PDA

View Full Version : LED turn signals on 2002 m2 Cyclone. need help!

sandman_44
11-08-2010, 01:44 PM
I just installed front and rear LED turn signals on my m2 and at first they didn't work. after doing some digging, i found out i needed a new flasher and went to auto zone to get an EP-36. plugged it in and the right side of my bike's signals work perfectly but the left side still don't work at all. is there anything else i could be missing?HELP.

blue eagle
11-13-2010, 02:36 PM
If your old relay was working with normal lamps, use it again by modifying it slightly. Take your old relay, open it, solder the shunt resistor out. Get a 6 amp diode (the biggest diode that doesn't require extra cooling) and a 150 ohm resistor(0.5W) from a electronics store. Solder parallel into the place were the shunt resistor was. Check with an universal voltage meter in what direction the diode needs to be in(conducting from the connector into the circuit). The Shunt resistor is the black finned resistor. This resistor is used to generate a small voltage drop (if the relay is loaded with a total of 20W bulbs). This voltage drop is sensed by the small IC. If the voltage drop is too low (broken bulb) the relay starts to flash rapidly. With this modification the relay will flash normal regardless of the electrical load.
Good luck with soldering (or ask a friend)

williegoat
11-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Just a thought, and I am sure you probably checked this, but do you have the polarity right? Unlike conventional bulbs, LEDs can only go in one way. They will not work if the wires are reversed.

blue eagle
11-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Yes the polarity needs to be checked also at the bulbs. On my Buell X1 everything was correct, so all the LED turn-signals units worked right away. First check with a digital Voltmeter to prevent damaging the LED (bulbs). LED's are sensitive for over-voltage and reverse voltage (it is a lot less than ordinary diodes!).
I assumed that this already was tested, because I also encountered problems with a replacement turn signal relay (especially for LED's). Went back to the original relay and modified it as described.

sandman_44
11-24-2010, 06:17 AM
i will give modifying the original relay a shot. thanks.

Baal
11-24-2010, 11:02 AM
Another option is that the relay is FUBAR. It took two for me to get one that worked.

ZUERST
02-19-2011, 09:54 PM
If you haven't solved the issue w/ the lights yet... another option that could be easier would be to purchase a proper load equalizer to manage the flash rate. Could possibly be an easier fix. Make sure if you go to local dealer for the item that you talk to a parts clerk that is familiar w/ such things. I used to work @ a h-d dealer and was the one w/ the electrical knowledge