PDA

View Full Version : Got a Blast! And I have questions...

MAGIC
12-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Here's the story (http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/General-Motorcycle-Chat/Bike-for-GF---what-to-choose) how I got it if you wanna waste your time on that ;)

It's 2001 stock Buell Blast @ 16800 mls came with battery tender hook up and aftermarket front turn signals. Paid $1400.

http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/3029_20101215074645_L.jpg

My questions:
1) What should I know about it?
2) It obviously has carburetor and petcock. Petcock has 3 positions: off, res, on. How do I go about it?

Stevenc150
12-16-2010, 10:41 AM
1) Can't help a lot here. Need to get you a Service manual or at least an Owner's manual so you know Maint, Specs and such.

2) OFF - No Fuel flowing
ON - Fuel flowing (Ride at this setting)
RES - stands for "Reserve" (Flip to here if you run out of gas)

Again, ride in the ON position - if you run out of gas, flip over to RES to get several more miles to hopefully a gas station.

Bossanova
12-16-2010, 10:51 AM
Again, ride in the ON position - if you run out of gas, flip over to RES to get several more miles to hopefully a gas station.
Then just remember to flip it back to the ON position after re-fueling!

Stevenc150
12-16-2010, 10:52 AM
^VERY good point^ - Always forgot on my Quad [mad]

Bossanova
12-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Been there, done that (on the HD). Dang ****ty feeling when you reach down there at that first sputter and realize you forgot.
Magic your GF is gonna love it- Bought one for my wife too. Reading your other thread- Ours won't idle while un-attended on the kickstand (it has a safety switch). Also ours has a the super boot and carb re-jetted with the airbox delete. It's prone to air leaks on the carb manifold. Other than that its been great.

myronman3
12-16-2010, 02:47 PM
bought one for my ex when she was learning to ride...it was so perfect. great beginners bike!

RT Performance
12-16-2010, 03:13 PM
look at ez blast has a bunch of how 2's but .
I learned ther hard way best to let her learn to ride it and leave it alone.
First round of tweaking made it more responsive and she was not happy.
Took mnost of it back out.
Change the oil and filter.
engine and trans.
Ride it lots :)

New rider tips.
Let her pick out her gear.(helmet gloves padded jacket good boots that have some ankle support)

Take her for a ride on it .

To a nice large open place must be paved.(highschool parking lot was my choice)

Assure her it is ok to drop it.

Let her play as long as she wants.

Hardest part of riding is starting and stopping.

Don't get mad or frustrated stay calm.

Let her choose when she is ready to take on a street.
I would also reccomend some intercoms (i bought some cheap interphones for 100 on amazon)
My gf hates being infront of me but i can't be looking back all the time.
also helps with taking off stop signs ,road hazards,getting out of my drive is a bear i pull out let her know it is clear

MAGIC
12-16-2010, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the tips RT.

What kinda gas I put in it? For XB I use 93 octane Premium - would it be the same for Blast!?

RT Performance
12-16-2010, 08:42 PM
yes 91-93 there small but high compression.
PS i think theres still a service manual under the tab at the top in a pdf.

BTW if you do your own service work.
oil and filters are the same as XB's i got a deal on a case of Mobile 1 filters.
Theres 2 hoses in the left rear peg.
one is oil drain the other is the breather tube drain.
Check the oil hot it seems to expand alot in these bikes.(dipstick is just in front of the gas cap)

stretch4201
12-17-2010, 04:46 AM
Ez blast has a yahoo group it was very helpful for me when I get to a computer I'll try to find it again

MAGIC
12-17-2010, 09:54 AM
PS i think theres still a service manual under the tab at the top in a pdf

I already checked, there are only manuals for XB.
If somebody has manual in electronic form like .pdf or whatever for 2001 Blast PM me please or if admin could put it in the manuals section