PDA

View Full Version : Difference between race ecm and stock?

drsuzuki
01-31-2011, 12:15 AM
So what's the advantage? Has anyone done a dyno run with a stock one and then put the race in and checked the hp difference? Is using a ecm spy and burning a race map to your stock ecm an advantage? I don't have any running issues with my bike now but if it's a power gain I might look into it but if all it really does is smooth things out then I don't need it.

nilla
01-31-2011, 03:52 AM
defintie, dyno-able power increase. at the cost of polluting the environment a little more.

ECM spy is free, and the cable is like 10 bucks.

have you looked at any dyno charts?

d_adams
01-31-2011, 06:48 AM
Check out the exhaust shootout from www.americansportbike.com
Pretty good report overall and it shows the differences with a few pipes using the stock ECM vs a standard race ECM.
The race ECM is about $250 and the cable for ecmspy is about $40. I do know ebr won't warranty or reflash a race ECM if you alter it with ecmspy. The race ECM is definitely worth the $$.

Red93stang
01-31-2011, 07:35 AM
EXHAUST SHOOTOUT (http://www.americansportbike.com/Exhaust_Shootout.html)

[up]

d_adams
01-31-2011, 08:22 AM
I don't get why sometimes links work and other times they don't. :-(

Thx Red

Red93stang
01-31-2011, 09:11 AM
No problem! Here to help:D

drsuzuki
01-31-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the shootout link. Looks like the big difference is by adding a pipe/muffler. After doing that I can see doing the air box mod and ecm to have it all flow correct. I had a KTM smc625 and it came restricted from the factory. Had to remove the throttle stop from inside the carb. Doing that made a big difference. I was just in the dark if the Buells were restricted like that.

jimijeans
02-01-2011, 07:57 PM
Lots you can do for the Buells. Exhaust, Breather reroute,the air box depending on where you live, I didn't alter mine because it won't run to lean that way. I picked up a Showyomoto twin ramair for Hot time of the year.(beautiful BUT expensive)Bikes run towards the lean area due to the EPA standards.When its cold, I just reinstall the stock air box check w/my Laptop & ride. K&N works good for my set up.You'll figure it out. Thats the fun of these bikes. [up]:D

jimijeans
02-01-2011, 08:21 PM
BTW/ K&N,air filter-Exhaust-DrummerSS-Erik Buell Programable ECM W/software complete.EBR, suspension kit.braided brake lines W/ race pads. A wideband O2sens., helps as well. Also switch the Ecm out after Track days to an EBR,preprogramed ECM. The bike really runs sweet w/only a TPS re-set every time i fill up.08+ can reset tps w/key turn procedure. I may never be completely done due to the many areas you can persue. Thats the Fun of it all. Make it your own.:D

RedLighting
03-02-2011, 01:51 PM
I ordered a EBR ECM for my 09 XB12Ss will be here this, can't wait. Dumb question were is the ecm located on my bike. [confused]

Xb12sLt
03-02-2011, 01:57 PM
If it's an S it's under the seat, If it's an R it's under the front fairing. There are no dumb questions...just dumb answers (sometimes) :p

RedLighting
03-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Got my EBR ECM today, ran right out to the garage and put it on. Took about ten minutes, reset TPS and let it idle 10 minutes ( ebr instructions). WOW what a differance pulls like a fright train and no decel popping. Kudos to EBR :D

Jobe Zeebuh
03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Big difference

pulls like a fright train

4 sure[up] Just tuned my stock ecm. I think race e.c.m.'s are a rip off.

dallasb
03-04-2011, 08:39 AM
I think race e.c.m.'s are a rip off.

[up] completely agree Jobe. Considering that its only 50 bucks to get the cable, and there are so many DIY tuning guides floating around, I don't understand the need to spend $250 for something that will only get you "closer" to ideal fueling conditions.

Miami78
03-04-2011, 08:45 AM
its only 50 bucks to get the cable

$50? Here there for $30:
Cable (http://xoptiinside.com/buell_store).

unionthug
03-16-2011, 06:05 PM
I see the $30 cables are actually cable parts. Assembly required.

ct1200
03-17-2011, 03:43 AM
So we can actually tune the +08s?
Or is it here try this map and hopefully it works?
Cause I thought there was no way to log with the new ecms?

oneoldbuell
03-17-2011, 06:43 PM
im selling the d&d and k&n ecm reflash if anyone wants, big diffrence. better then race ecm. but anything is better then stock ecm when you change some stuff

Miami78
03-18-2011, 08:31 AM
Unionthug - look again, the prices are below the cables. The $30 option is for an assembled cable, it's $25 for a disassembled one.

rrh481
03-18-2011, 09:07 AM
I paid like 40 bucks off eBay with the latest version of ecmspy

oneoldbuell
03-31-2011, 09:59 PM
i just bought the map from american sport bike for the d&d and k&n the bike ran way better they tune it better then most anyone could.

stellio78
04-01-2011, 03:13 AM
I paid like 40 bucks off eBay with the latest version of ecmsp

Any chance you can email me that latest version of ecmspy?

I've sent you a PM with my email address if that's OK.

I've just ordered the cable from xoptiinside to support all his hard work.

Darx
05-09-2011, 10:59 PM
i just bought the map from american sport bike for the d&d and k&n the bike ran way better they tune it better then most anyone could.

Where is this located on the site? Not finding it, thanks

CityBoiX5020
10-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Is it better (performance wise) to have a EBR race ecm or a tuned stock ecm? I have a 09 city x and am on the fence about dropping this $750 for the programmable ecm from ebr, verses getting a tuning session from the otco.

expatriate00
07-14-2012, 07:41 AM
I bought My race ECM for my '03 XB9 in 2005, right after I bought my bike. There weren't so many options then. I was wondering if the factory race ECMs can be reprogrammed by EBR. I have some heavy engine mods in my future and I'm sure it would be cheaper to have them reprogram it than to buy another ECM. I'm going from a race kitted stock XB9 to a jugged XB12, by adding a lightened XB12 crank and rods and a big bore kit.
Sorry drsuzuki, not trying to hijack your thread.

On topic. I noticed BIG power gains when i added my race kit, not to mention she GROWLS at ya now. Sounds positively sick, all the ricer boys ask me what it is because its Loud and proud. Priceless!

weswwoods
08-05-2012, 12:46 PM
So did the xb12s come with software and a cable from the factory when it was bought NEW in 2004? I just bought an xb12s and the seller gave me a cable and showed me where to plug it in. He said he could not find the software, but I could just download it. if this is true where?

thanks

d_adams
08-05-2012, 01:06 PM
http://www.tunerpro.net/

You need this.

http://www.tunerpro.net/download/SetupTunerProRT_v500_8040.exe

http://www.tunerpro.net/download/plugins/BuellIOPlugin7774.zip

Get the xdf and adx files from here.

http://xoptiinside.com/

Instructions are there also, Mike's got a pretty good handle on how this stuff works. You may also need the cable driver.

http://prolificusa.com/drivers/PL2303/PL2303_Prolific_DriverInstaller_v1417.zip

Below is a quote I got in an email from Mike.

Using Tunerpro RT...

1. Download Tunerpro Rt from Tunerpro.net...

Get the plugin while there to read and write to the ECM.

2. Install Tunerpro Rt, unzip the plugin and place it in the created Tunerpro folder in your documents - plugin file...

3. Set up Tunerpro for first use...
A. Open Tunerpro and click tools (have your cable driver installed
in addition, have it plugged in.

B. Select Tools, click preferences, you get a popup box with two sides in it.
1. Data Acquisition,
a. select use plug in on the top selection
b. select Tunerpro Data Acqu I/O
c. click configure Plug-in Component (use your device manager to find the comport the cable is on.

Also, note each USB port will have a different port number, therefore, use the same port always to
link or change the port number to match each use.

2. Emulation,
A. select Emulation Plug-in Component and switch it to Buell EEprom reader/writer

B. Click The general tab, you have four selection spaces.
1. top left all boxes checked.
2. Bottom Left select: XDF, ADX, BIN
3. Top right select Diff. (edit- Compare), color table cells and Reverse Columns

C. Click Apply, Click OK

4. Click View on your Toolbar, then click tools and select, Basic, Tools, RT, Emulation, all three data Acquisition items.

5. Connect to bike and Turn on Key and run Switch.
A. If it did not auto connect, select the Grey Cable looking Item on the toolbar on the top.
B. it will beep when connected (If speakers are on)
C. You will see Initializing in the lower left of the screen and your firmware will show up.

6. Use this value to go to Xoptiinside.com to get your ADX and XDF_Lite as well as the links there to go to the
ECMspy.com site to get those versions.

7. Once downloaded all four versions. Please relocate the XDF and ADX into the documents folder
(Tunerpro folder and paste into Bin Definitions)

8. Open Tunerpro if not open select XDF on the tool bar.

A. Select XDF (either the lite or full version) and go to documents /Tunerpro/bin definitions and select
the XDF. Each time Tunerpro is open it will auto load this file from this point.
B. Select Acquisition, click load definition file and go to documents /Tunerpro/bin definitions, select
either mine with TPS, Codes and diag or ECMspys.

9.Once connected on the read/write side. you will have blue arrows up and down appear on the tool bar.

To Connect
A. up uploads to ECM and down downloads to Tunerpro RT
1. select the down arrow and it will read the ECM.
a. Click file once downloaded on the top left on the toolbar. use Save bin as and name this
file as anyname_stock.bin then do it once again saving as the ECM name you chose
my stock ECM_1.bin. adding a _1 to each new saved version will help in the future.

10. To use the live data and tps/clear codes/ diag side/
A. Click tools, then click release emulation... It will state, "Hardware not found"...

11. With your adx Loaded. now click the two blue arrows right and left facing. it will connect and the yellow box
showing connected will appear in blue.

A. To data log, select Acquisition on toolbar, scroll down and select record.
B. To stop select Acquisition on toolbar, scroll down and select stop and a popup box will appear. Name your
file for a one-time use.
C. To play it back, select Acquisition on toolbar, scroll down and select play and move through to the items you
want to see or setup... data dash, List Items, history and data monitors on the toolbar top center...
D. These are fully adjustable in edit adx under Acquisition to match your ECM and needs.

12. To return to the read write just select the two arrows to disconnect and select the grey plug.

A. To make changes open desired item click on cells and type in new value or paste it in then
click the save cd on that box in the top left. Note: this saves it to the file in Tunerpro not
in the ECM or in the documents...
B. once all changes are made and saved to the file in the program, click files the save as and
name it with your chose name and the _#...
C. now you upload the new file to the bike with the upload arrow. A popup box will appear with
the loaded firmware name. Please, make 100% it matches your actual ECM. If not you
have to revert to one that does match and start over.

Notes.

2007 down bikes use the tps reset feature.

1. Back out tps knob fully and flip throttle so it is 100% closed.
2. go to live data side with my ADX and connect. on the tool bar select the drop down and select reset TPS.
click send... done
3. Go to dash view on my adx and turn in knob until you start the bike and it idles at 1000 rpm.
a. take bike out and ride it until warm (15 to 20 minutes) then adjust tps rpm to 1000/975 rpm.
Do not worry about the degree as the manual had to use a value for EPA/ISO reasons this is now set to
the true value to match your bike.

Tps reset is throttle controlled on 2008 up...

theoctopus
08-05-2012, 01:46 PM
The above instructions are accurate for software setup. However, they are incomplete for tuning and EEPROM modification. It is not advisable that a newcomer to FI tuning or Buell FI systems attempt to adjust the EEPROM in any way without prior education on the matter. It can result in a bricked ECM and/or a damaged bike.

For individuals who are interested in learning to tune ANY FI Buell (regardless of year, model, or ECM type) and/or custom tuning services, come check out The Tuniversity (http://www.thetuniversity.com/), which is a site sponsor and is well-reviewed on this forum and others. I have a lot of experience as a teacher, and have been met with success working with both beginner and advanced riders/tuners. If you'd like to help your bike achieve its full potential while ensuring that it is running in optimum condition, drop me a line via the website. I can get you hooked up with a tune that matches your bike, your riding style, your environment, your aftermarket add-ons, and teach you how to do it in the process.

Both Marc and I cover cable setup, software setup, EEPROM modification, datalog acquisition and theory, log analysis, map adjustments, and corrections adjustments. We also focus on doing all of these things safely, arming you with the knowledge to accurately manipulate your own FI system.

d_adams
08-05-2012, 01:50 PM
^ Yeah, what he said.

gbalias
08-08-2012, 12:58 PM
octopus forgot to mention i taught him everything he knows.

lmao.

theoctopus
08-09-2012, 12:24 AM
George forgot to mention that he tried to teach me how to suck off dudes, but I wasn't into that, no matter how much money he said he made on weekends.

gbalias
08-09-2012, 06:01 PM
cause you keep giving discounts. youll never make anything that way!

Buelly12R
09-08-2015, 11:19 PM
The above instructions are accurate for software setup. However, they are incomplete for tuning and EEPROM modification. It is not advisable that a newcomer to FI tuning or Buell FI systems attempt to adjust the EEPROM in any way without prior education on the matter. It can result in a bricked ECM and/or a damaged bike.

For individuals who are interested in learning to tune ANY FI Buell (regardless of year, model, or ECM type) and/or custom tuning services, come check out The Tuniversity (http://www.thetuniversity.com/), which is a site sponsor and is well-reviewed on this forum and others. I have a lot of experience as a teacher, and have been met with success working with both beginner and advanced riders/tuners. If you'd like to help your bike achieve its full potential while ensuring that it is running in optimum condition, drop me a line via the website. I can get you hooked up with a tune that matches your bike, your riding style, your environment, your aftermarket add-ons, and teach you how to do it in the process.

Both Marc and I cover cable setup, software setup, EEPROM modification, datalog acquisition and theory, log analysis, map adjustments, and corrections adjustments. We also focus on doing all of these things safely, arming you with the knowledge to accurately manipulate your own FI system.

I just sent you a pm I need some help....lol

GQSkater
09-10-2017, 05:26 PM
I have recently acquired a 2009 xb12r with a micron exhaust installed with no ecm modifications completed, so the check engine light is on. What do i need to do to take care of this? Can you flash the stock ECM to correct or do i need to get an a/m powers commander type ECM?

Cooter
09-10-2017, 05:51 PM
Go ahead and search for answers. You'll need to READ the thread, not just copy/paste the same post at the end:) No need to post twice either, we're a tight crew here and willing to help. Check the thread you started and welcome to the forum!

This subject has been beat to death and things are a bit different now than even 4 years ago.

TPEHAK
09-10-2017, 05:54 PM
The only difference is engraving on the case. You can engrave or put sticker "race use only" on your ECM case and now it is race ECM.

http://www.buelltooth.com/ecm-basics.html

Stock VS "Race" ECM

The term "Race ECM" is often misused. Many people associate this term with performance/aftermarket ECMs marked with "race use only" and the common misperception is that they are a different piece of hardware than stock units, which they are not. The only difference is the engraving which is due to the fact that a non-emissions compliant tuning is installed.

The ECM on the left is a stock DDFI3 Buell ECM. The one on the right is an EBR ECM. The only difference is the engraving.

http://www.buelltooth.com/uploads/5/8/3/5/58359505/published/fullsizerender-1.jpg?1495841324

Silverrider
09-10-2017, 05:56 PM
http://buellmods.com/#TabbedContent

Silverrider
09-10-2017, 05:57 PM
http://buellmods.com/#TabbedContent
http://buellmods.com/

Chicknstripn
09-10-2017, 07:45 PM
True those are the only PHYSICAL differences.
The mapping, I believe both fueling and timing, are different.
Please someone post a side by side comparison of the maps.
Otherwise, newbs that stumble upon this will slap stickers and engravings on their ECM believing it improves performance.

Silverrider
09-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Good point ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ LOL

rchuff
09-10-2017, 09:16 PM
True those are the only PHYSICAL differences.
The mapping, I believe both fueling and timing, are different.
Please someone post a side by side comparison of the maps.
Otherwise, newbs that stumble upon this will slap stickers and engravings on their ECM believing it improves performance.

Like Carlos said the fueling maps and timing are different on stock and race ECM's

Cooter
09-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Yes the ECMs are physically identical. It is the program inside that makes it a "race" ECM. You can blame the EPA and CARB for the need to mark the case.

So a stock ECM with a race program in it is identical to a "race" ECM.

Don't get confused when someone will eventually note that there are specific "race ECM" firmware versions. I am unaware of any functional difference between the firmware versions.

gunter
09-11-2017, 06:19 AM
At least B2RIB is different from BUEIB firmware. Didn't check for B3R types.

Cooter
09-11-2017, 01:23 PM
Hey Gunter, happy to see a pro one here:)
Would you know why there are some exclusive race ECM firmwares?

gunter
09-11-2017, 03:58 PM
Most probably because someone paid for it.