PDA

View Full Version : Pinging

Big Jim
04-23-2008, 06:45 AM
I am having problems with pinging. It appears that the Ethanol in SHell Premium is the worst gasoline.
Anyone have any suggestions about how to get rid of the Pinging with the XB12X?

Every dealer I have talked to has no idea that there is a problem with Ethanol or timing issues with XB12X engines.
I was using Phillips Premium gasoline and the pinging was somewhat less. But wwhen the engine is hot, I notice pinging when accelerating.

I am looking for help!

This has to be a common problem with 1203 cc engine.

I am starting to believe that the Buell XB12X Engine is a piece of junk! I have never had a motorcycle with such pinging issues and dealerships with no answers.

typeone
04-24-2008, 12:36 PM
I went through (what i thought was) hell early on with my 05 12S and ping. drove me nuts. here's my progression to rid the ping... i had completely forgotten about the issue until i saw your post. thats a good sign :D

- check static timing, sometimes they are set a little advanced from factory, mine was. very easy process outlined in the FSM

- do not lug the engine, keep the RPMs up a little from where you normally are as a test. i never felt i lugged the engine but revving a little more helped

- do not ham-fist the throttle after sitting at a light during high ambient temps, let some air get on the motor before wringing its neck again

- ride higher in the RPMs

- check for intake leaks

- experiment with other gas stations, including ones with individual pumps

- experiment with Chevron Techron to clean the system, follow the bottle directions exactly

- check your plug condition

- try running the NGK Iridium 9 series gapped to .035"

- try synthetic oil, i like Mobil 1 15W50

- begin altering your fueling with either a piggy-back unit like the TFi or learn ECMSpy if you are comfortable tweaking the ECM with a PC

- ride, ride and ride... if the ping only makes itself known for a split second while under load on a hot day try not to let it drive you mad. these are big air/oil cooled twins. its not uncommon for them to ping in some situations, but constantly pinging for long amounts of time is bad

now, all this looks like a ton of sh*t to work through and try but its really not, most are simple tweaks you can make over time and see how the bike reacts.

the more milage ive put on this bike, the better it has gotten. i really do think they settle in over time and just run smoother. with proper maintenance and attention, of course.

hope some of this helps. i feel your frustration, its a semi-common complaint from 12 owners.

LeFox
04-24-2008, 02:59 PM
i would go fot the new plugs and other fuel (without ethanol)

these i would do immediatly as it not only helps with the pinging, it's also good for other issues.

- check static timing, sometimes they are set a little advanced from factory, mine was. very easy process outlined in the FSM

- try running the NGK Iridium 9 series gapped to .035"

- try synthetic oil, (option) i like Mobil 1 15W50