PDA

View Full Version : Fuell pump Zooming for ever.. [confused]

zollie
01-13-2011, 01:18 PM
Hi There, hope someone can assist - give advise; '06 XB12x Uly used to work like this till recently:

turn ignition on => power to fuel pump = zoom sound coming from fuel pump = pump brings fuel system under pressure

fuel pumps stops => fuel system is under pressure => assuming no leaks, so pump shuts off

And now:

turn ignition on => power to fuel pump = zoom sound coming from fuel pump = pump brings fuel system under pressure

fuel pumps doesn't stop => the zoom sound just changed to little softer zoom sound but keeps going (non stop). No obvious fuel leaks and or abnormal fuel consumption, also no obvious performance issues etc - riding like normal...

Also had the EMCSpy software running (after this "problem" started) - No error codes etc.

Any ideas what could be wrong with the pump / system?

Thanks,
Zollie [confused]

Rays
01-13-2011, 01:37 PM
Very possible the control wire for the fuel pump is worn through and keeping the pump running.
I had this exact issue with my '06 Uly. The power wire can also get worn through and that is terminal because it blows the fuse.

Have a look at this link and my profile has a link to the removal process.
http://www.buellxb.com/Buell-XB-Forum/Buell-Lightning-XB12S-XB12Ss-CityX-XB12Scg/Troubleshooting/Fuel-light-issue

zollie
01-13-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks

zollie
01-13-2011, 09:49 PM
Thanks, much appreciated!

Quite interesting.

zollie
03-29-2011, 01:14 AM
Hi, problem still occuring. My local dealership say it is most prob fuel reg. and that I need to replace pump. Way to expensive.

Problem can be listened to here, sorry for quality:

Sound clip of Faulty pump (http://www.damduiker.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/temp.wma)

Eitherway, I've got this down to dirty fuel filter, clogged fuel lines, faulty regulator..

Bike stood for a while, gave service Yesterday and now time for the Pump .. :p

Rays
03-29-2011, 03:23 AM
Zollie, I think the dealership needs to review how an XB fuel pump works.
There is no pressure sensing controlling the electrical switching of the pump.

Did they actually inspect the internal wires in the pump? If it isn't the wiring giving you a false control signal (whether it is inside or outside the pump) then the problem would looking like the ECM.

I've not seen that myself but it is possible.

If this happens all of the time then it can be isolated very quickly with a multimeter - happy to talk you through how to do that.

chrispudd
03-29-2011, 04:22 AM
Yeah. I'm sure a faulty regulator would only give you high fuel pressure or low pressure if it ruptured.
Normally there's only a 2 second prime. Then the pump comes on once you start the bike. It will then remain on while running. Almost sounds like your fuel pump relay is stuck on. Check that by swapping it with another one. Its a cheap, easy way to diagnose the relay being bad.
( A relay is just a way of using a small current to control a large current. Otherwise we'd have massive wires going to every switch on the handlebars.) And the steering column on your car would be HUGE! :)

zollie
03-30-2011, 05:09 AM
Ray - No; as parts tend to take long to reach South Africa, they (HD/Buell) dealership recommended I just replace the pump. The pump is still in the bike (as it is currently still working I didn't want to remove it as I have most possible causes investigated - and appropriate solutions found) Which Obviously I think is ridiculous as the pump is actually still working, just faulty.?.

Thanks Chrispudd, will definitely check realy. Anyone fitted an "aftermarket" pump - thinking of worst case?

Anyhow I'll be pulling the pump next week as I have a long trip this weekend, and was quite busy trying to make my new shoes fit comfortably.. Just hope the pump holds up till then!

http://www.damduiker.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/ulysses_120_150_17.jpg

anrkizm95
03-30-2011, 05:35 AM
sounds like an ecm problem if all the wiring and relay checks out.cant see it being a regulator

2004xb12s
03-30-2011, 05:45 AM
hey zollie not to thread jack but how about some more pictures of your uly decked out with that offroad gear?

zollie
03-30-2011, 11:53 PM
2004xb12s, I'll start a separate thread and upload the link here.