PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Stand

dallasb
10-26-2010, 06:35 PM
I am thinking about getting a set of stands for my xb9. This winter she will need new shoes so figured now would be a good time to purchase something that will keep the bike from falling on top of me. So what are your recommendations? Right now I'm really interested in the T-Rex as they seem to be high quality at a good price. I'm not really sure how wide I would need to get in order for it to fit around the rear swingarm. Also would you guys suggest a front tree stand or just the ones that hold the bike from the bottom of the fork.

upthemaiden
10-26-2010, 07:51 PM
It seems pretty unanimous that if you want great(10/10 stands, get the pit bull stands, if you want really good stands that don't cost as much(8 or 9 out of 10) get the t-rex.

You'll want the stand that lifts the bike by the bottom triple though. Unless you want to pull the whole brake caliper you need to twist the fork tube to get the wheel out, which you can't do if it lifts the bike by the bottom of the fork tubes, unless they sell the kind that pokes up straight into the bottom of the fork. I'm not sure of the options.

Miami78
10-26-2010, 09:38 PM
I was looking at the t-rex stands because the pit bulls are way overkill for my need to occasionally lift my bike for service.

Read a lot of mixed reviews on the t-rex though, sounded like they started off great, but did not hold up well, ended up they would require frequent tightening until they get to the point you cannot tighten them any more.

Then found these stands...GPI industries (http://www.gpiindustries.com/), and found nothing but great reviews about them. Plus they are just a bit more than the t-rex stands. Going to pick up a set in the next couple days to do my 10k service and swap my wheels with, I'll post back with my impression if anyone wants.

upthemaiden
10-27-2010, 04:52 AM
They look like a good deal, especially if you get some of the 'blemish' sets. Just measure your swingarm and check the measurements on the stands. I think my xb swingarm was 14.5 inches. When I got the stand I have I had to slide the arms all the way out, grind the bolts and washers down, then slide the arms out a little bit more to squeeze the swingarm in. Definitely couldn't have gone any wider but it was just enough to work.

Miami78
10-27-2010, 08:43 AM
Yeah, from what I read everyone ordered the blems, and only about half of those had any marks at all the buyer could find...usually just a little scratch or nick in the powdercoat. Certainly not an issue for something I'm going to scratch up myself using it in the garage!

I emailed Lee, who runs GPI...he said that the rear will fit the xb swing arm just fine (but at it's maximum width setting), but any wider and people have reported bending it wider themselves to make it fit (1125 swingarm is wider than the xb isn't it?).

Art
10-27-2010, 09:49 AM
Hey dallasb take a look on craigslist and see if you can find some. In the process of picking up a set of lockhart phillips stands right now for $100 for the set. I've seen all kinds on their though. Good luck if you havn't picked any up yet.

dallasb
10-27-2010, 09:54 AM
Yea I found a pitbull stand for 85 on craigslist...but i'm not sure if it will fit my bike.

Art
10-27-2010, 10:50 AM
I've been in the same boat as you. It's gota be a swingarm type and has to measure 13" and wider to fit our bikes. the front I'm not sure on the pin size we need though. Keep looking I'm sure you can find a great deal somewhere. Check out lockhart phillips site pretty cheap for new and pretty good quality I guess. Also free shiping. I'll keep you posted on how I make out with mine. You save enough to buy the stand on the first tire change plus all the other use you get. Good luck to ya.

theoctopus
10-27-2010, 11:05 AM
T-rex all the way. Had mine and used them a ton. On a bunch of different bikes, too. It's a good deal for a good stand.

upthemaiden
10-27-2010, 11:21 AM
I bought my rear pit bull stand on craigslist for $40. It's pretty well used but it's still gonna last forever. I had to grind down the two top bolts flat on one side so I could slide the arms out further, but it works perfect now. Craigslist is definitely great for that stuff.

vanson1200r
10-27-2010, 11:30 AM
I bought a rear universal stand from Cyclegear about 10 years ago and it fit all 4 of my bikes and fits my Buell great also. I also bought a front bottom of the fork stand a few years ago also for my other bikes but found it does NOT work on the Buell because of the left fork being longer than the right fork for the pinch bolts. I just use tiedowns to hold my rear stand to the rear foot pegs and use a floor jack under the stock exhaust jacking point and it's stable enough that way for cleaning and wheel removal.

moshaholic2
10-27-2010, 11:43 AM
http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=185

bought these, they showed up yesterday, put them together pretty quickly and changed the front and rear tires on my 03xb9r no problems. Seemed pretty steady while w/ the wheels off and the bike in the air.

Haven't tried them on my 09 Xb12Ss. But, did line the rear stand up to make sure it was wide enough for it too and it looked good to go.

Art
10-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Whats the price in a set of t-rex stands if you don' mind me asking

moshaholic2
10-27-2010, 01:03 PM
I think it was around $170 shipped