and low speed compression (yes, it has high/low comp), it's not that difficult really. Mine was ordered custom made for 185Ibs, aggressive street riding. For me, the shock is giving more comfort and at the same time it's compressing more controlled and not as much (as stock) when pulling the throttle. It's also smoother and giving better surface feedback, there are "no" crossovers felt compaired to stock. I have XB 9 primary for my Xb 12, and the bike hit 190km/h then it's redline (lost 10% top speed) at fifth gear. That's were i go (too often). Suspension is great now. I think it's common that people tend to go to hard on the settings, easy to lose track/feedback in high speed's.. i tried different styles approach and now it's very good. Well, it's recommendable to redline speed freaks taking time to set it. I have no problems with stock front suspension. Also use steering damper on occasions.
:p

gbalias
04-24-2008, 01:17 AM
sounds like you got it dialed in pretty good. if youre feeling like its giving you more confidence in the corners...youre on the right track. as far as the front goes, you might be able to revalve them and/or swap out the oil for better tuning.

have fun out there!!

you got pics of it, id like to see it all together.

sinpieces
04-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Yeah, i got pics of the Penske mounted at my bike. I try to upload them from my phone, but i have some problems. I will update my profile when i get the phone to upload correctly...

sinpieces
04-25-2008, 05:21 PM
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/83_20080425101517_L.jpg

Sorry, its a bit of a blurr. The pic is from my mobile and it's super sensitive for movements..

sinpieces
05-13-2008, 06:01 PM
I know this is a bit off topic.
But i would like to share my opinion of a combination.
Free Spirit Trail Kit and Penske 8987 + adding the Crossroads Performance 0 degree handlebar.

I must admit, doing the Free Spirit trail kit (23 degree rake, adding 28mm trail, fork come 12 mm lower) and also using an aftermarket rear shock as Penske 8987 (AST will do). Setting the ride height adjustment at maximum 12mm (Penske). This is the best handling i have ever experienced. The Penske was a spot on, this combo smokes the original setup. The bike swallow corners with ease, under heavy acceleration the bike has super comfort (it compresses less also) and better handling and stability than original (Showa rear shock and 21 degree rake).
I do not notice any significant drawbacks of the original front suspension (as with the rear Showa). This is something i think most should experience, as a combination.
The Free Spirit trail kit has service intervals as the original steering head bearing (torque (50Nm), maintenance etc.)
I do not do wheelies (or stoppies), so i do not know how it holds up for that in the long run?
I would suggest for the wheelie (stoppie) guy/girl, check the torque of the steem bolt more often. If it comes loose (and you ride around with it like that) you might destroy the Free Spirit bearings. Since the raking/trail is in the cups (over and under bearing) this is more sensible to the steem bolt is correctly adjusted and sit tight.
Quality of the bearings etc is very good, no worries! Do not misinterpret this for something else, if they were any bad or had noticable flaws i would say so and also disable my own kit.

Adding a more race like bar (example is Crossroads 0 degree version) will bring the XB/s a not as comfy ride for cruising,.. but for the rest it's super....

My Penske 8987 is order for my weight (aggressive street riding).

Settings:

Penske 8987:
Maximum ride height 12mm up, rebound was turned first to 17 clicks (34 clicks is full), then 2 turns back (15 clicks).
Do notice, setting rebound too high (to fast) will unload the wheel and you'll end up with wheel spin (worse traction). This is not anything you want. By adding more weight to the front wheel you will have a less twitchy front end. Adjusting the Penske 12mm up will make more weight come on the front wheel. This in combination with the Free Spirit trail kit will give you a more stable front end of the bike. That is also why you shall be cautious with the rear rebound.
(you unload more weight of the rear wheel and put more at the front wheel.)

Compression is adjustable both in high and low speed.
Start off with the low speed (do not remember clicks at this one). My high speed compression is set quite smooth (soft) to swallow bumps.

Front fork:
The front forkpreload was set by the book, but in this case i prefer to stiffen it a bit since i have added more weight at the front wheel and front forks ofcourse. This is due to lifting the rear end and adding the Crossroad Performance bar which also add a more low and forward ride style.

So, i suggest turning the preload adjuster nut 2 - 2½ (3) turns stiffer (harder) than that suggest in the Buell manual. My fork rebound is 1½, i do not remember compression setting of the fork (I can check my compression settings for both the Penske and front Showa suspension if someone really wants it in numbers!?)
That is, if someone would like to use this a platform to start off with. If buying same set up as mine.

Ok, if anyone would like to ask something, i will try to answer as good is i can.
Cheers fellow Buellers:p