PDA

View Full Version : Firebolt with Some Weird Mods...

BuellPartsGuy
02-13-2007, 05:44 PM
http://www.freespirits.it/images/primaria1.jpg

Check this bike out. Quite a bit of unique parts on it. Different forks, jap bike front brakes, rear sets, chain conversion, custom swingarm, ohlins suspension, carbon frame guards, open belt dry primary,reverse flow exhuast and different triple trees. I think they relocated the oil tank up underneath the passenger cowl. Why would you want all that weight up so damn high?

buellxb
02-13-2007, 11:54 PM
Those are some crazy parts? What's the point of the front brake change? I thought that was a major feature on the XB models. The brake disc is mounted to the outside of the rim for more surface area and a nice reduction in front end weight. Lower rotating mass. I do like the carbon fiber frame. [confused]

BuellXB9SA
02-14-2007, 11:25 AM
well yes the buell brakes are good but one fact still remains brembo brakeset is far better. i found that the braking system on the KTM 990superduke far better than the buell's. Understand that the speed of the disk on the outside of the rim is far higher so the brake pads work very hard to slow the disk down. i am looking to upgrade my brakes to a brembo system. i am gonna stick with the outerrim disk and change the compound of the pads to suit the high speed at the outside of the wheel. Add a Brembo brake lever,brake fluid container and fluid line to the Caliper.

BuellPartsGuy
02-14-2007, 04:28 PM
The only time you can really benefit from a dual radial mount front disk it track use. Its just like on the Harley's, dual disk stops almost the same as a single disk on the same bike. But after repeated stops, the dual disk dominates. It disipates the heat better. It just the matter of surface area, more area of disk to grab and more pad to grab it. I would like to see a dual ZTL rotor perform against a dual radial mount and see how they stack up. Yes the ZTL is spinning faster, but its a matter of leverage. The farther away from the fulcrum point,the easier it is. The ZTL has that.

I put EBC pads in mine, and other than a little more brake noise due to the tougher compound, they improved.

By the way, I found that picture at this site. They have a lot of cool ****.

http://www.freespirits.it/parts_index_en.php

biker2007
03-02-2007, 02:07 AM
Nice bike. Wish I could ride it now!

Custom World International Motorcycle Parts Catalog (http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/custom-world-international-722/custom-world-international-motorcycle-parts-catalog-456.html) - Download the Custom World International Motorcycle Parts Catalog

Phrogg
10-19-2007, 01:36 PM
Could anyone give me a link to get some front brake pads? I wanna make sure I pick up the right ones.

BuellPartsGuy
10-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Stock brake pads? Elaborate a little and I can help ya...

sijames
10-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Understand that the speed of the disk on the outside of the rim is far higher so the brake pads work very hard to slow the disk down.

Actually, the outside of the rim travels at exactly the same rpm as the center, I'd eat my own head if it did anything other.. It's less work to stop a rotating device furthest from its center, so no, wrong again... :)

Phrogg
10-20-2007, 05:23 AM
Yea, just some stock brakes. Mine are getting low and I need to replace them here very soon. I believe they are EBC, but not 100% on that. So any information on the front brakes would be good.

thanks!

devildog3042
11-09-2007, 11:17 PM
what the hell, man. they just took a work of art and made it another cookie-cutter modded out rocket! first off, why would you change the front brake to the jap kind, second, whats with the fork change, third, why change the oil tank/swingarm with a seperate swing arm and an added oil tank? this is blasphemy!

devildog3042
11-09-2007, 11:18 PM
its also a slap in Erik Buell's face.

devildog3042
11-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Actually, the outside of the rim travels at exactly the same rpm as the center, I'd eat my own head if it did anything other.. It's less work to stop a rotating device furthest from its center, so no, wrong again...

he's right. the outside spins the same as the inside, just more friction area means more stopping power with less overheating.

ChasCrewChief
08-19-2008, 04:30 AM
The reason I want to dump the ZTL brake is the Warpage issue. I have applied Busa brakes at 200 with no warpage or issues, but friends return from Deals Gap weekend with front brake pulsing. And why does Buell use a better 6mm disc in racing but 5mm on the street. (race on Sunday sell on Monday?)

LeFox
08-19-2008, 08:14 AM
And why does Buell use a better 6mm disc in racing but 5mm on the street. (race on Sunday sell on Monday?)
cause racing demands a bit extra from the brakes compared to street use.
not everyone who buys a stock bike is going to race the thing, so to cut production cost and thus get it to the people at a better price the fit the other disc.

every brand has different brake setups on their racing bikes...has nothing to do with 'race on sunday, sell on monday'

06xb9r
08-20-2008, 01:02 AM
Dual ZTL:D:D:D
I saw a picture on here a while back of a custom bike that had this.

The open belt dry primary on this post looks bad ass, don't think I would want it open on the steet though

sinpieces
08-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Well, that is a Free Spirits bike. Ask Marcello if you want to know anything. Those guys could build you all "the bike". I would like to buy that new open belt tranny.. but you have to send the bike to them. It weights alot less than origianl + lots of other features. This bike is so cool. I bet it's one of their bigbore units. About swingarm conversions, they got a cool one looking like the XBRR unit (for chain conversion, though).
It's not the one at the pic. That swingarm i mentioned, is based on the original, it is reworked quite a bit only.

NOMORE4s4ME
08-20-2008, 04:35 PM
How much in US$ for that race oil cooler. Are those prices in euros? Dumb question I know. I think that would look bad ass in black on my XBs

sinpieces
09-25-2008, 05:10 PM
I got the 19 row oil cooler at home, in black. We were mounting it. We took it off. You need to cut off teh original oil cooler brackets to make it fit.
Later on, i learned it is way to large for a standard engine. Let's say you have bigbore + turbo and live in saudi. For me, up in the north,,, the oil won't reach correct temp. And yes, it was €320 painted and shipped.

XBear9S
09-29-2008, 05:16 PM
Actually, the outside of the rim travels at exactly the same rpm as the center, I'd eat my own head if it did anything other.. It's less work to stop a rotating device furthest from its center, so no, wrong again...

It does indeed rotate @ the same speed, but you have more surface area passing thru @ the same speeds. The pads do have to work harder despite the rpm staying constant.

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

"That is the most visceral and
angriest damn motorcycle I've ever ridden."

--Frightened Ducatista Mechanic

XBear9S
09-29-2008, 05:23 PM
As far as the racing brake being thicker b/c of demands. Well, I don't race my bike, but I do ride the piss out of it and sure 'nuff I've warped my rotor. I'm upgrading to a wave and hope that it'll last me a few years longer.

I don't get the mentality of assuming we don't ride as hard as some guy on a race bike. I don't think that's it at all. It's nickel and dime cost cutting to meet the needs of the assumed masses, and then offering an upgrade for an additional sum of money. Not beating up on anyone, but money makes the world go 'round...

Robtk! a.k.a. "Special K"

"The best things in life are free wheelies."

--19th Century HellBuelly Proverb