PDA

View Full Version : Viable option long term

buellcurious
11-21-2010, 11:15 PM
Hello all,

I'm considering a XB12X or XT and have a question as to the viability of Buell as platform long term.

Not being familiar with the ins/out of the retirement of the nameplate by HD, what are the realities of parts availability long term for wear items? Brake rotors, pads, etc? What about more durable things like shocks, plastics and the like? Are all these items manufactured by third party vendors still in operation? How is the aftermarket support?

I doubt the drive train will ever be an issue as it's essentially an HD V-Twin, yes? And if you buggered a frame or swing arm, financially it'd probably be time to move on anyway.

These bikes are dead-sexy. I love the looks, sound and that they're American made. But my buddies with Stroms and GS1200s are playing "Taps" every time I bring up the Ulysses.

Looking for some un-biased (or biased) opinions. ;)

Thanks!

delta one
11-22-2010, 11:59 AM
some wear items will be hard to come by but still available

belts and plastics are not available 3rd party that I am aware of, but I would not be surprised to see one pop up for the belts
Al at American Sport Bike is a great resource

but aftermarket body pieces are available, commonly in fiberglass or other plastics but hardly ever in clear or molded in color

belts can be replaced with chains to increase your parts availability

rotors and pads are available through Erik Buell Racing as well as some other 3rd party manufacturers and I don't anticipate those going away any time soon, I can still get pads and shoes (yea it has a rear drum brake) for my 79 kawasaki

wheel bearings are a fairly common size so availability is great

bars are dirt bike bars so pick up whatever you feel comfortable with

there are a few companies that make hard bags for the uly that I would expect to continue operations

if you tweak a frame you will likely be out of luck but that is true with many bikes, the labor and parts cost involved typically gets you totaled through insurance (but not always)
the buell frames are susceptible to dents because of how far they stick out. frame pucks will help but are not an all out cure.

fortunately used parts are still available through the buell community but I cant gaurantee that in the future, though the past tells us it will continue at a rate. (tube frame buells that have not been produced in many years are still up and running thanks to other buell riders)

the V of the buell is very nice on fire roads because it is so linear and reliable, and the chassis is VERY ridged without flex making it great and predictable on less than ideal road conditions.
I have seen many pictures of these bike dragging foot pegs on racetracks, some with hard bags still on them

the engine is ESSENTIALLY a HD product but has been revamped for pleasure, the engine started around 50-60hp at the crank. as sold in the uly it is around 101hp at the crank.
absolute screamer? no
still fun? heck yea
and plenty for an adventure bike

so there is my biased opinion :D

xtremelow
11-22-2010, 01:18 PM
http://themoderatevoice.com/wordpress-engine/files/2008-december/i_m_with_stupid_jpg.jpg

:D