PDA

View Full Version : 1125r horror stories and love affairs

justice720
04-19-2008, 11:09 AM
So what do you think about your bike? Most of the reviews online are old and talk about the preproduction models. Now that they've been in production and hit the streets are the same issues present? choppy throttle jumps at obvious power/rmp levels.. shaky unpredictable feedback when leaned over at speed. foot getting hot.. seat getting hot...? I want horror stories and love affairs please.

yellobezz
05-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I don't know but I get mine later this week and I sure would like to know about the same things as you justice720[confused]

golfnutXB
05-18-2008, 09:39 PM
Just got mine, and its put a bigger smile on my face than the firebolt did [up]

rtmarsh
05-20-2008, 02:57 AM
I test rode a used one that had 750 miles on it. I could tell a noticeable differance on how the bike felt more "stable" and it was a lot smoother. But that is not really the stuff that you want to know about is it?? The guy that went on the test ride with me was about my age (21) and rode a used Yamaha R1. We were in a industral complex that really had nobody around, the perfect place to "test the power" of the bike. Right out of first gear both he and I gunned it. The 1125r had so much power that it was absolutly uncontrolable in first gear. As soon as the front tire was on the ground I clicked it in to second and opened it up... I could write all sorts of things about how powerful it was or how fast my speedo jumped, but you really need to ride one to truly understand.

justice720
06-13-2008, 06:05 PM
thanks for the interest guys.. keep 'em coming! (that's what she said)

everyother_time
06-26-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm a motorcycle lover, and I'm a Proud owner of a Firebolt XB9R and I recently test ridden an 1125R, I've test ridden all sorts of bikes from R1s to Ducatis, to put it simply there was no greater feel than knowing that buell came out with a bike that can finally beat them. I felt like a Kid on Christmas day, I turned out of the Dealer and started down the road, the first thing I noticed was the "get up and go" of the new helicon engine there was so much power, I had to back off to get the front wheel back on the ground. It is on the same par as the higher CC Jap bikes, and from what I could tell, the handling is just as good as a firebolt. I can honestly say I fell in love all over again, and the best part about it is its a buell. I look forward to seeing next years model and owning one myself.

Thaloc
07-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Iv really been thinking about keeping my 08 Firebolt for two yearsn then trading it in on a 1125 once I know all the kinks have been worked out and they tried and tested. So Keep the good news coming. When I bought my 08 XB12R they had an availible 1125 and an 08 Lightning and I chose the Arctic White Firebolt over both of them. No Regrets I love this bike.[up]

lb1096
09-20-2008, 09:39 PM
ive had mine 8 mo now and i still love it. there are a few minor bugs to work out (some strange and cant be explained) . but no major issues.

bitter rod
09-21-2008, 12:47 AM
What are the minor bugs??? Please explain for the rest of us interested in the 25R. Thanks

lb1096
09-24-2008, 01:11 AM
ive had problems with the vent on my fuel tank. if i dont leave it outside to cool down it will fill the house with gas fumes (i have an attached garage).
if i disconnect my battery it resets all odometer readings,trip,fuel mileage, which might help my resale but looks bad when i take it in for service.
my low fuel light acts up on occasion.
all are minor probs and can be over looked, im sure these will be fixed on next years model.
dont be scared of this bike. rotax builds some of the most dependable, high quality engines, built with high quality parts out there. this chassi with this engine has no chioce but to be a great bike.

Scott
09-27-2008, 06:19 PM
I bought my 1125R back in February and have about 2500 miles on (I also ride a H-D Road King). I had issues with a rough/jerky response below 3000 rpms and some stalling when taking off from a stop at a traffic light. I had the bike back in for an ECM recall that seemed to help some but I've learned to just rev it a little more when taking off. I also had the bike back in for a 5th gear galling recall but never experienced any problems with the tranny before or after the recall. The engine does put off a lot of heat, especially on real hot days 85+ degrees, but feels good on those chilly mornings. Overall the bike handles well and has a lot of power, probably more than I need! My 21 year old son rides a 2006 Suzuki GSXR 1000 and it is faster than my Buell but for most riding purposes I hang with him. You can go from 20 to 120 mph very quickly and I've had it up to 145 and it was still climbing - I just backed off. There have been some issues but overall I really like the bike. I'm partial to the V-twin as I've riden Harleys for 30 years and was happy to see what Buell did with this bike. Highway it gets about 35 mpg running 75-85 mph but drops down into the mid to upper 20's when riding hard and in the city. Service at Temecula (CA) Buell/H-D has been pretty good considering I bought the first Buell they sold.

lb1096
10-08-2008, 05:01 PM
well my last post refered to a fuel vent issue and today i recieved a recall for the fuel vent and hose routing( if you havent noticed the hose off the vent dumps right on the exhaust! what a bad idea!!!)

lb1096
10-21-2008, 09:51 PM
well got a new prob. i dont remember the specifics but a few months ago i had a rear turn signal go out. i had the l.e.d. replaced (under waranty) and yesterday i left from a stop sign, turned right, and rolled on the throttle. i never rev this bike very high( over 8000) but for some reason this day i hit the rev limiter. while the turn signal was still on. as soon as i shifted and let off the throttle i noticed the right turn signal indicator was blinking very fast. it worked fine 20 seconds earlier. rear led is out again. same one i dont remember what i was doing when it went out the first time.
so...maybe the rev limiter causes an electrical surge. anyone have any thoughts?????? im still waiting for new one to come in so i can take it in for replacement and further investigation into this issue.[confused]

dave_xb12r
10-21-2008, 11:11 PM
Holy smoke I think you figured it out! My friend bought a 1125r with 160 miles on it and it had BOTH rear LEDs out. That must mean someone redlined it in break in on his bike. Not good.

Good find though!

kajer
10-22-2008, 12:17 PM
...maybe the rev limiter causes an electrical surge. anyone have any thoughts?????? im still waiting for new one to come in so i can take it in for replacement and further investigation into this issue.

Wow! This is not good. You would think somebody at Buell would have taken care to source blinkers that would accept a wide voltage input, 6-18 volt lets say. Maybe 11 thousand RPM was never though about by harley designers?

lb1096
10-23-2008, 04:13 AM
glad i could help i guess....

Buellysses
10-23-2008, 04:56 AM
I dunno, the rev limiter=voltage spike idea doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The response of the voltage regulator (if working correctly) in limiting any spikes should be sufficient to keep the LED's from smoking.

A typical LED operates at 20-30mA but it will take a surge of over 250mA for a very short period of time. So unless the regulator is FUBAR I would think that it is just a coincidence.

Just my 2c...

lb1096
10-28-2008, 12:29 AM
hey,i appreciate any thoughts or ideas. well i put the bike in neutral, turned my right turn signal on, and reved it up till the rev limiter hit and now i have both rear leds out. so dave id say somebody has been over reving your friends bike.

kajer
10-28-2008, 01:42 AM
[down][down][down]

2008 1125R with 160 miles traded in at a (not buell) dearership... Made me wonder from the beginning...

dave_xb12r
10-28-2008, 02:46 AM
Thanks lb1096!! I'll let him know. I think you should call Buell and tell them about your find!

lastknight23
05-16-2009, 07:29 PM
Here's one, I drove 400 miles to buy my new 1125r in austin because my local hd dealer wont carry them. I trailerd her home so as to break her in correctly on the streets where i ride. On my first ride the speedo started acting erratic. It would go straight to zero while i was riding and then come back on again for no reason. I rode it like this for about two weeks until i recived a recall notification and rode her to nearist Buell dealer over 200 miles away to have the recall taken care of and to have them look at my speedo. My bike hade to stay there for 2 and a half weeks while they waited for the parts to come in. I picked her up today and the ride home was great... Almost, when i exited the expressway 200 miles from the dealership the speedo again went out. The dealer said they would take care of the problem. However my bike will have to stay there for a few weeks so they can thoroughly diegnose the problem. Anyone have any suggestions?

Stevenc150
05-17-2009, 03:54 AM
See if they'll give you a loaner while it's being fixed, especially if it's under warranty. I don't know the circumstances, but someone on here got/had a loaner 1125CR. Worst that can happen is they say No. :D

lastknight23
05-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Hell, if i could get a loner bike that would work out great. I had contemplated renting a bike from them but I didnt think they had buells to rent. I'll find out if they have any to lone. [up]

my mule 1125R
05-18-2009, 09:06 PM
bout those directionals......
i think it has nothing to do with the rev limiter. so guys with them out, put your fears aside it dosent mean the bike has been reved high or orver reved.
i think the are just bum directionals. ive been RITE there when a new 1 was instaled and it instantly dident work...BIKE WAS NOT RUNNIN!!!
DUN TA DAAA THUS NOT A SURGE ISSUE.
my buell tech said he has seen it a bunch of times... not sayin anyone is wrong couse i love my buell too just like all you other nuts!!!!lol
i have other issues but they seem to change as they update my ecm they have like 5 now.
any way my 2cnts.hope it helps
HAVE A BUELLTFUL DAY!!!!

Wishrider
05-21-2009, 03:05 PM
I got mine Saturday at the Winchester HD in VA. In and out in an hour. Everything went very smooth. I would recomend them to anyone. The bike runs well, but is very jurky under 4000 rpm. All the updates were done to the ecm before I picked it up. I still there is an issue.The brakes are great.Grab a handful asd it feels like you hit a wall. It felt a little loose on the ride home, but the rear tire only had 12 psi in it. So after a little air the handling was rock solid. The only real issue I have with it is the heat it puts out in traffic. My legs are getting fried. I hope there is a fix because it's very uncomfortable to ride in heavy traffic.I do love riding the bike.

johnmichael
05-21-2009, 10:22 PM
[up] I bought a 09 1125r a few weeks ago and I think it is an outstanding bike! As I drove it off the lot the dealer called me on my way home and said "HEY your tail light is out". So they drove a truck 1.5 hrs to my house and picked The bike up free. I have not got it over 6 grand yet but I know for sure that it does not like being below 2500 RPM. I am wondering if any one else is having the same situation? When I get it below that it sounds like it knocks almost and the sound gets worse if i give it some gas but as soon as I get over 3000 it likes to go. I assume that it is only due to the fact it is a V twin vs a i4 which is what I am used to. By they way my 1125R spanks my CBR929;) GREAT BIKE!

Wishrider
05-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Mine has less than 400 miles on it and the right rear turn signal went out already. Never been into the rev limiter so I think there just bad units.Mine complains below 2500 too. Getting used to it.

Wishrider
05-26-2009, 05:41 PM
Anybody heard any fixes for these turn signals? It a pain taking it to the dealer.

lastknight23
05-28-2009, 07:11 PM
I know that the latest reflash 05/09 really helped my lower rpm drivability. It was like a night and day difference. Unfortunately all the reflashes I have had on the bike (2) screwed up my ecm and it is back in the shop to get the ecm replaced.

my mule 1125R
05-29-2009, 03:51 PM
iv now got 2600 miles on mine and its runnin like a top the latest flash recall made the difference real smooth at just about all rpms theres aftremarket directionals i saw on ebay like 60 bucks. but if its under warrenty just bring it in.... or better yet go to your dealer and comlplain that its happening to every one. damand new ones....they should do it to make you happy. first year racing ama buells doin pretty good!!RIDE IT HARD IT LIKES IT.

Grem
06-05-2009, 11:33 PM
Pro: The bike pulls, hard. Jerky and award under 3K, it doesn't live there. 3K to 6K its a mule, like the 12 Firebolt (had one for 3yrs) but on steroids w/ a touch of i4 sound. At 6K it gets its second wind smoothly through 9/10K, my current max RPM (breaking it in - 120 miles now). Large cockpit rocks, IC finally up to par, nay above par. Shifts like a dream; both clutch and shifter are smooooooth.

Con: rear blinkers both DOA. Tech says they get bad ones for the 25R now and again. Same goes for front - my FL was glitchy, worked only when it was tapped. IC failed at 75 miles. Spedo read 0, then the check engine light came on recognizing the problem. Dealer will take 5-7 days for parts + install. Had the extended warranty so rental was covered to $750 total. Asked dealer to order the 09 IC, they said they'd see what they could do but doubt it (warranty issues) - pure BS.

eBull
06-15-2009, 01:06 PM
I bought mine in February. A 2008 1125R. Too many problems since then. The rear right lead burned out. The baterry is not charging properly. A recall to lubrify 5th gear. I am preocupied now. Did I chose the correct option. I am still trying because I like so much the power and the look.

SoCalBuellRiders
06-15-2009, 08:08 PM
I ride an '08 1125R. Flashing the ECR makes a definite improvement. That being said, this isn't a Thunderstorm engine. (I also have a '99 S1W).

The 1125R isn't a bike for puttering around town. It's not going to be happy at low revs. After the initial break-in period, keeping it at 4K RPM and higher is definitely the way to go. That's right where the real powerband starts and where all your control is.

My 1125R is much more capable than I can even begin to exploit.

Kole_DeWoody
06-15-2009, 09:43 PM
1+ you have to ride it like a Ducati not like AirCooled Buell. It is not really desined to be riden under 3k Rpms

Rmk
06-19-2009, 01:49 AM
hello all new to here but i just bought 2 2008 1125r about 4 months ago
and the only problems with the bike my grilfring rides isw the battery was not chargeing (it had no acid in the battery the bike i ride no problems yet (knock on wood) but i love the 1125r even though i tippy toe on it lol
and i have almost 2k miles

steven 1125 rust
06-30-2009, 07:16 AM
hello justice ,

I got my 1125 in september last year.
Its very noisey , not as fast as described by others on hear and im a bit disapointed.

the exhast is about to fall apart with rust , I think the bike over heats and my leathers melt on to the frame tanks , am i driving too slow or this bike a piece of crap , opinions wanted

taildraggin
07-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Put about 100 miles in the past couple days on my brother-in-law's generously lent. It's a very tough bike to describe; it's way too complex a story. The closest I can come is that it's like rough sex.

It's attractive, focused, mean, nasty, sophisticated, raw and refined. Very exciting and emotional.

ZXHOOLIGAN
07-13-2009, 11:40 PM
I picked up my '09 1125R a couple of months ago. Had to turn around and go straight back to the shop! Turned out to be a defective crankshaft part or something like that. Anyway, took a couple of weeks to diagnose and get a replacement part. Runs great ever since....as previously said, it likes to be ridden HARD!

The speed doesn't compare to my other liter bikes ('08 CBR 1000RR, '08 ZX-10R and '06 Gixxer 1000), but it's still a rush to ride. Great handling!

Tank
08-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Not a love story...not a horror story. I like a loud bike with a deep gutteral growl. My XB12R had it with the Drummer installed. Got an 1125R in SEPo8, installed a D&D: loud, but very tin-ny, Drummer $1K, factory anchor...whisper silent. So what did I do you ask? Cut open the orig, re-baffled it a bit, and added a side discharge outlet (orig eqpt blows back on the rear caliper... bad where I come from!) and you get a fair sound and noticable bump on the bottom. Created a unique look, too.http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/4693_20090827080527_L.jpg

kevgoodwin78
09-03-2009, 01:04 AM
Most of the problems that I have read here I have had with my first 08 1125 and the recall fixed most of them. The blinkers I traced back to bad blinkers. I replaced one set and then worked great. The speedomiter, that one scared me when it happend to me. It went away and a lot of the power serge problem after the recall too. So I do believe Buell is listening and are working on the problems. I do know that the 09's are better than the 08's with all problems fixed...but I would not be supprised if some more bad blinkers still get through every now and then. Have fun be safe.

ZXHOOLIGAN
09-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Well, let me see....uhhh, 2 weeks in the shop (the first 2 weeks I owned her). Then back to the shop two weeks ago for a clutch fluid leak....she's still in there. Maybe when I finally get to really ride the bike, I can enjoy it.[sad]:(

Tank
09-10-2009, 03:22 PM
You're better off to buy some nice LEDs from an aftermarket company(got mine from Custom Chrome Catalog). They are metal housings and are actually made in USA not China. Found a fender eliminator on ebay, took off all three miles of plastic, replaced w/ slick steel one from Florida (about 65.00). looks way better now.

agfish18
09-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Have had my '08 1125R for 4 months and have put 4300 miles on it... There is not a day that I look back and regret my decision of purchasing it. It rides hard and has never let me down once performance wise. The only problem I have ever had was I had to replace the rear turn signals once in the first 3 weeks that I had it, but no problems since then.

ZXHOOLIGAN
09-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Well, here's the scoop on '09 1125R clutch leaks....Buell decided it's a widespread problem with '09s only (so far). They have put together a "kit" to remedy the problem....so you with '09s keep an eye on the clutch cover.....

That is all....as you were.

Tank
10-14-2009, 08:24 PM
I live in Savannah, GA and the nearest dealer is in either Agusta GA (3 hrs) or Jacksonville FL (2 1/2 hrs), which makes it a real pain to take it in for repairs. I bought a "Tidy Tail" off of ebay and a set of 15 LED mini directionals for a ZX10 while I was on there... installed them in place of the BS factory ones. No problems with function and no irratic function. That plus it looks a whole lot better with things tucked up and away.
Tank

zeathe
10-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Thread's kinda stale -- but after reading most of the other user comments, I figure I'd add in my $0.02

I bought my '08 in late October/early November of 08. In the last (less than) twelve months, I've wracked up over 12k on the bike.

Problem 1: At date of purchase, the weekend I had the bike, I had to take it back in due to a bum clutch.... Basically, you squeeze the hand lever and there's no meat there. This sounds like the reservoir leak that many talked about. After three trips back to the dealership, they did me right after contacting Buell directly. The dealership actually tested each piece isolated and it checked out... there was something about a clearance in the assembly that was 1/64th an inch off but still in spec. The replaced everything from the handlebars down to the pressure plate... so they say at my request. I haven't had any issues since then with the clutch since then.

Problem 2: 300 miles into riding, the back incandescent tail light bulb burned out. This led to riding over 30 miles black-backed in the rainy night. Quick replacement with an LED Cluster drop-in bulb, and I never had any problems there.

Problem 3: Very lumpy riding in any gear below about 5k. Typical ECM mapping problem. Recall treatment for it fixed the problem... After that recall, both the suspension and the throttle felt much better.

Problem 4: Recall for the 5th-gear lock-up... no major problems with the bike... just a recall item.

Problem 5: Front Brake Cable rub/re-route recall. My line had some rubbing on it, but didn't make it through the plastic jacket... let alone hit the steel weave.

Problem 6: Left Rear turn signal module went TU at about 7000 miles... Had it replaced under warranty.

Problem 7: When getting the first set of replacement tires, the back bearings were shot (11.5k miles).

Problem 8: Dealership where I bought the bike has decided that Buell is horribly slow in warranty reimbursement and has decided to drop the Buell line. They will no longer perform warranty work if I remember correctly.

Problem 9: at 12k miles, the rear brake pads are completely gone (but I'm a hard rider)... the front pads are at 15-20 percent (if that)... and the front rotor has signs of leaving particles from the pads (again, I'm a hard rider).

Other anecdotes:

I've one-shot ridden the bike over 700 mile twice in one weekend (trip two states away and back) with no problems.... It's even really comfortable when you put your shins on the back pegs and lay on the bike. Quite stable at 85 laying down.

I got over 11.5k miles out of my stock tires before the rear showed cords.

The external thermostat lies and reads about 5-10 degrees hotter from 30 degrees to 45 degrees (don't ask how I know this)

The bike pushes hard on flat terrain until 164 MPH and loses all top end push in 6th.... but seems to sustain this top speed even up slight inclines -- but not large grades (again, don't ask how I know this).

The bike is designed to wrap the rider in an airstream envelope. In a full tuck without rain gear, you can stay dry as long as you go faster than 45 MPH (excluding kick-up from other vehicles).

As people have noted, the bike doesn't like running below 4k. Basically, you idle at 12-15 MPH lumpy and it smooths out at "near-idle" at 20 MPH. Not perfect for parking garages and stop-and-go traffic. The thing's designed to go. That's all there is to it.

I also ride an '06 Daytona 675. Between the two bikes, the Daytona is my tight clean scalpel and the Buell is my big club with a huge nail in it. In foul weather, the Beull is better simply because of the aerodynamics of the plastics. If I had to give up one of 'em, I'd probably get rid of the Buell first.

If you're gonna buy one -- you'll like it, but remember that you're essentially buying a Harley product... and Harley has a wonderful track record for quality -slash sarcasm-... Though I've had much less service headaches than my Harley friends who ride their lazy-boy recliners.

(edit for brake-line reroute recall... forgot it on the first pass.)

taildraggin
10-20-2009, 11:44 AM
Good clinical write up for an '08. Pretty much what the BIL experienced.

It seems to me that none of the problems are design (QC related) and that they cleaned up this stuff for '09+. But, '08s are discounted because of it and are a great deal if you get one that's sorted out. Stinks to have to go through it out of the box, though.

I'll soon ride-compare my 08 xb9sx with the his MoV(his mother of violence) again soon. (His bike made me wonder if Buell didn't have in mind a smaller rotax replacement for the XB in the future.)

- Charlie