PDA

View Full Version : Muffler

strawberrys
11-27-2010, 11:27 PM
All,
Vote please, Jardine RT1 or Buell Race muffler.
Thanks
Straw

xtremelow
11-27-2010, 11:51 PM
+1 to the Jardine

But the Vote goes to Personal preference [smirk]

Nice Race pipe is hard to find and if you get one in good shape you are going to pay top dollar ($400+++).

You can usually find a used mint Jardine for $150.

IMO I would vote to the Jardine, actually sold two race pipes thus far and bought two Jardines

dave_xb12r
11-28-2010, 01:15 AM
Facts:

Black bears are the best kind of bear. Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.

Jardine are 80% sound, 20% performance

Race pipes are 20% sound, 80% performance

Johny Kidd
11-28-2010, 04:06 AM
My opinion: Definitely race pipe.

bobaganoosh
11-28-2010, 07:49 AM
I loved my jardine when i had it, the carbon fiber didnt hold up and it cracked so now im running a magnaflow muffler and i like that even more

BuellerPilot
11-28-2010, 07:50 AM
Jardine are 80% sound, 20% performance

Race pipes are 20% sound, 80% performance

NOT A FACT AT ALL.

You've got that Bass Ackwords. Have you seen the dyno plots for both systems? The Buell Race muffler has a GIGANTIC HOLE right in the middle of the power band. The only place the race muffler makes more power then a Jardine is idle to 3k. The Jardine kicks it's butt from 3k till redline. Go to amricansportbike.com and download the mufler shoot out.

~Mike.......

theoctopus
11-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Yeah Dave! You idiot!

Baal
11-28-2010, 10:18 AM
GB.

WALLSXB
11-28-2010, 11:12 AM
If you go Jardine, be prepaired to go deaf !!! HUH ? Couldn't hear ya !!![up]

bobaganoosh
11-28-2010, 12:19 PM
its loud but it aint that bad

strawberrys
11-28-2010, 01:44 PM
All,
There is no way the jardine is louder than Xtremelow, old pipe. OMG this thing is so loud I have all my friends with straight pipes on HD looking at me. Then they ask WTF is on that thing man.

If you like Loud I mean my neightbors with HD 7th house down from me walks to the end of his driveway to look at my house when I start it!
Its just to loud for me TBH. Will end back up on Ebay unless I can find a Jardine RT1 to trade.
My wife did good getting it for me, but the supprise was to be found still.
Straw

strawberrys
11-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Tbh,
X I need you to weigh in again on this one since I know you have Heard both side by side.
Jardine or your old louder?
Thanks
Straw

xtremelow
11-28-2010, 02:42 PM
@strawberry- my old Cut up race pipe is much louder than the Jardine but has a higher pitch to the sound versus the Jardine.

Otherwise the Jardine is a bit louder than the regular Race Pipe, but it has a deeper tone. Which is what I like and why I am going that route.

According to the ASB shootout----
As far as the lag in power they both have a little lag the Race pipe hits it's lag at 4k and is about twice the lag the Jardine has about 5k. So neither is perfect. Another thing to note is the fueling, both have issues on the test so neither are perfect but neither is better than the other either.

XB9 pipes----

Race pipe: 13lbs, 120dB, 70.76ft-lbs-5600rpm, 89.35RWHP- 7200rpm

Jardine pipe: 9.25lbs, 123dB, 70.68ft-lbs-5800rpm, 90.98RWHP- 7400rpm

XB12 pipes--- weights and sound about the same.

Race pipe: 90.86ft-lbs- 5300rpm, 103.27RWHP- 6500rpm

Jardine pipe: 85.24ft-lbs- 4400rpm, 101.36RWHP- 6800rpm

So as far as performance to sound you get a little more performance with the Race Pipe, an a little more sound with the Jardine more of a 55/45 split, IMO not 80/20.

strawberrys
11-28-2010, 04:26 PM
X,
Thank you sir.
Straw

strawberrys
12-07-2010, 11:54 AM
All,
Ok I have tryed a few different things, and I'm not having luck.
So is there anyone out there that has a Jardine RT1 for a xb12x 09?
If its used its ok I would like to buy it. Is there someone that can get deals, I would rather pay someone from here what they want and they get thier own deal :)>. I see how much im going to pay on ebay and have called the store.

Ahh hell at this point who has one that I can use lol just to try it out and see it works for me.
Lets talk, State side only please.
I have a email to Hawk and hope I can get what I need, This will be 3 mufflers for my bike. I'm soon to have extra lol.
Thanks
Straw

twobuells
12-07-2010, 08:41 PM
Motosport.com has Jardines on sale $284.99.

strawberrys
12-07-2010, 10:05 PM
Thanks.
Straw

andymnelson
12-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Not sure if you understand decibel ratings or not, but the race pipe being 120db and the Jardine 123db....means that the Jardine is twice the volume. That's how that scale works- every 3db is double the volume.

As far as opinions ho...they are like a**holes, everyone has one. Since I have one (a**hole and opinion!), I think the Jardine sounds cheap, like the Harleys with crappy open pipes and like all the home hack job muffler hacks. I just don't like the sound. The P&A Race Pipe has a great sound to it, a great look to it, and I am satisfied with the performance.

fwkapaun
12-09-2010, 12:42 PM
My vote goes for the Hawk! Randy is the man and for the money, you can't beat it.

slamdunc
01-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Jardine RT-1

bentlife
01-09-2011, 07:49 PM
i would go hawk are a race pipe i hate the way jardines sound and look. i had one on my bike hated switched to a drummer because i needed something different fast and for a reasonable price and that's all i could find i like it better but i would much rather have a hawk are a race muffler.

nativeXb12Rbuell
01-09-2011, 09:15 PM
never had the jardine but they sound good on youtube ,

personally i love the sound ,& perfomance & LOOK of the

Jackpot

pipe !

BuellerPilot
01-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Haha!

jimijeans
01-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Strawberry, if your trying to lower the sound see if A decible killer is an option the part is easy to install and you can start w/ a piece of alum.,& drill the holes a little at a time. Or you could just extend the tail piece kinda Like a GP that would give you some noise behind you instead of in your helment.Check the Shops in your area for a piece of round stock Aluminum solid & about 1 1/2in., thick .Always drill the center first, at least 1in.hole & go from there around the outside w/ 3/8 depends on what you want 5 holes around the outside of the center hole might work. It w/ take a few tries .Plus your midrange w/ be peppier for around town. The easy thing w/be to let a muffler shop make a shortend slip over for the tailpipe, then drill & see how that works.Then make one out of better material once you find the sound you like ,copy it.Make sure you have a couple of spot welds on the inside so in case you use a round insert it won't go in more than 2in.& fall in the mufflerI have one for my stainless drummer for long trips. Jimi

NewfieBoy
01-15-2011, 10:28 PM
Jardine Pipes are trash. We shouldnt put anything with rivits anywhere near an XB. Jardine pipes shake apart and blow out the packing very quickly. Had one for 8 months and rerivited/repacked it once a month. Garbage. Not for riding hard despite the numbers it may put out.

xtremelow
01-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Fiance has a CF one with 2 seasons on it, I know she isn't to hard on it but I know I beat on it. Got it used too, but have yet to need to repack it and or even have it loosen up. Looks mint yet [smirk]

I also have a CF one sitting in the spare bedroom to hold me over until I have a Hawk Pipe made up, it will be up for sale possibly before I even get a chance to install it, just want to rep a great pipe made by a great guy.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/520_20110106164516_L.jpg

Jobe Zeebuh
01-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Race pipe all the way. If you have enuff cash. Like Dave said....performance.

frostedflakejake
01-18-2011, 12:42 PM
Not sure if you understand decibel ratings or not, but the race pipe being 120db and the Jardine 123db....means that the Jardine is twice the volume. That's how that scale works- every 3db is double the volume.

That's actually not how the scale works. A 3 db difference isn't all that audible, its noticable, but if you're not paying attention you can miss the difference. Its a logarithmic scale so ever 10db = twice as loud. Us who SPL compete get anal about our db's =]

ervin067
01-18-2011, 12:48 PM
I'll be the nerd... 10 db is 10 time the volume. 3 db is twice the volume.

frostedflakejake
01-19-2011, 07:45 AM
I'll be the nerd... 10 db is 10 time the volume. 3 db is twice the volume.

can't tell if you're being serious or not... but this is wrong. Pure and simple. To acheive a 3db difference, you need twice the power. People tend to confuse this with a made of myth that 3db = twice as loud. To get twice as loud to the ear you need right around a 10db difference. At 3db all your doing is creating twice as much sound energy. Our ears don't comprehend that as twice as loud. Numerous and numerous studies have been done to determine what is "twice as loud" since there isn't really a way to measure what us humans hear as twice as loud. But after all the samples, which have been alot, most people put doubling volume right around 10db increase.

didn't mean to get so off topic, but i didn't want the OP to get off topic.

ervin067
01-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Measuring the 'Loudness' of any given pipe is only relative to the distance some one is standing from that pipe (Hense the measurement in db). If you were 10 m from the muffler, a 3 db would not be as big of a difference, as if you were 10 cm from the muffler. At that point the volume would be closer to 2 fold, though it still wouldn't be.

I have had a jardine and a stock. Those have a 9 db difference according to ASB shootout. As the rider, I can honestly say that the jardine was around 3-4 times louder. Still not close to the 10 fold that it theoretically is, but much higher than 2.

IMHO, It would take a difference of 4-5 db to have double the volume to the person riding the motorcycle. That is mostly based off persona experiences and the number from the ASB shootout.

Just my two cents.

d_adams
01-19-2011, 08:50 AM
Maybe try something different or custom made?

apsh5MD1-2E

cmtiffany
01-19-2011, 09:55 AM
I just purchased a Jardine RT1 for 275.00 from Starcycle-USA.

And you can get a quiet instert for it if you are concerned about the noise.

andymnelson
01-21-2011, 03:13 PM
Measuring the 'Loudness' of any given pipe is only relative to the distance some one is standing from that pipe (Hense the measurement in db). If you were 10 m from the muffler, a 3 db would not be as big of a difference, as if you were 10 cm from the muffler. At that point the volume would be closer to 2 fold, though it still wouldn't be.

I have had a jardine and a stock. Those have a 9 db difference according to ASB shootout. As the rider, I can honestly say that the jardine was around 3-4 times louder. Still not close to the 10 fold that it theoretically is, but much higher than 2.

IMHO, It would take a difference of 4-5 db to have double the volume to the person riding the motorcycle. That is mostly based off persona experiences and the number from the ASB shootout.

Just my two cents.

Actually on the decibel scale, every 3 db is a doubling of perceived volume.

m109r67
03-02-2011, 05:02 PM
I put the jardine slip on my 2008 ulysses and wow..I notice a big differance in power.Im very pleased.