PDA

View Full Version : Buell exhaust...

HagJ74
02-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey guys, I'm a very new Buell owner. Actually very new bike owner. I recently purchased the 2007 XB12R. Its definitely one of the best looking bikes out here. And as one of you already said, the Ducati Monster is a close seconds. But I bought the Buell cause of styling (cant go wrong with a red and black color scheme), its very different than the typical cookie cutter crotch rockets, don't like to get lost in the crowd. And love the fact it has a V-twin. Another, dare I say, main reason I bought it, is because of the sound. A while back I was cruising down the freeway after a long night of work, fading more and more with every mile. When I was suddenly taken from my cat nap, by the very loud sound of what i thought was a Harley. heard it way before i say it. sure enough it was a buell. So f'ing awesome. Anyway, here is my question. Among other things, what are some of the need to get aftermarket parts to make the bike that much better. My main concern is making her as loud as possible. You know, the typical Harley sound. I was it as about as loud and obnoxious as i can get her. but retain the factory warranty. I know its a new bike and sure they haven't come out with too mcuh stuff yet. but isn't the 2007 essentially a 2006 with a different accent color? Need all the help i can get guys, thanks

buellxb
02-16-2007, 02:35 PM
I would go with a drummer muffler for the sound. It won't require you to get any other mods and you'll get the sound you want with a slight boost in power. There's some other Buell parts that are nice like frame pucks and carbon fiber accents. You can find a lot of parts in our parts shop Buell Parts Shop (http://www.buellxb.com/shop)
Everyone likes something a little different and I'm sure plenty of members will give you their two cents. You should post some pics whenever you get a chance. You can email them to me and I'll post them if you don't have an image host.
Good luck and have fun with the new Buell! [up]

BuellPartsGuy
02-16-2007, 04:25 PM
The is a lot of different exhuasts with sound bites and dyno charts at www.americansportbike.com

Best overview I have seen yet.

And yes an 2006 is the same as yours, everything but the colors and tires.

HagJ74
02-16-2007, 05:43 PM
Just to make sure, if i do the install myself, will i void the warranty. also you said i can just install the pipe and thats all. what else should/can i do. upgrade air filter and ecm. if so, which ones should i get and should i install or go to buell to install.

BuellPartsGuy
02-16-2007, 06:12 PM
It will not void your warranty. if you do it properly. if you put certain pipes on, you will not need to put on an ECM or a Techlusion TFI box. I would recommend it no matter what. Just for the fact of safety for you engine. The only one I am sure you wont need a ecm for is some of the drummer pipes. I would do a K&N filter, ECM of some sort, and a pipe for the best gains. The set up that puts out the best numbers is a K&N with an airbox delete, Techlusion TFI box, and a full Mciron exhaust set up. The only downside is the Micron has a pretty extensive install due to the fact that you ahve to tip the engine down to get to the rear cylinder.

HagJ74
02-16-2007, 06:56 PM
yeah i dont think i wanna get that extensive. what do you think about the drummer ss with the k&n and the ecm they have on this site. seems pretty easy to do. do you think i will get a good sound with some horsepower gains and still retain my warranty. first ive heard of the techlusion tfi box. I just want something that will make my bike sound like a harley (loud and mean) maybe good horsepower increase and i can do it myself with relative ease.

BuellPartsGuy
02-16-2007, 07:11 PM
Talk to kevin and see what the best set up would be with his Drummer pipes. He has the most inexpensive pipes, they sound great, and look and fit great. He would let you know the best set up with pipes.

07xb12rblack
02-21-2007, 05:15 PM
I have the same bike and I'm looking for the same thing for my exhaust sound. Let me know what you think and which pipe you go with. I also have an 07 xb9r (wife's wheels) that I need exhaust for. Should I go with the same for both? My local H.D. dealer suggested a D$D...

bradbolt
02-22-2007, 01:35 PM
hag...i have the "econodrummer" and my bike is now louder than a lot of Harleys are.

check out the Drummer thread that is started on this forum...a lot of input from Kevin himself.

AZBuellGuy
04-28-2007, 04:39 AM
I didn't like the stock sound either. I have a 2007 Firebolt, only mine is yellow. I bought a Jardine slip-on and left the lower fairing off. I'm very pleased with the sound. Also put a K&N filter on for good measure.

mrdozer2you
04-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Yeah Kevin rocks!! I really wanted a Drummer SS but they're still pretty pricey. Maybe as he sells more of them and gets some big suppliers to pick em up the price will come down. [up]

tommyboy
10-25-2007, 12:41 AM
ok so i just bought a new xb12r and im going to get exhaust i took the faring off and i see that the old exhaust is what the plastics mount to, when i look at the jardine can i dont see the mounts, does it have to be fabricated?

mrdozer2you
10-25-2007, 12:38 PM
No. the mounts come with the pipe [up] I left mine off because I just thaought it looked better:D:D:D

Goin with the less is more thing[cool]

BuellPastor
10-25-2007, 01:18 PM
Kevin at Drummer does rock. He will talk to you at about anytime. I called him in the middle of my install and he was great.

needlegunner
11-08-2007, 07:01 AM
I just bought a 2008 Firebolt and I want to give it the hotrod harley sound. Can I get away with just installing a jardine and K&N Filter but no Race ECM??

mrdozer2you
11-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Can I get away with just installing a jardine and K&N Filter but no Race ECM??

The can by itself yes, no ecm required. The K&N filter and the can together will work on a stock ecm but may cause some lean issues, better safe than sorry and do the ecm as well or re-map your stock ecm.

whitefirebolt9r
11-11-2007, 03:49 AM
do u have to repack all jardine exhausts, if so how often do u do it

tommyboy
12-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Can I get away with just installing a jardine and K&N Filter but no Race ECM??

I installed the jardine can and took the cable off, kept the servo plugged in and installed the race air filter, but no rece ecm, now it wont even idle and it sounds like a ping coming from the right side of the bike can someone give me some pointers on what went wrong or what to do to fix it. thanks

BuellPartsGuy
12-01-2007, 03:45 PM
Take it in and have the TPS reset and while youre there pic up a Race ECM... :p

cruzin2
02-07-2008, 01:35 AM
Another newby trying to understand all of the comments about a jardine exhaust. If I understand the buell xb12r efi system, this is an open loop system without the ability to adjust to different back pressures in a new exhaust. (compared to a "map" efi system in cars) Ok, now that I got that out of the way, does the race ECM have a more rich mixture mapping to account for a more free-flow exhaust?

BuellPartsGuy
02-07-2008, 02:06 AM
If you put any new pipe on a Buell, you will need some sort of modification to the fuel mapping. Whether it be a race ECM, a Dobeck Techlusion, etc. The stock fuel mapping isnt programmed to support anything like that and cannot compensate enough.