PDA

View Full Version : Problems starting Buell XB12S Lightning

Buellman
04-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Well, I finally had some time and it was really nice out but my Lightning won't start. I just had it fully serviced before I parked it for the winter. New synthetic oil, new plugs and a TPS reset. It's been sitting with a gas tank 70% full of premium for 4 or 5 months. The battery was extremely low so I trickle charged it over night. The charger said complete. The lights are bright. I went to start it and it barely made a slight sound like it wanted to turn over. Now it just clicks really loud whenever I press the start button.

This thing only has 1100 miles on it and looks great. I've babied it and it's been fully services 3 times since new. Any tips? Suggestions? [confused]

jcrane82
04-17-2008, 03:02 AM
Did you try kick starting it? Put it is gear and hold the clutch in (with the key on), then push it up to about 5 mph, then pop the clutch. I had the same problem with my old ZX7R. It turns out it was my battery. Even though it took a charge and held one, it didn't hold enough amps to turn over the engine. And I am thinking that a 1200cc v-twin needs some decent current to turn over. Could also be a dead spot on the starter. Also, did you put any stablizer in your tank before you parked it? It isn't good to leave a tank under 90% full over the winter, especially without any stable in it. Moisture can get into your tank and ruin the petrol. Usually it will start though, just will run terrible. Hope this helps.

Buellman
04-17-2008, 05:03 AM
Thanks for the tips! I'm guessing I need a new battery. Just because the lights come on, doesn't mean the battery can crank a 1200cc v-twin as you stated. I think the gas is good as the motorcycle was stored in a temperature controlled environment (70 degrees Fahrenheit) and about 70% full. I tried to put it in gear and push it, but the back tire just dragged even when I held the clutch in. I'm crossing my fingers it's the battery. :(

LeFox
04-17-2008, 09:07 AM
yep, it's the battery.
cheap investment is a charger/tester (dunno how you guys call it) you can leave on the battery for as long as you like.
it's a must if winterstorage is needed.

mrdozer2you
04-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Mine is a "Battery Tender"

typeone
04-17-2008, 12:37 PM
+1 for battery. replace it and get a Tender Jr. use it year round. i always use StaBil in the gas if its going to sit a few months. regardless of temp.

side note: f-that trying to bump start a 1203cc twin. when my battery sh*t the bed i was stranded alone on a random stretch of twisties. gave it everything i had to run that bike up and down an incline trying to bump it. wheel just dragged, even in a high gear. NEVER again. [mad]

Buellman
04-18-2008, 12:16 AM
Does anyone know the exact specs for the battery I need to buy. My bike is in a warehouse that is an hour away and I'd like to buy a battery on the way. I'm pretty sure it's 12 volt, but that's all I remember.

LeFox
04-18-2008, 09:14 AM
size: 12vdc/12ah/200cca
type: sealed, agm

original is still best, best alternative is yuasa