PDA

View Full Version : xb9sx problem

05xb9sx
05-05-2008, 01:52 AM
Hi guys-love the forum-great info. k here goes-bought the bike new, and have had all the service done at the proper intervals.About 6 months after I bought her had a weird pop through the airbox,the engine light came on and it shut down- let it cool down for an hour or so and wnt on my way with no problem. Called the local dealer(Deeley HD Vancouver BC)and got it into dealer the next day.They reset the tps and looked for codes but nothing showed up.They said no problem- just ride it. Rode for the remainder of the year and was great.Brought it out last spring and after a couple of months did the same thing but this time allmost lost it on the freeway (70 miles an hour!)very scary.This time called Deeley again and they asked if i could wait almost a month to look at it.Needless to say told them to take a f'ing leap off a short peir.Called the other local dealer (Barnes HD Langley BC)and they told me to bring it in the next morning.cool. They hooked up the comp and did their thing and no codes agian.hmm.The buell tech was baffled- and got on to the official HD tech board and found a related problem with another customer's bike(temp sensor-rear cylinder head) the sensor thought it was hotter than it really was and it went into skip spark mode(heavy)they replaced it for me free of charge and it has been perfect......until now.... last weekend took the wife for a ride and it did it again..crap... but this time it was violent (skip spark)on off on off blip the throttle and it would go away...got us home finally.

If the skip spark has a light and heavy , why would it go into heavy right away and the fan does what it wants when it wants...crazy. Of course the bike is not under warranty now and is really pissin me off.Replaced the temp sensor and disconnected the battery for a couple of hours. When i fired her up the fan cycled (?) and the bike ran really rough and the check engine light comes on and off .

Any ideas --- any help would be really appreciated.thanx

Fock347
05-05-2008, 02:31 AM
mine went into the heavy skip spark mode once when i overfilled the gas tank well to be honest it was more of a bog than a skip spark my guess is the fuel tank breather sucked it in . that is weird what your going thru

05xb9sx
05-05-2008, 02:40 AM
yeah crazy eh! it's like it has a mind of its own

LeFox
05-05-2008, 11:03 AM
since it's on & off, there's a big chance it's an electrical issue. it could be a bare wire making contact somewhere.

mrdozer2you
05-05-2008, 01:26 PM
My engine light was coming off and on and running really rough. My freakin positive battery treminal was loose. [up] Sounds stupid but it baffeled me for a week :D

06xb9r
05-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Make sure the temp sensor stays plugged in all the way

05xb9sx
05-06-2008, 03:27 AM
Thanks for the replies guy's.
Have almost stripped the bike down to the frame-lol. Found a couple wires that were a little worn but not through the casing. Did check the battery connections -had a problem with that before.;).

Could the ecm be to blame? Thinkin that's my next step.

LeFox
05-06-2008, 06:41 AM
if could, but this is hard to diagnose online :o

05xb9sx
05-06-2008, 07:18 AM
True dat[confused] it's going to hd dealer end of the week.Keeping my fingers crossed that it's something simple.

Just a thought-buddy and i were talking about this over a couple beers and he suggested changing the plugs-could be bad reading at O2 sensor due to the plug maybe being bad.hmmmmmmm will let you guys know

LeFox
05-06-2008, 11:53 AM
well, if you're changing that, put the ngk iridium ones in...not the originals. ;)

05xb9sx
05-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Got a part number for those? [up]

05xb9sx
05-06-2008, 06:18 PM
These the ones NGK Iridium DCPR7EIX 0.04 gap?

LeFox
05-06-2008, 08:13 PM
ngk parts finder (http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/apps/motorcycles/) ;)

05xb9sx
06-03-2008, 07:16 AM
They finally diagnosed the problem-took them long enough[mad]. The ecm was the culprit.They said it was weird it was actually running- completely fried.The tech took the bike home with him and it finally did it to him on the way to work- got a blip of the engine light and got a fresh code to look up and it was the ecm.The best part of this is they are gonna wave the code reading and diagnostics charges because it falls under the extended warranty.NICE:D[up]

Thanks again for all the replies-[smirk]

LeFox
06-03-2008, 10:13 AM
good thing it's solved [up]

buellup12
06-30-2008, 06:23 PM
I had simular problem:remove seat start wiggly the two wires that run down the right side mostly around the plug they run to the fuel pump do this bike running when I found the right spot the bike would drop dead.Now this was a xb12ss not shur about the differances under the seat