PDA

View Full Version : Dented Sprocket Advice?

rchase
01-29-2011, 07:57 PM
I have a 2009 Blast that was involved in a bit of a collision. A friend let the bike get away from them and fell off the back of the bike causing the front wheel to hop. The exhaust hit a storm drain and catapulted the bike into the air where it landed in my neighbors soft lawn. A couple of extra scratches but no major damage.

Upon further inspection I notice the rear sprocket got dented on the storm drain. Before I noticed the dent I rode the bike and it was fine other than the plastic cover rubbing and making a slight noise.

How much of a pain is it to replace this and is it "relatively" safe to ride until the sprocket is replaced?

jimijeans
01-29-2011, 10:02 PM
Almost have to see that one. The bolts are going to be really tight. Get the back of the bike off the ground (level). Rotate the wheel fast enough to watch it rotate. If it looks good then check the rest of the area/cracks etc..Then if you decide to replace hopefully you have a Manual impact wrench/with proper bits.Sears/Harbor Freight etc..A medium hammer 26oz or so NOT a Air wrench unless you are a expert at that. Easier to control a manual one.Good Luck.

nilla
01-29-2011, 10:03 PM
i am parting out a 2003 blast if you need any parts