PDA

View Full Version : Searching user pics

Baal
10-18-2010, 08:07 PM
Is it possible to search the "Members Buell Pics" section? It would be great to be able to search by either username or picture title/tag. Anybody know?

upthemaiden
10-19-2010, 04:20 AM
Don't think there is. I wish there was a way to at least tell who user pics belonged to. There's been a couple times I wanted to send someone a PM with a question about their bike, but have no idea who the picture belonged to.

agfish18
10-19-2010, 09:04 AM
I suppose it gets you out there to look for who ever posted it. just search the recent threads for it... It is time consuming, but if you really wanted find them it is possible.

upthemaiden
10-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Most of the time you can line them up with newer threads. There's been a few times someone posted a picture I was super curious about and it never popped up into any threads so I'll be wondering forever.

agfish18
10-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah, I know... it is a pain in the ass... and sometimes it just never gets posted... some people may have just loaded it in their profile, but not posted it. You can always set up a post that asks who's picture it is... with any luck someone will know.

marnej
10-19-2010, 12:28 PM
If everyone adds a nick on the photo - as here, that could be found ... or a photo in their profile would automatically write the admin nick ... or the "description photo" write your nick ?http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/4999_20101019062644_L.jpg

agfish18
10-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Mods...is there a way to maybe add a section in the area where you load pictures so that the people posting them have to input their SN?

upthemaiden
10-19-2010, 01:43 PM
There's a box for a description. I always put my username in there as well as any info about the picture if I thinks it's anything someone might care about.

Baal
10-19-2010, 07:49 PM
But even with the SN in the description, how do you find it?

agfish18
10-20-2010, 08:24 AM
getting people to use that section is what we really need I guess... if you have the SN in the section you could easily just PM the guy/ gal to ask your question.

upthemaiden
10-20-2010, 09:58 AM
But even with the SN in the description, how do you find it?

How do you find the screen name in the description, or how do you find the picture in the first place?

When you open a picture anything the user wrote would just be right above the picture. Click this link.... http://www.buellxb.com/index.php?a=image_upload&i=13561 and you can see on the left side right above the picture it says "Upthemaiden- LED inside the air filter", that's what I was talking about. That way if anyone really had a question about it they'd at least know who to track down for a PM.

As far as searching for a picture, don't think there's any way to do it. I just browse through the pictures sometimes when I'm bored and that's when I come across some I'm curious about.

Livers
11-09-2010, 01:27 PM
This can't be that tough. When I'm logged in, My Pics is in the menu in the message section. Those photos are tagged to me somehow. That same search could be added to a users profile so anyone can click on my user-name, go to my profile page, and click for my pictures. That's half of the way there. The other is to encourage/force the use of meaningful tags in the Description when adding a photo to facilitate searching. That's not so easy.

I'd hope this is high on the wish list, the topic comes up often enough.

dave_xb12r
11-09-2010, 01:40 PM
I've asked about adding these functions. It's on the list of updates.

upthemaiden
11-09-2010, 02:01 PM
It would be awesome, not only for searching, but also just for checking out individuals bikes and mods, kind of like an extension of the push to have people fill in their profiles. That being said, I appreciate what we've got here and try not to make ask for more than I already get out of the forum, so I leave it in the "that would be cool" catagory.

Livers
11-09-2010, 03:19 PM
+1 to what upthemaiden is saying - improve profiles and help the building of community. A good thing.

upthemaiden
11-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Please ignore the "make" from my last post, it was a typo.

crxtasy169
11-09-2010, 07:32 PM
I also think it would be helpful if under the pictures it had a direct link to the forum it is related to or in should I say.