PDA

View Full Version : clunking noise in primary cover area -clutch basket ?

kiwibuellrider
12-01-2010, 03:18 PM
Have just developed a clunking noise and screeching sound(intermittant the screech )at low speed in the primary cover area.First thought primary chain was loose but it was within specs 3/8"- 1/2".Removed primary drive and clutch assembly.I found that the basket springs were rattling around and measured each spring - 2 springs are a firm fit in the basket(no Rattle )2 springs are 1/4" shorter than the 2 that are a firm fit.2 are 1/8" shorter than the springs that are a firm fit.
I would presume that the springs would be all firm and the same length or is this not the case and the basket is normal.
Has anyone experienced a similar noise problem and what was the problem and what was the solution.
I dont want to jump to conclusions but everything else seems fine,the clutch is smooth and doesnt slip ,no metal fragments in primary chain area,gears appear to ok,bearings feel ok.
Any suggestions / advise on this issue would be much appreciated

strmvt
12-01-2010, 03:34 PM
how about the the "adjusting shoe" that adjusts the primary chain tension what shape is it in is it wore down so the chain is hitting the metal backplate?

kiwibuellrider
12-01-2010, 03:36 PM
Thanks .No shoe is in perfect condition no wear at all.