PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Mile Service

k_reed_14
04-07-2008, 05:45 PM
I just scheduled my 1000 mile service today and asked what it was going to cost me to do it if they don't change the oil (I will change my own oil). He said it would be $247 USD. This sounds outrageous to me!! He also said that if I don't have it serviced at 1000 miles by a Buell Dealer then it will void the warranty. Is this true? If anyone could chime in and tell me if that is way too much money or any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

LeFox
04-07-2008, 07:13 PM
rip off!!! [mad]

i would move to europe :o

midlifecrisis
04-07-2008, 10:45 PM
I did my 1000 mile at 2800 or so. They told me not to worry about it. can I trust them? I dunno. Don't remember how much it was though it does seem a little high and without the oil change yet. But don't move to Europe over it. No offence LeFox.:D

Five1
04-08-2008, 12:30 AM
My bike came with a free 1000mi service.

XB12Xmike
04-09-2008, 11:56 PM
My 1000 mile service was 267.00 thats including the switch to all synth oil. I am pretty sure you do need the 1k, 5k and 10k done by a dealer.

mrdozer2you
04-10-2008, 01:39 PM
I am pretty sure you do need the 1k, 5k and 10k done by a dealer.

Because?

LeFox
04-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Because?
you'll void your warranty? [smirk]

mrdozer2you
04-10-2008, 06:53 PM
Warranty?...more like guarantee.

They guarantee some idiot will overlook something
They guarantee they WILL piss me off
They guarantee they will have no sense of customer service
They guarantee that they will blame ME for the problem
They guarantee to try to weasel out of free work
They guarantee they will change my oil....then not do it
They guarantee I'll get my bike back running ( but with no gas )

So as far as warranties go....I can think of a good place for theirs[up]

LeFox
04-10-2008, 09:35 PM
see...told you to move to europe :p

no more buell frustration ;)

His_and_Her_Buells
04-10-2008, 11:12 PM
My 1000 mile service was 267.00 thats including the switch to all synth oil. I am pretty sure you do need the 1k, 5k and 10k done by a dealer.

that's about what we paid. It's worth it to me to have piece of mind that they won't be able to side step any warranty issues due to poor maintenance. It sucks but I have 5 years of warranty that I must protect. I also keep the reciepts from every oil change I do between services.

BuellPartsGuy
04-10-2008, 11:43 PM
Well guys, I will let you in on something. I will give you the top reasons why dealers get turned off on carrying/working on Buells.

1. First off, warranty work doesn't pay very well for the tech. Also, when you hardly work on them in the first place, its hard to be quick working on them.

2. Buell customers do not spend hardly a fraction of the money that H-D guys do. I know you guys think, every customer should be taken care of as such, but thats not the real world, sorry.

3. No offenese to anyone out there, but Buell customers usually ask $100 worth of questions for a $5 part, then they usually dont even buy it there. They order it from somewhere else or find a used on.

4. Buell customers are usually the most impatient of all the customers they encounter. They all want it done yesterday.

5. Buell customers are usually not very plesant to deal with also. Just like on here, the word "stealership" is thrown around a lot. You go in with an attitude, you are going to get an attitude.

6. Most dealers don't stock a lot of Buell parts, if any at all. They don't like having to order parts. They like selling whats in stock.

7. Lastly, Buell guys like to work on their own stuff. So its common to have to clean up somebody elses messed up job when somebody unqualified works on it.

This is just some of the reason I see why the resent of Buell at the dealers doesn't get better. You give the dealers reason to hate you, and they will and they will treat all of the Buell customers the same because the bad few that ruin it for everyone So don't give them any reasons. Try to relate to them and be understanding, as you want them to be towards you.

I'm done venting now..... lol

I'm sure a bunch of you will not agree with this and have lots to say about it, but this is what I see. I do this every day.

scobbie001
04-11-2008, 03:57 AM
I totally agree with BPG...it's the same for all service industries...I manage a restaurant, and if someone comes in thinking the food and/or service will be terrible, it's gonna be...and I make damn sure of it. You treat service people right, they will most likely reciprocate the good deed. The parts guys at HD/Buell dealerships are not the ones who really bother me...it's the salesmen. Before I bought the one I have now, I was looking at a 9R that was coming off the rental fleet at a somewhat local dealer. Of course, when I walked in the door, two salesmen beat each other up to greet me. After about 30 seconds of conversation, he asked me what I was interested in. When the word Buell came out of my mouth, he handed me his card and walked away telling me to have a good day. I don't really see how me spending 8 grand on a Buell is any different than me spending 8 grand on a Sportster. Luckily, I ran into the man who ran the Rider's Edge program, and he did everything he could to tell me about the Buells...I think he's probably the one who made me by the thing...even though I didn't buy the one from them...but if the salesmen would have actually helped me, I would have probably left with the one they had in stock.

On a side note, I just went to that same dealer to pick up some parts for my injured little beast (and I browsed their bikes while I was there for a bit...I was checking out the Nightsters and I noticed a salesmen sprinting towards me....but I made my way over to their Buells, and he split...I stayed over at the Buells for about twenty minutes and a salesman never even got within my sight...but that's not the point)The point is...they had an 1125R in stock, and that's the first time I've seen and felt one in person....that is one bad mofo!!!

LeFox
04-11-2008, 08:26 AM
i understand everyone :p
it would be a better place if people just did things without always wanting something in return.
but that's what you get when it's all about money money money.
some seem to forget if you don't generalise and treat everyone as you wish to be treated, everything will be better...i end up buying things at a higher price or in another country because i like the owner, salesman, tech, etc...

i also gotta correct a mistake i made in a euro/dollar/euro conversion...
seems like 247 is actually a good price, all included that is. [smirk]

mrdozer2you
04-11-2008, 12:28 PM
it would be a better place if people just did things without always wanting something in return.

I OWN my own business/store. I do deal with customers everyday. I go out of my way to help people. I get alot of "weekend warriors" and "lookie loo's" but I treat them all the same, wether they purchase from me or not. I do this for word-of-mouth advertising. I can honestly say that almost every customer that comes in my store I WILL see again. People appreciate good business, tell others, and come back [up] But then again...its MY business..my profit..and my bottom line. Maybe thats the difference between a small independent company and a large corporate one.

but that's what you get when it's all about money money money.

True..but what happenes when you have ruined your reputation? Your sales go down down down

LeFox
04-11-2008, 01:35 PM
True..but what happenes when you have ruined your reputation? Your sales go down down down
yea, but for most u.s. hd dealers it seems that buell is more of a hastle than a profit.

i know my dealer has to sell about 3.4 buells to get the same yearly income compared to 1 dyna.
why? cause looking good costs more than riding good...;)

i just treat everyone like i wish to be treated. if they make trouble or get an attitude...it's a whole new ballgame :p

Bison
07-06-2008, 02:11 AM
You want UJM service buy UJM.

Showing my whiskers but was a time when HD riders were a bastard child if not on an electoslide.

Now everyone and their sister rides an HD.

Buell makes rare, unique and beautiful machines.

Rare does not mean Walmart service.

Don't like it? Buy UJM ....please!

Otherwise quit whinning. These bikes have a personality, A soul.

Bison

dave_xb12r
07-09-2008, 03:10 AM
I just got my 1000 mile service. $214

1SexyBuell
07-09-2008, 09:35 PM
I didnt even get my 1k service only because I read a post on this site that it wasnt really necessary. I also bought a service manual which helped me tremendously and saved me $225. The dealership I bought my bike from is wonderful (owned by a sexy female biker) and the mechanics/salesman are very nice and helpful. I know I voided my warranty but I figured doing my own bike service is great experience for me and a good way to gain knowledge on how motorcycles work. was doing my own service a good decision??? maybe it wasnt but hey I feel good about it...

Bordsnbikes
07-09-2008, 09:53 PM
I just called about the 1k service, they quoted me $370 if I wanted Synthetic oil! That's nutrageous! Thieven bastards! I'll do it myself with a service manual.

dave_xb12r
07-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Nooooo. Don't void your warranty! It may cost you $370 now, but it could save you a lot more in the end. I would be soo mad at myself if I voided my warranty and later something bad happened.

Bordsnbikes
07-10-2008, 12:06 AM
I just bought the bike with 1500 miles on it and it's an 06. I don't have a warranty or I would deffinately be having the pirates do it.

FIDOSOL
07-10-2008, 07:41 PM
I only had a 1 year warranty, and I didn't hit 1,000 miles until after my warranty expired...due to my NCO support channels, I mean WTF, why can't I ride my bike onto post when it's 19 degrees outside? I'm bundled up like a freakin eskimo, what's it to them? Besides, my V-Twin keeps my important bits warm anyways....lol
Oh, I ended up doing the service myself...:p

BnKnWA
10-07-2010, 08:53 PM
To k reed 14

Check out http://law.justia.com/us/cfr/title16/16-1.0.1.7.71.html for information on the 1975 MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT. See para c. below. HD or Chevy or BMW cannot say their warrany it void if they do not do the work.

(a) Section 102(c) prohibits tying arrangements that condition coverage under a written warranty on the consumer's use of an article or service identified by brand, trade, or corporate name unless that article or service is provided without charge to the consumer.

(b) Under a limited warranty that provides only for replacement of defective parts and no portion of labor charges, section 102(c) prohibits a condition that the consumer use only service (labor) identified by the warrantor to install the replacement parts. A warrantor or his designated representative may not provide parts under the warranty in a manner which impedes or precludes the choice by the consumer of the person or business to perform necessary labor to install such parts.

(c) No warrantor may condition the continued validity of a warranty on the use of only authorized repair service and/or authorized replacement parts for non-warranty service and maintenance. For example, provisions such as, “This warranty is void if service is performed by anyone other than an authorized ‘ABC’ dealer and all replacement parts must be genuine ‘ABC’ parts,” and the like, are prohibited where the service or parts are not covered by the warranty. These provisions violate the Act in two ways. First, they violate the section 102 (c) ban against tying arrangements. Second, such provisions are deceptive under section 110 of the Act, because a warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a written warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of “unauthorized” articles or service. This does not preclude a warrantor from expressly excluding liability for defects or damage caused by such “unauthorized” articles or service; nor does it preclude the warrantor from denying liability where the warrantor can demonstrate that the defect or damage was so caused.

Ronin1
10-07-2010, 09:38 PM
Changing your own oil or doing your own maintenance does NOT void your warranty. Keep track of the receipts, dates and mileage in a log or in the manual. They have to prove you were negligent in order to deny warranty coverages.

Jim

Dammit, didn't see the above ^^^^

winnetka
10-15-2010, 11:08 PM
I went ahead and paid the $330 for the 1000 mile service at my local dealership. I thought it was an important one for them to do. I didn't want to take any chances on warranty troubles later.

My local dealership is Simi Valley HD, in Simi Valley CA. They have a few mechanics who love Buells and ride Buells. The lead mechanic sold his CR because it got him too many tickets, with how quickly and easily it got up to speed. They always treat me with a good attitude. It sounds like this is not the typical experience with Buell owners and HD service departments.

SchoolHouseCycles
10-16-2010, 04:57 AM
We charge $145 using synthetic oil.

anrkizm95
10-16-2010, 05:57 AM
mine cost 59.00 and the dealer cant void your warranty if you do the 1000 mile service your self

Ebeo1
10-16-2010, 07:02 AM
I got a quote at $390 at HD another independent shop in town quoted me $250 I just bought the service manual and did the 1000 miles service myself.

bbletterin
10-16-2010, 03:49 PM
I had to pay roughly the same price with the same "it would void the warranty". It does mention something in the owners manual about this. After that, changing your own oil is acceptable.

WALLSXB
10-16-2010, 08:10 PM
I had my 1000 mile done at an outside shop and change out my own fluids on both my bikes and have never had an issue with warranty repairs. The subject hasn't even came up, YET !

akdz143
10-23-2010, 10:35 AM
I`ve always been told by the dealer that you can do your own service without voiding warranty.They said just keep your receipts for the oil.