PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust-Aircraft Style!!! read please

msheltra
11-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Hi just checking interest. I work for a well known aircraft exhaust company and am going to design, because I can lol, a race muffler for the xb12x. If I can, I'll have dyno specs to publish. I'm planning on a high to low speed expansion
chamber for scavenging , lower pitch and to leave a way structurally for strength but with an internal heat shield to lower radiant heat soak on the
engine case and rider. I'll make it of aircraft exhaust grade stainless steel. My first design looks at twin outlets right now but dyno will dictate twin or
single. Idols a low pitch mellow sound without the sharp "brapp" bite of typical race exhaust and think if we do it right we can leave that wasted sound energy
in the combustion chamber.

I'll look to try to use a shape similar to Buells design with all mount points the same.

I was 20 minutes from just getting a drummer but after seeing what it looks like kdfab did inside from another buell Aussie who opened his, I was peed off. Just gutted and cheap fiberglass put in?!?!

Would anybody have interest? I don't know if the XB12X muffler fits many bikes but we can't make too many versions so the goal is to fit a 08 XB12X. Im assuming it fits a number of Buells?

Marc
msheltra@yahoo.com for replies please

dkaar
11-12-2010, 09:21 AM
Sent email for future details

Alfatango1
11-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Good idea, hope you come up with a winner and I'd be interested.

delta one
11-12-2010, 09:51 AM
depending on if I can afford it I would be in, my D&D is just way too loud for me.

if you can keep the power output up with a nice exhaust tone and reasonable volume I'll find a way to buy one.

xtremelow
11-12-2010, 10:11 AM
Email sent

upthemaiden
11-12-2010, 10:31 AM
Yeah as long as you keep it in a competative price range with the other options out there you shouldn't have a problem getting interest. When I got my Hawk made over summer he said he's made 700, so there's definitely some interest. It would be nice to get a nice pipe that isn't going to set off my neighbors car alarms as I'm trying to sneak out of the neighborhood at 1500-2000 rpm...

dave_xb12r
11-12-2010, 10:45 AM
I was 20 minutes from just getting a drummer but after seeing what it looks like kdfab did inside from another buell Aussie who opened his, I was peed off. Just gutted and cheap fiberglass put in?!?!

From what I've heard, that was an early model. They use a different method now.

Black Knight
11-12-2010, 10:50 AM
If you build it they will come......

flaya564
11-12-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm all about a new exhaust but it needs to be reasonably priced. I'd also like to see a more original design if possible. something like this :D
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3555_20101112045350_L.jpg

Black Knight
11-12-2010, 11:11 AM
I guess I look at it like this. We're all looking for something that provides a boost in performance, sounds nice, and aesthetically works. However, if the price point isn't there, all of the above is meaningless.

Flaya, I like the look of that!

dan_nj
11-12-2010, 03:42 PM
I would be interested I'm about tired of my jardine

11-12-2010, 05:38 PM
i have no idea what this thread is about, but if it doesn't rattle my helmet like my jardine does i'm interested

triple7
11-12-2010, 10:14 PM
That CR is one AWESOME looking design. I wish my bike looked like that!!

Stevenc150
11-12-2010, 10:23 PM
I was 20 minutes from just getting a drummer but after seeing what it looks like kdfab did inside from another buell Aussie who opened his, I was peed off. Just gutted and cheap fiberglass put in?!?! I guess this is the thread you're talking about: Inside a Drummer (http://ausbuells.informe.com/forum/buell-tech-f4/modified-standard-mufflers-t92-75.html) I'm curious as to what upgrades have been made since then.

triple7
11-12-2010, 11:46 PM
Are you kidding me?!! Is that what is really inside the Drummer? NO Way. I thought hard about getting one, but if this is true I need to rethink.

xtremelow
11-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Let me post the interesting part of the thread. To each their own but I agree, on the over priced aspect for what you get or lack there of. $425 to cut up the stocker or $675 for the Stainless Steel model then another $75 just for a dang chin fairing bracket, then hold on but the 1125 Drummer is $1015!!!

Smoke and mirrors on this one if you ask me......To charge this kind of cash for a stock exhaust, What a racket!!!!

Basicly is a hollowed out can with a linning of fiber and then the perf. tube assembly....

Hope it can help ya some in your quest for POWER!!!!

Assmbly of the drummer exhaust........
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/whitedieseltrain/m_100_3242.jpg

Looking inside the drummer...........
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/whitedieseltrain/m_100_3241-1.jpg

xxspudxx
11-13-2010, 08:56 AM
What does the inside of a hawk look like?

xtremelow
11-13-2010, 09:04 AM
It is Top Secret:p,

Even if it were the same Randy charges $195 which is way closer to be a reasonable amount knowing their is labor no matter what the insides look like.

Who has a Hawk they want to cut up real quick[smirk]

freak2180
11-13-2010, 10:41 AM
The above pics of the Drummer are as true as it gets....... I just rebuilt my Drummer SS due to blown out packing and its hard to swallow but the SS looks almost the same. The only diff is the original has small stops welded in to keep the backing plate from going too far in where the SS dosent.....other than that its the same design inside.

lighting
11-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Get a elboy from a discarded Jardine and you can use just about any aftermarket can out there. I've a Yoshimura can that originally came from a Hayabusa that was wrecked, I had to cut a few inches of the end but the sound is awsome and already put about 10k miles without a issue.

freak2180
11-20-2010, 07:04 AM
I've a Yoshimura can that originally came from a Hayabusa that was wrecked

Pics please.

Black Knight
11-20-2010, 04:15 PM
I'm waiting to see if someone has already or will cut up their Hawk.....

Banzai
11-20-2010, 06:05 PM
I need to subscribe to this thread for updates.

brightbuell
11-20-2010, 07:30 PM
What were you exspecting inside your drummer? Gold inlay! A small mexican? I think they cut out the restrictive ****, added some packing to give what resistaince was needed and sealed it back up all nice and perdy! I have a VooDoo, but im just asking what it is you were wanting inside your pipe?

xtremelow
11-20-2010, 08:37 PM
I don't think it is so much whats not there, as we all know there is performance in the design, but rather the $425 to get there. It is pretty steep for some end caps and packing, but to each their own.

I know my clean but cut up race pipe sold for $400 and I personally wouldn't pay that much for even a mint race pipe.

Black Knight
11-22-2010, 11:51 AM
bright - I don't know about anyone else expects, but as xtreme alluded too, knowing that's all it is would make me feel like I got ripped off. For $425 I don't need any gold or mexicans, but it would be nice to have some pixie dust or magic.

I'm assuming no one has ever opened up a Hawk. I'd be interested to see what Randy does.

albert666
11-29-2010, 01:20 PM
have a look on here
http://www.aph-performance-engineering.com/
theres a reverso on the way too:)

brightbuell
11-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Why would anyone want to silence their Buell. if my neighbor didn't understand my dream and love for my Buell, i would either kill them or move, but i would never silence my Buell. NEVER!!!! Not even out of so called respect. If they don't respect me enough to let me have my drummer/Voodoo/Hawk/what ever. Then i don't respect them enough to tone it down. I'm not saying i'm going to rev it at midnight, but i'm not going to silence it. NEVER! Just something i felt needed to be pointed out.

delta one
11-29-2010, 07:28 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^

because I worked on jets and my hearing is already screwed up, and after an hour ride I have trouble hearing. after buell homecoming everything sounded dull for over a day, and the ringing made it hard to sleep.

and that's with ear plugs....

straightpipeit
12-29-2010, 03:57 PM
I went a different route. I can't have anything loud enough! I could never find a muffler for my xb12 that sounded like a bad ass, so I cut mine open like the drummers and welded a turn out into the first "straight" pipe that runs off the header. Welded rear back on, painted with high temp black, disconnected servo valve and viola! A Buell that actually sounds as tough as it looks. If you are worried about losing power, go buy a turbocharged Hayabusa with nos, and if you think it is too loud, go buy a nice BMW sport/tour.

delta one
12-29-2010, 05:22 PM
I went a different route. I can't have anything loud enough! I could never find a muffler for my xb12 that sounded like a bad ass

Q2tJ5mxuxlY

loud and bad ass

RHYNOXB9R
12-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Love the sound Delta,loud pipes saves lives.Can never have a pipe loud enough,curently have a Jardine on my 03 xb9r,not loud enough.Will be lookin to go the D&D way sonn.

thumpin1203
12-29-2010, 06:57 PM
E-MAIL sent...

delta one
12-29-2010, 07:22 PM
RHYNO
my D&D for sale (http://www.buellxb.com/Buells-for-Sale/Buell-Parts-for-Sale/XB-DD-for-sale-or-trade-for-Drummer/2/)

somebody made me an offer less than I would like to get for it, I'll still sell it for my asking price to any takers.

Dave A
12-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Dead on Black knight: Performance,sound,quality, looks and price. The rest is MEANINGLESS.

Tider69
12-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Dont start havin wet dreams about a pipe thats gonna turn your bike into a rocket.ultimatly we have a harley powered bike that has limitations without going internal.I just installed a drummer on my bike and i love the sound.i agree there is very little to the can itself but what can I do without my own fab shop.I dont think anyone else can mass produce a quality pipe much cheaper.

delta one
12-29-2010, 09:06 PM
Performance,sound,quality, looks and price. The rest is MEANINGLESS

no offense but honestly what else is left?

TomBuell
12-30-2010, 06:54 AM
Still debating about which route I should go with my XB12s. Thought about just cutting it up and going with a home made Drummer, since it's pretty easy to do and cheap.

straightpipeit
12-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Deltaone, I like the dual tips. I wish I would have spent a little more time to make mine dual, but I was too excited to get mine back on. My next vision for my muffler is is a true double pipe set up with one of each header, I think that would look killer. The only problem is I don't know where the line between "cool" and "mexican ground effects kit" is.

12-30-2010, 02:31 PM
Deltaone, I like the dual tips. I wish I would have spent a little more time to make mine dual, but I was too excited to get mine back on. My next vision for my muffler is is a true double pipe set up with one of each header, I think that would look killer. The only problem is I don't know where the line between "cool" and "mexican ground effects kit" is.
lmao

delta one
12-30-2010, 03:27 PM
The only problem is I don't know where the line between "cool" and "mexican ground effects kit" is.

you know as a Mexican myself I am trying to hold back here guys

but I cant help laughing my ass off!!!!

don't worry until you start using plastic chrome you will never be as cool as me and my family :D
LOL

konarider94
12-30-2010, 03:39 PM
2 pages and we havent heard anything from the OP? did he make something or no? looks like he hasnt been on the forum much.

delta one
12-30-2010, 03:48 PM
I am guessing that he did not have a lot of intent on checking in regularly, or he would not have left his email address for communication.

I did email him shortly after he started the tread and got no response back.

straightpipeit
02-14-2011, 01:54 PM
I am 1/4 Mexican and am glad you guys see the humor. I still think a "true" dual exhaust would look good. Now after riding for awhile I have noticed a change in the power curve, XB12ss, stock with straight pipe, good low end, mid, but then drops off top end. Strange right? I think I may have used too small of pipe. Sounds sick though.

delta one
02-14-2011, 04:56 PM
XB12ss, stock with straight pipe, good low end, mid, but then drops off top end. Strange right?

nope sounds about right to me, without back pressure you will loose power the higher the RPM goes.
the D&D and Jardine both suffer from this, and they are fairly low on back pressure.

straightpipeit
02-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Delta, do you think the bike is not getting enough fuel at high rpms? I don't know jack about mapping and programming, but any info helps.

2004xb12s
02-15-2011, 03:15 PM
delta one

would you trade the d&d for a carbon fiber jardine?
it would be a little quiter for you from what i hear but i have never actually compared them side to side