PDA

View Full Version : Ignition, Tank cap and seat lock keys

bahamasair
02-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi is there any way to open the ignition on my xb9 to re key it? The key I have with the bike only fits the ignition with a separate one for the tank cap and neither keys fit the rear seat lock and neither are original Buell keys. They look like something the locksmith made work. I have the ignition out now and have the seat lock apart so I can remove the wafers but cant figure out how to get the ignition apart to match up the wafers in both locks. Id like to make it so one key will fit everything and plan on ordering a new key from fleabay or somewhere online. Id really like to do this myself since Im in the Bahamas and the locksmiths here dont stock much in the way of bike lock parts and I dont trust others to do it if I can.
Thanks

2Evil4U
02-17-2007, 10:27 PM
I've seen full lock & key sets on Ebay off wrecked bikes. That may be the easiest bet. Someone must've cobbled it pretty good as I'd expect all the locks to be the same. Usually, you should be able to take the VIN to a dealer and they can look up what keys it should've had and order them for you. But if they're different, the best bet might be to order a full set.

BuellPartsGuy
02-17-2007, 10:34 PM
I would say order a full set up from a wrecked bike or go to you local dealer with your insurance card and order a whole new set.

BuellPartsGuy
02-17-2007, 10:39 PM
A full set from the dealer will set you back about $155 for gas cap, ignition, and seat cowl lock. Let me know if you need em.

bahamasair
02-18-2007, 12:07 AM
There are no Buell dealers here in fact there is no bike dealers here at all. To import a bike costs 100% duty on top of what you paid for the bike. They also include the cost of shipping when they work out the duty lol. Ill get back to you if I cant find a cheaper way to do it. Thanks for the offer.