PDA

View Full Version : handlebars to drill or not to drill

Path125
03-31-2008, 02:14 PM
Just threw on a set of Renthal bars on my xb12s.

The only thing left to do is drill the holes made for the controls.

Do people drill the holes like the original bars (so the controls don't rotate), or just get rid of the nipple on the plastic of the controls?

His_and_Her_Buells
03-31-2008, 02:28 PM
I would drill. People who have broken their nipple have complained about the controls rotating. Though I'm sure there are way to keep it from happening, it is probably less work and frustration to just go ahead and drill.

bleblanc03
03-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Yes. Drill. I smashed the nipple on my left-hand controls and it was terrible having my turn indicator switch in a different place every time I reached for it. The switch pod will rotate unless, as His_and_Her_Buells said, you did something to stop it. Setting the screws to RFT is not enough. It would take some rubber sheet, I think.

bleblanc03
03-31-2008, 06:43 PM
And, BTW, cool. I just ordered a set of ProTaper Contours in the Woods Lo bend, brushed aluminum finish. I'm pretty excited about getting a little lower and more forward.

NOMORE4s4ME
03-31-2008, 07:13 PM
I put those same bars on my bike and drilled a hole on mine. Its the right way to do it.

NOMORE4s4ME
03-31-2008, 07:17 PM
You also might want to think about rigging up a new turn stop or whatever its called. Otherwise full left or right in a parking lot will either hit the ignition or the horn on the gas tank.

They really improve the feel of the bike. enjoy.

typeone
03-31-2008, 08:58 PM
two sets of MX bars, never drilled. (Azonic and ProTaper)

i snipped the 'nipples' almost right away, my controls dont spin but if they did, i would just apply 1 wrap of electrical tape. done.

justice720
04-19-2008, 07:49 AM
" i would just apply 1 wrap of electrical tape. done."

haha you sound like my brother he thinks bailing wire and duct tape will fix anything.. lol

But, I'd have to agree something as simple as a fixed spacer will stop the rotation, in this case electrical tape is the spacer.. any weather resistant tape will work. I don't think electrical tape it the most weather resistant out there but it's all I can think of at 3am.