PDA

View Full Version : 09 xb12scg how do I do a tps reset and reset the self learning system

kamgreeng
02-15-2011, 05:29 PM
Added K&N air filter and jardine exhaust, now bike will die after riding for a while, I beleive I need to do a tps reset. I also beleive there is a way to reset the system where you have to ride the bike for about 10 min between 2500 and 3500 rpm but can not remember the procedue for the reset. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

anrkizm95
02-15-2011, 05:34 PM
'08+ TPS Reset Procedure:

- Turn on the key.

- Set the kill switch to the run position.

- Don’t start the engine. Rotate the throttle from fully closed (gently forced closed) to fully open (gently held open), and then back again to closed (gently forced closed).

- Repeat 3 times. Hold each position (fully open, fully closed) for 1 full second.

- Turn the key off and on. from steven150 post

kamgreeng
02-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Have you heard of another reset for 08 and up. I think you turn the key on, open the throttle all the way and then turn the ignition on. The dealer told me about this and it is supposed to reset the fuel and air mixture. Also you are supposed to ride the bike for about 10 min between 2500 and 3500 rpm.

upthemaiden
02-15-2011, 06:07 PM
If you're not going to update the ECM I'd consider leaving your stock filter in. Having the new exhaust AND filter is gonna increase your airflow a good bit. Your bike will adjust some, but I don't think enough to make up for the whole difference.

I'm also curious about that 10 minutes between 2500 and 3500. I've heard that but couldn't remember much about it. I put a new map on my 03, and just need to reset the TPS and idle before I take it out. Do I need to head towards the highway for a while?? It's about 4 miles of city traffic before I get to the highway anyway. Is 5-10 minutes of stop and go traffic gonna void riding on the highway anyway??

Stevenc150
02-15-2011, 07:09 PM
Many refer to it as a "learn-in" ride, it's the closed loop range where the ECM is actively monitoring/adjusting the fuel maps I believe. You only need to do that for the '03-'07 bikes usually after resetting the TPS.

When they came out with the newer ECMs ('08-'10), they have a much larger "learning" RPM range - no need to try to ride at a certain RPM, you just ride normal.

Edit: Kamgreeng - Since you have an '09, you don't have to worry about riding at a certain RPM. The TPS reset procedure anarkizm gave is the one to use, not what the dealer told you. Do a proper TPS reset and if it's still dying on you post back up.

upthemaiden
02-16-2011, 08:03 AM
You only need to do that for the '03-'07 bikes usually after resetting the TPS.

Mine is an 03, is a little stop and go traffic before or during my ride going to affect the way my bike learns the new fuel map? There's one road that goes from my neighborhood to downtown that's probably about 3 miles with 2 redlights, and I'd have to stop a few times at some lights at either end to turn around and go back. The majority of the time I could hold a steady 3000-3500 rpm though. Would that still be worth it, or would all the stop and go be pointless?

I guess if it doesn't feel right I could toss my laptop into my bag someday, park near the highway, reset the TPS and then jump straight onto the highway.

Stevenc150
02-16-2011, 10:07 AM
You don't have to do it within a certain amount of time, but the majority take a good long ride soon after re-setting TPS. This "learn-in" ride is just a term - it goes into closed loop (monitoring) whenever it's in the engine is in the correct RPM range - the long ride holding at a steady speed & RPM just gives the ECM more data to adjust values with.