PDA

View Full Version : My Bike is coughing

Tayo2001
01-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Hay guys,

This is my first msg, and unfortunately it's not a good reason..

I have a 2001 buell blast. I got it 2 months ago with 300+ miles. Right now it's about a 1,000.
In the last 2-3 days, the bike seems to have problem..
It's coughing and then shut's down. And only in the firth or fifth time it starts normal.
But on low rpm's its coughing again.. It's sounds like a bikefire over and over again... The buell does not have a visible exhaust..
Is there a place i can read about this? Do i need to go to my dealer?

Thanks..

Miami78
01-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Sounds like a fouled plug, do you have the ability to pull your plug, or can you get ahold of a service manual?

Buellysses
01-28-2011, 01:56 PM
I think Miami is on the right track. Usually misfires like that are either bad gas, water in the fuel, or a bad spark plugs.

Once you get the bike running does it seem to have as much power as normal? Do you notice any differences at higher RPMs?

Throw a small amount of fuel treatment in there (or drain the gas) and change the spark plug.

Sirius815
01-28-2011, 04:44 PM
What ^they^ said!

upthemaiden
01-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Keep in mind that bike was barely ridden and sat for a loooong time. If you haven't yet, it's definitely due for a good carb cleaning. Even if he put fuel stabilizer in the tank, that'll start to break down after a year so the carb is probably gunked up a bit. New spark plugs should definitely be on the list too!