PDA

View Full Version : Prymary chain help

nef
04-27-2008, 04:29 PM
I researched about how to adjust the prymary chain on my buell firebolt 2004.and of course the chain was loose and most of the oil was missing,because of lack of maintenance from the last owner.I adjusted the prymary and changed the oil,now the bad noises are gone ,but I didnt ride it because when I put the new oil in it,I hope I did the right thing.There is a round access cover and a forward small square access cover.I pour the 32 oz.in both ports think all the space is interconected.Please forgive my ignorance.Im still waiting for the service manual.Please let me know if made a mistake.

Fock347
04-27-2008, 04:36 PM
the primary case takes approxamatly 1 quart, i have an 04 xb12r also .i just filled mine in the clutch cover (the round one) till the fluid was at the bottom of the clutch diaphram. when i went to harley to get primry oil they told me it was safe and better to use synthetic haley motor oil in the primary. so far i put 1000 miles on it and no problems.

nef
04-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Thanks fock 347.I noticed that the oil made it to the botom part of the diaphram,Yes I used the recommended harley oil.but still in doubt if when I pour the oil in the forward port that oil was able to make it to the transmition.Thanks again.

Fock347
04-27-2008, 05:25 PM
the primary chain inspection hole(the tiny cover) and the clutch cover(the round one) link together , you can pour the oil in the primary chain inspection cover but then again you wont be able to see the level its at, if you need a service manual i just put up a post (free service manuals)

nef
04-27-2008, 05:32 PM
I checked the level on the cluthch area and it is fine.I really apreciate your help,be safe.[up]

nef
04-27-2008, 05:34 PM
By the way how is your bike running?

Fock347
04-27-2008, 05:38 PM
runnin great , just need to put some new plugs on it thats about it.

dans03firebolt
05-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Just so you know the Primary oil has nothing to do with the transmission. You would still need to change the tranny fluid as well. I just did my oil and primary fluid last weekend myself and changed the plugs. Oh my god did it make a huge difference. I used stock Harley double platinum plugs and they are awesome. I use BelRay oils for everything, synthetic in the motor, their primary oil and their sport tranny fluid. I would recommed them as well but any synthetic would be perfect.