PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Blast

phide
11-04-2010, 07:42 AM
new to the forum.
I am thinking of getting a blast I have had many bikes in the past 400s, 600s I love to ride not fast just cruze around so the 500 is enought for me and the blast prices is affordable. I have been reading that the best blasts are the 2003 and newer what i want to know is what is the differance with the older bikes and would it be easer to get the older blasts and upgrade them to the newer ones.
Love the forum Thanks

wolfo68
11-04-2010, 09:39 AM
if it's before 03 I'd be cautious, some of the parts fail rather easily, they changed the material for the newer ones, that being said it is also one of the easiest things I've ever taken apart and put back together. I have an 02 that never gets ridden anymore, but they are excellent little bikes. definitely look at the blast/thumper forums and read about the issues other people have run into, it's probably the best way to learn about it and if you do get one it helps to prepare you if one happens.

I would say that the one part to replace right off is the intake boot, the stock one is crap and you can buy a heavy duty one on ebay that don't tend to fail.

haven't kept up on the thumper stuff in a while so I may be wrong about the year, but that's what I remember from a while ago.

wolfo68
11-04-2010, 09:47 AM
also, where are you located?

phide
11-04-2010, 10:06 PM
around Charlotte NC.

LastBlast
11-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I absolutely love my Blast. It's a 2010...I saved her from being turned into a coffee table. Got her in August for not much more than I was looking to pay for a used one. I think the dealer was just looking to clear it out. We've got about 3000 miles now. :D

vanson1200r
11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
I took a spin on my co-workers B-last and what a fun little bike! Very easy to ride and had great brakes and I could do a u-turn inside of a parking spot and the seat and riding position was pretty comfy. I just rode from San Diego to Fresno and back over two days on my XB12R and wish I had the riding position of the B-last.

07xb12ScgGirl
11-08-2010, 08:06 PM
I have a 2001 Buell Blast moved up to a Lightning now but I still have my Blast. The only couple things it needed when I bought it was the carb cleaned and a new intake boot. I think the carb had to do with the person I bought it from, they didn't burn the good gas. Otherwise it's been a great bike! just turned over 10,500 miles and running like a champ. K&N air filter and Vance and Hines exhaust are the only mods.