PDA

View Full Version : New to Buells(and bulletbikes in general), need expert advice/opinion

snoobies
02-21-2007, 06:03 PM
I've got a deal on an '05 Buell XB12R from a buddy who works at a car dealership. He's offering it to me for just under $4300, his cost + $500. Here's the thing though, it's a salvaged title(theft recovery). It only has 2300 miles on it, but the rear tire looks like 5k. The clutch is slipping like crazy; takes a while getting up to 50mph(10sec maybe). There's sufficient freeplay at the clutch handle, so I'm not sure if it's just an adjustment thing. Would the internal adjustment perhaps fix something like this? The only other thing I noticed on the bike was light scratches on the right side, broken right front signal, and a crack in the air dam. So, it's obvious that the thieves had their fun with it. I talked to a Harley shop here and they said $300 to replace the clutch, which I'd probably have to pay for since I'm already getting a low price on the bike. I guess what I need help with is knowing what this sounds like to you guys, a lemon or something worth while? I really like the bike, and it's a killer price if it's just a bad clutch...

bahamasair
02-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Id look the bike over really well. Check the wiring etc look at the rims close and see if there are any dents. Check the belt for damage. Tires are $250 for a pair. If you like the bike its more than likely worth spending the money on fixing it. The price is pretty good and it sounds like you can just change the clutch and ride. Are you mechanical? If so you might want to do it your self. If not and you are sending it to the dealer anyway let them give her a full service so at least you know what you are starting with.

2Evil4U
02-22-2007, 01:03 AM
I'll pretty much echo the Bahamian. Only other thing I'd throw out there is make sure you understand how your state deals with transfer of salvage titles. You may not be able to register the bike without a full ludicrous inspection to clear the title to the DMV safety nazis.

bahamasair
02-22-2007, 03:09 AM
Englishman actually. I just live in the Bahamas lol :)

buellxb
02-22-2007, 03:48 AM
Are Buell's rare in the Bahamas? Could you hook me up with a job if I move to the Bahamas? Do you have a JP Morgan Chase bank or Bank One bank that my wife could transfer to? I'm sick of the snow and the cold temps here in Indiana. [sad]

snoobies
02-22-2007, 04:09 AM
Thanks so much for all of your input... it all has been very much appreciated. I guess I'll continue shopping around. I think I could sleep a lot easier at night knowing what my bike has gone through rather than having to guess.

bahamasair
02-22-2007, 11:50 AM
I wasnt saying you should pass on the bike. Id probably go for it if everything checked out.
Buellxb I have the only Firebolt in the Bahamas. I know of one other Buell which is a Blast I think. There is no JP Morgan or Bank One here lol. Only Swiss banks & English & Canadian banks. Its not that easy to move here and get a job either. To get a work permit you have to have skills no Bahamian has plus its a ****hole here on Nassau. The other islands are still nice and the people aint as ignorant as they are on this one but there isnt any real work on them xcept fishing.

buellxb
02-22-2007, 01:15 PM
I've been to Nassau. I went to a couple back alley clubs and then we went to a club called the 'Jungle' I think. It had a Zebra Hummer for a DJ boothe. It seemed pretty nice during my 12 hour drunken visit. :D

bahamasair
02-22-2007, 10:04 PM
That was the zoo lol. Someone burned it down and there is nothing there now :(

GW 04 XB12R
03-29-2010, 01:45 AM
i'd keep shopping. I got a 2004 xb12r with 3400 miles on it for $3600. the thing is mint, like brand new. jardine cf exhaust, k/n air filter, race tune... just picked it up last month. there aren't a lot that cheap, but they're around.
http://www.buellxb.com/buell_images/5941_20100328184454_L.jpg

Nuage420b
03-29-2010, 01:48 AM
I'd keep looking, you can spend that much on a working non salvaged bike.

Alfatango1
03-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Yep, run away fast! That's way too much money for a bike that has a lot of issues. There are many XB12's around that price that are in great, drivable condition. Heck brand new ones were selling for around $6000 recently. Also you'll never get comp and collision insurance on a salvage title.

theoctopus
03-29-2010, 03:12 PM
Guys, seriously?!

Look at the date on this post...February 2007!

redliner172
03-29-2010, 03:22 PM
I didn't even notice till you pointed it out hahaah.

Paniller
03-29-2010, 03:34 PM
lol. Oh, the good old days, where Buells cost $11k and a used salvage went for $4500.