PDA

View Full Version : Buell XB12 Hot Hot

Buellman
04-24-2008, 01:56 AM
Well, I replaced my battery and the XB12S started right up. Thank to all that helped me with that problem.

Next potential problem. I rode the bike for the first time this spring. I filled up the gas (91 octane) and proceeded to ride home. The total travel time was roughly 1 hour. My ass was really, really hot when I got home. The frame and lower half of the air box were nearly too hot to touch. I know these bikes get hot, but I don't remember the frame and air box cover getting so hot before. Am I just being paranoid or is there a potential problem> [confused]

LeFox
04-24-2008, 11:02 AM
could do with some details though...
- how hot was it outside?
- did the fan work?
- what oil are you using?
- when was your last oil service?
- etc.

Buellman
04-24-2008, 09:12 PM
It was around 73 degrees Fahrenheit. I had the bike fully serviced about 5 months ago just before I parked it for the winter. Fully synthetic HD oil was used. The fan did work and it was on after I shut off the bike.

LeFox
04-25-2008, 06:18 AM
does your bike have any mods?

better would be a higher grade octane fuel.

try riding again and see if it's still the same.

dans03firebolt
05-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Also if 91 is the highest you have in your area then I suggest running some octane boost to get it up. We have 93 where I am and that is all I run in the bike and it runs great. There is no doubt that these bikes get really hot for sure. My Bolt gets really hot in only 75 degree weather but that is expected from a air cooled motor that not much air gets to it.

LeFox
05-28-2008, 07:56 PM
I suggest running some octane boost to get it up
no additives, plz

if the higher octane isn't available run 91...the bike is made & tested with u.s. fuel.

check your AF ratio and let us know something.

warhorse
05-29-2008, 10:03 AM
you know they just get hot it doesnt matter how high of a ock you put in it. with the bikes running such a low compression ratio you dont want to push it. higher ock isnt going to drop that heat down enough to make it comfortable if so then i would ride down the road and get some moonshine from my uncle and run that.:D

be easy

mrdozer2you
05-29-2008, 04:20 PM
My fan hasnt been coming on "only" when i shut the bike off. It has about 3500 miles on it now..maybe 300 miles since my most recent oil change ( Royal Purple Cycle ) The fan used to come on while riding...but lately it hasnt, any ideas about that? [confused]

LeFox
05-29-2008, 05:47 PM
The fan used to come on while riding...but lately it hasnt, any ideas about that?
you need to ride, not just sit on it and make 'brm brm' noises :D:p

warhorse
05-30-2008, 08:36 AM
yeah you gotta ride it like you stole it. not abuse it but put it thru it passes or to the edge of your ability because that is the only way you are going to be able to get that fan to come on...well you could wait till it get to be about 85f or better then you might get it to come on.

be easy

mrdozer2you
05-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Its used to come on "while" riding just about every time in the past...regardless of outside temp. Nothing has changed in my riding style, even did 40 miles on the e-way averaging around 90mph. Before on that same ride I would exit the e-way and I could hear the fan like crazy over the exhaust....same ride again...no fan [confused]

warhorse
05-30-2008, 03:27 PM
hmmmm maybe you have blown the fan relay or even the fuse ahve you checked thous. you know we keep flinging crap against the wall something is going to stick[smirk]

be easy

LeFox
05-30-2008, 08:01 PM
dozer, are you past brake-in? changed oil? plus?

mrdozer2you
05-30-2008, 08:51 PM
It has about 3500 miles on it now

yes

maybe 300 miles since my most recent oil change ( Royal Purple Cycle )

yes

and the fan works when I shut the bike off....just not while its running. I can leave it running after a ride, just sitting there idling away...no fan. Kill the engine, fan comes right on.

warhorse
05-31-2008, 01:58 AM
then i am looking at the relay really hard cause one side of the relay could be burned out

be easy

LeFox
05-31-2008, 06:09 AM
don't worry...it's the oil that is doing it's job.

the oil is still cool enough so when the engine is running, your engine is still getting some cooling from the oil.
shut it down, no more oil running through = fan.

if you leave it idling long enough, your fan will start ;)

warhorse
05-31-2008, 06:35 PM
you will see

be easy

mrdozer2you
05-31-2008, 07:30 PM
if you leave it idling long enough, your fan will start

Ran it medium/hard for over an hour. Normally the fan would kick on at a stoplight. I let it idle about 5min at home after the ride...no fan. Killed the engine...fan on.

then i am looking at the relay really hard cause one side of the relay could be burned out

And I check this how? Put in a new one and see?[sad]

warhorse
05-31-2008, 07:53 PM
well i cant remember if there is another relay like it or not if there is then just use it in its place. if not then see if the buell shop will hook you up with one to see if that is it. and i know how shops get a bad rep. on this site but sometime you have to keep looking til you find the one. you know?

be easy

Somthngfrce
05-31-2008, 08:20 PM
I have a 04XB12S and run Amsoil synthetic oil.. Prior to the sythetic oil my fan ran frequently, now with the synthetic, the fan doesn't really run often. It does when I turn the bike off to help with the heat, but the oil helps! Not to discount any other advice, but maybe your bike is running a little more efficiently and producing less heat.

LeFox
06-01-2008, 01:04 PM
dozer, aslong as your fun runs when shutting the engine down, shows the it's still getting signals to go on.

i need to ride more than an hour at a lower speed (less cooling) to get my fan to work.

mrdozer2you
06-02-2008, 04:45 PM
Hmm...even lower speed with less rpm's...seems like it would cool better. Lower speeds with higher rpms = engine gets hotter. What the hell, its running fine, im not gonna worry [smirk] It just seemed like something wasnt right. I've been using synthetic since about 600 miles on the ODO. Now im at 3200ish, and changed the dam oil 3 times already [mad], once with Mobil1 v-twin and 2x with Royal Purple Syn. I think maybe its a combination of the bike breaking in and the oil doin its job.

dans03firebolt
06-02-2008, 06:44 PM
LeFox is absolutely right here. If the fan kicks on after you shut off the bike just like mine does that means the oil is keeping the motor cool enough. My bike does the same thing when I shut it off the fan kicks on and I mean as soon as I shut it off. That is ok it is doing it's job correctly there is no burnt out relay or antyhing. If the relay was burnt out the fan wouldn't come on at all.

mrdozer2you
06-03-2008, 12:16 PM
If the relay was burnt out the fan wouldn't come on at all.

Yeah figured that...but didnt know if there was a temp sensor during riding, or thought that maybe the fan just automatically comes on after riding by default.

Thaloc
06-23-2008, 12:32 PM
I have an 08 Firebolt, just picked it up month and a half ago. 1k service last week, I had blew two sparkplugs and had to take it in on one cylinder. I went out and started it this morning and came back out about 5 mins later and my pipes at the top were red hot. Couldnt believe it, idle and throttle responce seemed good. Any ideas or is this normal for 5 mins of idle time on these bikes. Thanks alot guys

LeFox
06-23-2008, 02:11 PM
it's not good to let your bike just idle like that...you can burn your valves, plugs, etc.

could be that your engine is running a bit on the lean side, but that's hard to say with the info.

;)

Thaloc
06-23-2008, 02:24 PM
When I blew the orignal plugs the service guy said that i should let it warm up a bit before running it to avoid blowing more plugs, but ya im pretty sure the bike is running lean, top of my pipes have started blueing slightly. Any advice. Appreciate everything guys.

Edit: oh btw, the service guy also said the 07, 08 firebolts blow plugs fairly often. Any have any input on that seemed a bit fishy.

LeFox
06-23-2008, 05:24 PM
a good way to let the engine warmup is:

- get gear on except for gloves & helmet.
- start the bike and let it idle, no throttle during startup or warmup
- put on helmet & gloves
- start riding with smooth, soft accelerations and no more than 3500rpm for about 10 minutes.

after that you can do what you want.

got some pics of your headers?

if your service guy says the firebolts plow plugs ofter he should go back and service those engines, cause that's not normal :o

diesel
06-24-2008, 09:25 AM
And don't forget to put your lid and gloves on while sitting on the bike.

I've heard bad tales about leaving Buell's ticking over on their sidestand...

dave_xb12r
06-24-2008, 09:50 AM
What do you mean by "bad tales"? You've heard of it walking off the sidestand? Sounds like bad tales of poor clutch adjustment to me.

LeFox
06-24-2008, 12:41 PM
What do you mean by "bad tales"? You've heard of it walking off the sidestand? Sounds like bad tales of poor clutch adjustment to me.
was mostly a tuber problem...

but on a fully loaded uly is would also recommend sitting on it. the newer sidestand is revised...:o

xb12rnoob
04-24-2009, 09:16 AM
I've read that pre-'07 bikes had a different kickstand bolt. If the bike was parked on a grade, they would fall sometimes. I back my bike up to put it on the kickstand and leave it in gear just to be a little safer. It would make since that our bikes, as much vibration as they produce, could fall while idling. Especially a pre-07...

xb12rnoob
04-24-2009, 09:18 AM
oops, sorry. Didn't realize this was such an old post. *Disregard*