PDA

View Full Version : Bike won't start when below 35 degrees

bbletterin
01-30-2011, 12:32 PM
I have had a problem with my Uly not starting when very cold. It floods and fouls the plugs. I replaced the plugs last week(thanks for the You Tube coaching) and the bike ran great for the few miles I put on it then. Then last Saturday I bareley got it to start,black smoke,pops and spits,let warm up and rode about 1/4 mile decently. allowed to run 20 minutes then shut off. Came back 2 hours later, tried to start,hit 2 times and flooded. won't start and believe more plugs will be needed. Have warranty still and plan to get it to shop but wondering if anyone has had this happen. Not sure what ecm uses for temp info on cold start. Mabe bad temp sensor?

dave_xb12r
01-30-2011, 12:35 PM
I'm no expert, but I would assume you have too much "cold start enrichment" This can easily be adjusted with ECMspy

Sirius815
01-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Hm...possible for it to be a bad temp sensor. How did the bike behave when you were riding it?

Hey Dave - would the cold start enrichment also cause the revs to hang a bit?

dallasb
01-30-2011, 12:43 PM
+1 on the cold start enrichment. Is the bike kept in a heated garage? If not then I would suggest going with thinner oil in the winter.

If your revs are hanging it could be a faulty TPS reset.

Sirius815
01-30-2011, 12:51 PM
^^ I only asked, cuz I didn't ride the bike for about two weeks and on the first ride, the revs hung quite a bit. A few days later everything was good again and outside temps were about the same - I think she was just temperamental!

dallasb
01-30-2011, 12:55 PM
^^ Just make sure you warm the bike up before you ride. I usually let it idle for 30 seconds or so, depending on how cold it is outside. Our bikes are very temperamental thats for sure. Just wait until you try to start your bike in the spring. When the sun is warm but the air is cold it tricks the bike into thinking that the air is warmer than it actually is.

bbletterin
02-17-2011, 05:08 PM
I got my bike back today, they reflashed ecm with latest calibration & reset TP. Seems great so far.

wbedient
03-03-2011, 07:48 AM
A couple years ago I noticed my 06 Uly had the same problem of not starting when cold... like ZERO or below zero it wouldn't start. Runs fine in the winter and will start fine if its in the twenties. I don't ride when its that cold so I decided I don't care.

Hope that TPS reset/ECMspy tune of cold start enrichment works for ya.