PDA

View Full Version : DOWNLOADING RACE MAp tomorrow

jabooty
10-27-2010, 05:44 PM
hello,
i got the ECMSPY and cable from Xopt.
my brother will help me download the race map for my 2006 XB12S. i know nothing about how to do it except for reseting the TPS which he has helped me do. i don't have a PC that is why i have asked him for help. he knows nothing about motorcycles.

can someone please give me a step-by-step instructions?
i don't want to screw anything up. i still have to ride the bike back from my brothers house.

i have a K&N filter and a Jardine slip-on only.
which map should i use?
will the race map do ok?

thanks

upthemaiden
10-27-2010, 05:56 PM
Yeah just use the race map. I'm borrowing someone's cable for a few days and I'm hoping to load mine this weekend as well. I was gonna dig around for some instructions, but you took the easy way out and just asked, so hopefully someone answers you and saves me from searching :D

dallasb
10-27-2010, 06:04 PM
DO NOT JUST BURN THE EERPOM TO YOUR STOCK ECM! IT CAN AND WILL BRICK IT! Just open the race map and copy and paste the values for the front/rear timing and fuel maps into your stock map. Then burn to your ecm. I can give a more detailed step by step but I promise it isn't hard.

jabooty
10-27-2010, 06:16 PM
dallasb,
i have this race maphttps://sites.google.com/site/ecmspy/xb12/2006

will this work?

do i need to save my stock map just incase things don't work out?

do i need to reset tps again after the race map?

sorry, i'm clueless with this stuff.
i guess i'll need a step-by step instructions.
please.

thanks

dallasb
10-27-2010, 06:59 PM
Yea it should work I guess. I haven't loaded it up but just make sure that the numbers look ok. Basically you don't want to have 0 pulsewidth at 5k rpm. You don't need to reset the TPS but I would recommend it just so you have the best running bike you can.

Step 1: Open up stock map in ecmspy
Step 2: Open up race map in different ecmspy window
Step 3: Copy front race fuel map (ctrl+c)
Step 4: Paste into stock front fuel map(ctrl+v)
Step 5: Repeat steps 3 and 4 for rear fuel map
Step 6: Repeat steps 3 and 4 for rear and front timing maps
Always...and I cannot stress enough...always save your stock map in serveral different places. This will give you a safetly net in case something goes wrong.

jabooty
10-28-2010, 05:39 PM
thanks.
gonna try it tomorrow. my brother is coming over instead so i wont be stuck just incase something goes wrong.

another question, how do i load the race map to the ecm spy?

dallasb
10-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Just open the text file...so go to open eeprom...the search for the text file

jabooty
10-30-2010, 06:08 PM
ok, unsuccessful.
i Attempted to load the '2006 XB12 Race' EEPROM using ECPSpy Software and got an error that the '2006 XB12 Race.TXT' is not compatible.
Rather than attempting to load the '2006 XB12 Race.TXT' EEPROM data, is it possible to just manually paste the Front & Rear mappings in ECMSPY. The problem is, the files we downloaded, are ONLY the EEPROM TXT files. Viewing the EEPROM TXT files, it is written HEX data.
When we attempt to copy the FRONT/REAR maps onto notepad, they are just simple comma seperated values IE.
"1;1;1;170;1;2;170;1;3;180;1;4;190;1;5;225;1;6;220; 1;7;210;1;8;190;1;9;201;1;10;218;1;11;244;1;12;... and so forth."
When I attempt to load the mappings into ECM SPy, the software is asking for an .msq file. MSQ file is the format ECMSpy uses when exporting the mappings.
So there two ways (That need to be verified and confirmed). Can we just manually copy & paste the mappings in the same comma seperated value as I pasted above?
OR
Are the FRONT/REAR mappings available to download in .MSQ format.

jabooty
10-30-2010, 06:11 PM
or,? can someone please email me a RACE MAP in MSQ format.....please

2006 Buell XB12S
Jardine and K&N filter
STOCK ECM

Stevenc150
10-31-2010, 12:19 AM
ECMSpy EEPROMs (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/EcmSpy-EEPROMs-and-Maps-website)

williegoat
10-31-2010, 02:39 AM
Here is what worked for me.

It is important to remember that eproms are .txt files and maps (which are a portion of the date in an eprom) are .msq files. Never try to directly edit these files unless you know exactly what you are doing.

First and foremost, connect to the bike, fetch your stock eprom and save it in a safe place. It will be a .txt file.

Now, away from the bike, create a new folder and copy your stock eprom and the race eprom to the new folder. This way you lessen the risk of destroying the original data. This new folder will be your working directory. All of the file operations in the next steps should be done from this directory.

Next, open the race eprom in ecm spy (File > Load EEPROM...) *it will be a .txt file*
Save the maps in your working directory (File > Save Map...) *you will create a .msq file*
Now, open your stock eprom (File > Load EEPROM...) *it will be a .txt file*
Next, load the race maps into your stock eprom (File > Load Map...) *it will be a .msq file*
Now, save your newly created hybrid eprom with a name you will remember (File > Save EEPROM...) *you will create a .txt file*

I found the following steps necessary, though others may not.
Close ECM Spy.
Now, open two copies of ECM Spy and open the race eprom in one and your newly created custom eprom in the other.
Go to the 'Maps' tab and compare the column headers (RPM values) in your custom eprom with those of the race map. Make sure that the values in your custom map match those of the race map. If they do not, right-click on the cell in your custom eprom, choose 'edit' and change the value to that of the race map, then re-save your custom eprom. Now, the maps in your custom eprom should match those in the race eprom.

To be on the safe side, you could now open your custom eprom along side the stock eprom and make sure that all of the data in the other tabs match.

Now, burn your custom eprom to the bike, reset AFV and TPS, and go for a ride.

upthemaiden
10-31-2010, 07:14 AM
At least you got further than I did. I spent 3 hours getting absolutely no where. I got my bike hooked up to ecmspy, but none of the options in the file menu would highlight to even let me do anything. Then I found out you need the drivers, so I downloaded and installed those and still nothing. When I click on 'File' it just won't let me click on anything. I thought maybe I had an outdated version of ECMspy, so I deleted it and pulled up the Octopus thread on loading maps, and my already spiraling plane just bust into flames and started to pick up speed at this point. I downloaded the Mono and Tunerpro he put up links for and couldn't even figure out how to open Mono. None of the icons actually opened a program. Considering I was actually farther away than when I started hours earlier, I figured I would do best to hold off and start again another day. All of this is kinda making me want carbs again. It was never explained to me that I would have to understand how to work computers when I started getting into motorcycle when I was 17 [mad] haha

Anyone have a link to a current version of ECMspy just to make sure I've actually got what I need so I can know that it's just me, and not the computer giving me troubles?

dallasb
10-31-2010, 07:40 AM
@upthemaiden

Look in the DIY section. There should be a link that is a sticky that has the program in it. If you need a quick link i can post one up but I figure you could find it just as fast.

upthemaiden
10-31-2010, 08:20 AM
I think that's the last one I was looking at, posted by theoctopus. This the one you're using? http://www.go-mono.com/mono-downloads/download.html

I also saw a post from gatorbuell but that one looked like it was going way beyond what I was trying to do with actual tuning, and not just loading the map.

dallasb
10-31-2010, 09:05 AM
This (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Do-It-Yourself-Buell-Mods/ECM-Spy-Download) is the one that I was talking about. It has ecmspy as well as where to find the drivers in the thread. I'm confused on what exactly you need mono for. ECMspy doesn't require it. Now if your trying to use ecmspy read then that is a different story. Are you just trying to push a race map onto your ecm?

mailtoome
11-23-2010, 09:20 AM
I installed the race map n works great other than at cold start the bike won't stay on. I. Have to warm it a few minutes n then it stays on. Other than that its perfect. I have new oils, ngk iridiums, airbox mod, servo turned off n white wire off, o2 on, muffler mod, breather mod, timing correct, and tps reset with idle around 1100 or less. Not sure why it doesn't. stay on when cold. Lmk if u experience the samething

dallasb
11-23-2010, 09:32 AM
The only time I have a problem with the bike starting is when its cold outside but the bike has been sitting in the sun. It tricks the sensor into thinking its hotter outside than what it actually is.

nativeXb12Rbuell
11-23-2010, 11:45 AM
read all the info on Xtopi website and read the Buell tunning guide V1 & version 2 and all the info on buell tuning and ecmspy you can find , tons of info here on BuellXB.com plus these links.....

xtopi guides (http://xoptiinside.com/tuning_guide)

buellxb.com ecmspy guides v2 thread (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/General-Motorcycle-Chat/ECMSpy-Tuning-Guide-Ver.-2)

guide (http://xoptiinside.com/BuellTuningGuideEnglish.pdf)V2 ecm guide (http://www.ecmspy.com/download/BuellTuningGuide_EN_V2.0.pdf)

also stevenc150 has links in his profile that would help too.