PDA

View Full Version : Open Air Box

strawberrys
11-23-2010, 11:29 PM
All,
How does the open Air box work in the rain? Hard core rain not just light.
Thanks
straw

stang65pony
11-24-2010, 04:49 AM
since opening mine up i havent rode in the rain. and i block the vent off (09') when im washing it. i think im going to make a shield over the winter to keep direct contact from the air filter. it gets enough ait in there anyways

Miami78
11-24-2010, 06:38 AM
Works fine in the rain. Look inside the filter and you'll see the intake is near the top of the filter...would take a flood to get over it.

thunderstormgrowl
11-24-2010, 07:54 AM
Does it saturate the filter quickly to the point where the engine is sucking in water? I realize that the snorkel thingy is up high.

Miami78
11-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Any water caught in the filter is going to drain from the bottom, no where near enough to be sucked into the intake.

strawberrys
11-24-2010, 10:58 AM
All,
KK ty for the insight. I still have my Air box but was thinking of getting a kit to delete it.
For the time being I drilled a few small holse in the air box where the screen for the air inlet by the gas cap.
That seems to help quite a bit without increasing the noise.
Thanks
Straw

Miami78
11-24-2010, 11:04 AM
No need to get a kit, just cut the top out of the airbox and use that. You'll need to drill two holes in it and pick up the hardware to secure it through the filter, but that's pretty cheap. Plus that'll let you keep the nipple on the inside of the airbox right over the intake) that helps with airflow.

jimijeans
01-02-2011, 04:10 AM
A few holes about one inch in a pattern close to the back area of inner air box will give plenty of air. As long as you don't change the outer airbox cover i have seen a lot of cool ways to fix the need for more air, still needs to be functionable for all types of weather. Carefull w/ holes in the front, is filter K&N or paper element? Too much air will make these bikes run too lean for street use. The Velocity Stack is tall so noise is sometimes an issue. If worried about rain ect. Drill a 3/16 hole in the back bottom area its slanted, so good luck w/ those mods.