PDA

View Full Version : Question: Bad Forks...

Builtdesign
01-08-2011, 07:13 PM
Somehow I didn't realize I had a fork issue until I intalled a superbrace. Now I have been bottoming out on things like driveway entrances that are slightly dipped for water run-off. It had bottomed out before the brace a couple time before it was installed as well. But now its very often.

I'm sure it was intalled correctly and only torqued to 10ft-lbs per instructions.

So I found that while upright if I pull the handle bars up its sits about where it should be. Then when I sit on it sinks 2-3 inches down. (I only weigh 130lbs)

So I'm lead to believe the springs are sacked out and/or the fork oil is broken down.

The question is:
Could it just be bad fork oil? It doesn't leak that I ever been aware of. But shouldn't the springs still hold up if they were good?

Its an '06 Blast with 5K on it. I bought it maybe 8 months ago. It was a Riders Edge trainer. And I live in the heat of Phoenix.

Thanks in advance!

ezblast
01-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Springs are cheap - replace oil and springs.
EZ

crxtasy169
01-10-2011, 05:47 PM
When you sit on the bike it shouldn't drop more than 1 inch. There is deffinantly a problem with the oil, oil level, or springs. Check the free length of the springs while out and oil level is critical.

Builtdesign
01-11-2011, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys! [up]

Builtdesign
01-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Anybody use Screamin Eagle fork oil in the Blast forks. Figure that might make for a more sporty feel as its a thicker viscosity?

Hammer
01-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Maybe all of the adjustments are opened up, try that first.

crxtasy169
01-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Use Amsoil shock therapy it's the best fork oil out there.

InlayUSA
01-19-2011, 01:58 PM
How do you replace the fork oil on a Buell Blast??? The Blast have no screw-on (removable) cover on the top of the fork to add fresh fork oil and because of this, I heard the forks had to be replaced (what a scam that is, new forks v. fresh oil) if they got bad (soft). How are you guy changing the fork oil on your Buell Blast? Thanks

Builtdesign
01-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Find yourself a service manual, the whole procedure is outlined there.

You can download it for cheap at tradebit.com. Here's a list of years for the blast (http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=tradbit+buell+blast+manual&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8)

Once you remove the slider tube cap there's a spring seat and a stopper ring. Then the collar, spring and everything else comes out.