PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new clutch

BKKBuell
11-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Preconditions: XB9SX, Jardin, K&N, ECM remapped to smooth power&torque, hydraulic clutch, tranny oil Mobile 1 20W-50

Problem: between 4200 and 4500, full throttle, the clutch slips, the rpm reaches suddenly 5500 to 6000, no significant acceleration then the clutch comes back the rpm reduced and the speed picks up.

I have no such thing at low rpm or when slowing down with the motorbrake at high rpm.

My clutch adjustment is done with the objective to reduce the impact during low gear shifting and to get the neutral gear easy...

Q: assuming this is not normal what can I do? Or do I need a new clutch?

thx

chrispudd
11-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Try adjusting the clutch again. but shoot for some free play at the lever like the manual says. when I first put my bike together, i adjusted the clutch and after my first ride it did exactly what you're describing. Adjusted it again, and all is well.
There is more mechanical advantage in the lower gears, so it's less likely to slip. But in higher gears, like 4&5 there's more load and less advantage so it'll slip. Hope this helps and cures the slipping, I know it's unnerving.